Introduction DB1986

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

DB1986
Novice

Introduction DB1986

Post by DB1986 »

Hi all I've just got into distilling gin and have just recently purchased my first distill kit consisting of a 2l copper garden Arabia distill, shame about the additional import charges but well worth it. I've also obtained my rectifiers license with HMRC. I've got endless questions to ask about the process so I look forward to learning a lot more about the detail behind it, trying to understand how a pink gin gets its colour and flavours is one amongst others. Thanks all
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Introduction DB1986

Post by Bradster68 »

Welcome and 🍻. Most of your questions can be answered by reading, then reading some more,just when you've had enough reading do some more. The search bar is very useful. Lots of info on this forum
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
DB1986
Novice

Post by DB1986 »

Cheers Bradster, I look forward to reading more
Knife_man
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Knife_man »

Welcome I'm quite interested in your rectifiers license ..... I was under the impression that it was impossible (or as good as )for an individual as opposed to a company to get a licence in the UK.

With a 2L still I'm guessing your not going into business ?

A quick look at the HMRC website seems to confirm this and even for a rectifier's license it appears that you need to keep records of what you produce and are currently "holding" and fill out a form once a year to let them know. So they can tax you on it.

Of course I could me misunderstanding the whole lot.Its not the most layman's friendly organisation.

If there is a way to register and use a still on the legal side I'm very interested to hear about it .
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

DB1986 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:51 pm Cheers Bradster, I look forward to reading more
You won't be disappointed. Lots of valuable info here. And when u do get stuck,lots of knowledgeable guys to help. I'm not one of em "yet lmao". But I help when I can 🍻
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

hello and welcome
DB1986
Novice

Post by DB1986 »

Hey @Knifeman, hopefully, one day, I'm looking to scale up and go commercial, but at this time, it is just a hobby in its infant days. When I first started reading up on this I understood that in order to redistill already duty paid spirits such as NGS into Gin, I needed a rectifiers license so I applied and got it approved. The application was actually quite easy to complete but it took a bit of time to hear back from HMRC. This is only a rectifiers license though it does not allow me to make my own alcohol which is where it becomes a lot harder, but as I understand it buying in NGS where duties are already paid by the supplier and rectifying into gin only needs this level of license from what I read. One of the main requirements is to keep an accurate record of stock kept/ purchased. Happy to share what forms I completed if interested and this is the right area to discuss on the forum?
Last edited by DB1986 on Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
DB1986
Novice

Post by DB1986 »

Would anyone kindly be able to point me in the right direction as to what I need in order to measure ABV% of a finished distil once the NGS (neutral grain spirit) is diluted down ?
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »