? on feints jars

Moderator: Site Moderator

sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

? on feints jars

Post by sadie33 »

Do you throw ALL your feints in ONE jar? Or do you have whiskey feints in one jar, rum feints in another jar? Do you use different feints jars for different recipes?

Not sure I'm asking this correctly, but I hope you know what I am asking

thanks
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: ? on feints jars

Post by Steve Broady »

Since I can still smell and taste whatever the grits came from, I keep mine separate. Right now, I have whiskey, rum, and fruity feints. I also tend to keep anything that I’m going to recycle into a specific recipe separate. I’ve started a long run of one particular whiskey recipe, and I plan to recycle feints from each run into the next one. Thus I’m keeping those separate as well.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

Steve Broady wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:34 pm Since I can still smell and taste whatever the grits came from, I keep mine separate. Right now, I have whiskey, rum, and fruity feints. I also tend to keep anything that I’m going to recycle into a specific recipe separate. I’ve started a long run of one particular whiskey recipe, and I plan to recycle feints from each run into the next one. Thus I’m keeping those separate as well.
thanks, I couldn't figure it out. Until now I only had one kind of feints so I hadn't thought about it. I was about to throw my fruity cordial feints in with my sweet feed feints and thought...mmm maybe I shouldn't. :think:

thanks again
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I keep heads and tails of the same style in the same jar with some new, or used, toasted, charred oak until I build up enough for a run with some added fresh wash.
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

NZChris wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:51 pm I keep heads and tails of the same style in the same jar with some new, or used, toasted, charred oak until I build up enough for a run with some added fresh wash.
that's a good idea. what would you consider enough? would like 25% of your charge be feints or a lot less?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

sadie33 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:58 pm
NZChris wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:51 pm I keep heads and tails of the same style in the same jar with some new, or used, toasted, charred oak until I build up enough for a run with some added fresh wash.
that's a good idea. what would you consider enough? would like 25% of your charge be feints or a lot less?
I aim to get an ABV of 24-27% and run it with the wood in the boiler.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

All I make is whiskies and vodka. Once I'm done with a run, and made my final blend of keep, the heads and tails go in one jug. If there are plans for a subsequent run of the same mash bill I set them aside to add to the next stripping run. If not, they go in a keg with all the other feints. When the 5 gallon keg is full of feints, I dilute it with water to 20% and run it through my CCVM and make vodka, and cleaning solvent from the feints.
All grain whiskey feints make for a great vodka when properly distilled. Much better in my humble opinion than sugar based neutral.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

I throw everything together and hope for the best. Sometimes it is wonderful and sometimes it needs redistilled.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I keep them separate and recycle next run of that spirit. I do have some that I probably won’t do further batches of so the jury’s still out on an all feints vodka reflux run but will do it one day.

For whiskies and rums I absolutely save a feints cut for next spirit run. Approximately 1/5 boiler volume or 3gallon carboy.

Cheers,
J
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Depends on my plans for the feints. If I am doing neutrals it doesn’t matter, never mix rum feints.
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

this is all so interesting.
thanks everyone!
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

I have been putting all feints into a keg, except the "high heads" those I use for fire starter. When I finally finish my CCVM column I hope to make some neutral. I have about 13 gallons of 30+ waiting for me.

I do plan on keeping the feints from the bourbon I am fermenting and adding to the next bourbon run to try and up the yield a bit.
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

I keep them all together and when i have almost enough i do a vodka mash, add the feints from that in with the others and do another vodka.
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

How well feints can be recycled into the next generations depends on how the cuts are done each time. There are several posters here who continually recycle their feints into their next generations and maintain that they get away with it, but it doesn't work for me with my pot still and how I choose my heart cuts for flavored liquors. If I try doing that, the heart cut keeps getting smaller and the heads and tails cuts get larger until I give up and reflux them for neutral/vodka.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:53 pm I keep them separate and recycle next run of that spirit.
I'm with jonny, mine are all kept seperate, then recycled into the next run of the same spirit type.
Jstroke
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jstroke »

I keep types separate and run feints as it’s own run. I also don’t recycle heads. I find they contaminate a feints run too much. When I build my LM, then I will use heads for nuetral.
If in doubt leave it out.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Jstroke wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:42 pm I also don’t recycle heads. I find they contaminate a feints run too much.
Ok , Im confused , if you dont add the heads to your feints container then all you have is a container full of tails........not a container of feints
One of the reasons that I recycle is that there is a lot of useful ethanol left in heads, the tails hold and give up some flavour that I can use....especially when making Rum.
If I had to give one hint for recycling ,it would be to make a bigger fores cut if your having trouble, and use those for fire lighting or what ever else tickles your fancy.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

So, I keep my various feints separate, using then in later runs. I run a pot & thumper set up so my feints go into the thumper, mixed 50-50 with distilled water. They add flavor and abv to the final product. I don’t run feints in the boiler becausE they are rich in tails from the first run and I want that flavor in my product. I sure don’t want rum feints in a whiskey or rye!
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.