Post by olddog »

Great job Myles :thumbup: , let us know how it performs. :D

OD
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
hackware
Swill Maker

Re: Multi core liebig

Post by hackware »

myles wrote:I just ran the numbers through both the condenser calculator and through the surface area calculator. They both work out within a gnats whisker of each other.

Relative to your standard liebig of 22mm in 28mm (that is 3/4" in 1" equivalent), by switching your inner to 3 10mm cores you should get a 35% increase in cooling capacity.
so a liebig condenser could be 1/3 or so shorter and have same cooling... cool... :thumbup:

i was also thinking, perhaps a "zigzag" form might look appealing, and save space...

william...
tell me how hard it is to do... tell me how expensive it will be... just don't tell me what i can not do...

lead, follow, or get out of the way... ankle biters will be kicked...

•*´¯)¸.•*´¯)¤ª"˜¨¯¯¨˜"william..."˜¨¯¯¨˜"ª¤(¯`*•.¸(¯`*•
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

hackware wrote:
myles wrote:I just ran the numbers through both the condenser calculator and through the surface area calculator. They both work out within a gnats whisker of each other.

Relative to your standard liebig of 22mm in 28mm (that is 3/4" in 1" equivalent), by switching your inner to 3 10mm cores you should get a 35% increase in cooling capacity.
so a liebig condenser could be 1/3 or so shorter and have same cooling... cool... :thumbup:

i was also thinking, perhaps a "zigzag" form might look appealing, and save space...

william...
No... What he said was that using 3 - 10mm tubes instead of 1 - 3/4" tube would give 35% better colling performance inside the same 1" outer tube due to increased surface area provided by the 10mm tubes... Even with less volumetric capacity for the vapor it is still more efficient because of the additional surface area...
hackware
Swill Maker

Post by hackware »

ummm... 35% is a bit over 1/3...

so a "split" lieberg condenser could be around 1/3 smaller than a "normal" lieberg, and cool the same...

william...
tell me how hard it is to do... tell me how expensive it will be... just don't tell me what i can not do...

rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

hackware wrote:ummm... 35% is a bit over 1/3...

so a "split" lieberg condenser could be around 1/3 smaller than a "normal" lieberg, and cool the same...

william...
Yes... Must have mis-interpreted what you were attempting to state...
myles
retired

Post by myles »

:lol: :lol:
Yes you can go shorter but don't go to the extreem of say a short shotgun with the vapour in lots of 12" long tubes. It would probably condense everything OK, but there would not be enough contact time to cool the product.

I was really thinking about it in the other way. In the same size liebig you could now run at higher power. I do have 1 short, coil jacketed multiple liebig, but at 21" I don't think I would go shorter.
For interest it is like this - but it is a different concept and quite a difficult build.

rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

myles, you're just not right... :wtf: Take a sleeping pill... :crazy:
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

Okay now Willy Wonka, you must have an unlimited amount of copper and time to go with your imagination.

Can we start sending you our ideas and you do the R&D? Crazy fun stuff. Keep it up.
hackware
Swill Maker

Post by hackware »

myles has caught a bug worse than i did in my telsa coil dayz...

william...

mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

hackware wrote:myles has caught a bug worse than i did in my telsa coil dayz...

william...
Damn, I understand that bug. I am actually working on a small particle collider invention that I call my "flux Capacitor" It uses some of Tesla theories. I own all of Nicholas Teslas auto biographies, and several biographies. He was definitely ahead of his time. The father of AC.
Funny, since I caught the Distillation bug, I have slowed on many of my other intellectual pursuits. This has either been a worthy challenge, or I am just drunk more and don’t give a shit…
But I am having funnnnnn..... I think I will go pour one.. :D :D :D
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

here it is again Damn Myles
Nice lookin copper boiler and ALL the other toys ya make I really felt good when I built my boka and rad's style still and now I look at your stuff when I finally quit getting my brain used up at work :crazy: I really need to think on this copper thing. Nice work :thumbup: keep it up Champ?
It is what you make it
Coaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Coaster »

@ myles,

Thanks for posting the information on your multi core liebig. Very ingenious use of off the shelf items.

In your Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:55 pm posting in this thread you post a picture of a ‘brass manifold for underfloor heating’. This ‘brass manifold for underfloor heating’ is an integral part of your multi core liebig and is necessary if other individuals attempt to duplicate your multi core liebig. I am in the USofA and having difficulty in locating these ‘brass manifold for underfloor heating’. Perchance can you provide additional amplifying information on these ‘brass manifold for underfloor heating’? Additional amplifying information such as part number(s), a source of supply, and any other pertinent information that would be useful/helpful to individuals attempting to purchase for these ‘brass manifold for underfloor heating’.

Regards,
Coaster
myles
retired

Post by myles »

I had a look for you but coldnt find one on your side of the pond. Do you use hot water underfloor heating in the USA?

In reality it is just a female end cap with a thick base that is pre drilled. A fairly easy home build option.

Here is a link to a UK supplier, just for info. Scroll down. http://www.bes.co.uk/products/149b.asp
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

hey coaster
Go to ebay but i would make sure you ask what type materials ie solder I bought a couple manifolds off there for my floor heat i put in
It is what you make it
myles
retired

Post by myles »

I have combined this spiral liebig with my spiral pot riser and am incorporating them both into the copper double boiler. Please see this thread : http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 3#p6891123
Oatmeal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oatmeal »

Wish the pictures had made it through the sands of time.
Through the magic of alchemy, our spirits live on.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Oatmeal wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:58 am Wish the pictures had made it through the sands of time.
That is why we ask people to post directly to the forum instead of using photo bucket or a similar site as we have no control. It ruins a thread.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Oatmeal wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:58 am Wish the pictures had made it through the sands of time.
After thinking about it I believe Myles was talking about what is sometimes referred to as a triple wall condenser. I have a drawing of one someplace. Only know several people that built one. Myles and I believe LWTCS built one. I will try to find my drawings (took me a while to figure out how it worked) but if Larry sees this post he might also have a photo of the one he built. Basically a water jacket on the inside and one on the outside so that the vapor is condensed with a shorter length condenser than a Liebig. Personally I think it lost traction when the shotgun condenser was introduced.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Bushman wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:33 am
After thinking about it I believe Myles was talking about what is sometimes referred to as a triple wall condenser. I have a drawing of one someplace. Only know several people that built one. Myles and I believe LWTCS built one. I will try to find my drawings (took me a while to figure out how it worked) but if Larry sees this post he might also have a photo of the one he built. Basically a water jacket on the inside and one on the outside so that the vapor is condensed with a shorter length condenser than a Liebig. Personally I think it lost traction when the shotgun condenser was introduced.
are you are thinking of a davies condenser bushman?

search.php?keywords=davies+condenser

+10 on hosting pictures on HD, I lost some from my early days.
be water my friend
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Bushman wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:33 am
If you're thinking of this 'inner tube' design, Blue Sasquatch built one and absolutely nailed it. Beautiful.

Bushy, I think the missing photos are of the multi-core 'liebig' (spiral shotgun) Myles built out of three soft copper tubes that he stuffed into a larger pipe. I have a photo of it somewhere but for the life of me, can't find it. He also posted what he called his 'spiral liebig' on Artisan Distiller but that's long gone. Here's pics of two others, different than his spiral shotgun. (Excuse the plastic takeoff tube. The primary soft copper one was probably at the cleaners).
Attachments
Myles Pot Still.png
Myles strip condenser 2021.png
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Same idea Twisted but different design.
Oatmeal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oatmeal »

Now that is a tidy setup Twisted. Absolutely worth sharing. Thank you.

Still_stirrin employs a similar concept for his pc.

Quite elegant!
Through the magic of alchemy, our spirits live on.