Hello from S.W. Michigan

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Laredo7mm
Bootlegger

Hello from S.W. Michigan

Post by Laredo7mm »

Hey all, long time lurker so I figured I would register in case there was something I couldn’t find answers for by searching, or maybe even help give some advice. This has been my go to site for information about distilling for a few years.

I have been experimenting with distillation for 2 or 3 years. Before that it was all grain brewing making anything from a light “cream ale” to an 11% Russian Imperial Stout. I like it all except overly hopped beers (apologies to all the hop heads out there…Lol). My liquor tastes are developing, but I am still in training. I know like whiskey, vodka, tequila, scotch, and bourbon. I am on the fence with rum, gin, and sweet flavored liquors (like Malibu).

I live in S.W. Michigan about 20 miles from Lake Michigan. A great place to live if you like a bunch of snow. I don’t like snow, but winter is a perfect time for me to distill. Water is colder and no “peak hour” charges from the electric company. I have collected a fair bit of equipment over the past years and a lot that I could carry over from brewing beer. I have two boilers (an 8 gallon and a 16 gallon), both run by 5500W 240V heating elements that are controlled by a PWM controller so I can dial it from 0 to 100% power in 1% increments. All of my columns are 2 inch tri-clamp modular pieces. Right now I can run as a pot still with no thumper, a boka style LM still, or a CM reflux still with column packing (I have spp and copper mesh). Hopefully by tomorrow, if my fittings get delivered, I will have a sieve plate still.

I have made neutrals and grain liquors so far. I am more interested in the scotch and whiskeys at the moment. I think I only did neutrals when I started out, haven’t made any in a while. I have made all corn, single malt, and multigrain liquor. I have my first test batch aging on toasted oak as I type this. It will be 3 months in a few weeks, so I might start stealing some samples. It is 110 proof sitting on white oak sticks that I toasted at 400 degrees F. The sticks are about 1/2 x 1/2 x 6 inches, 4 sticks per gallon. Hopefully it won’t be too much longer.

If my 2” sieve plate column proves to be too slow, I might build a 4” flute with perf plates or bubble caps (or both). I have been retired for a bit over a year (fun story), so I am not chomping at the bit to spend tons of money, but I don’t want to have a 20 hour run on 15 gallons of low wines either. From what I have read here, I might only run with two plates. My goal is to get between 120 to 140 proof out of the plate still when running 80 proof low wines. It should be interesting that’s for sure. :)

Anyway, thanks for having me and hopefully I can give back a little, as I have already learned a bunch from you all over the past few years. Cheers!
Last edited by Laredo7mm on Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hello from S.W. Michigan

Post by subbrew »

Welcome. Sounds like you are well on your way and have some cool toys. Only thing I saw to comment on is 90 proof would be 45% low wine and for safety it is recommended here to not run low wines at more than 40%.

And who are you calling a hop head? :) I assume your 11% stout is pushing over 80 ibu. LOL
Laredo7mm
Bootlegger

Post by Laredo7mm »

Ahhh, yes, you caught my typo. 80 proof, not 90. I fixed it in my post. :)

I don’t remember what my IBU was for that RIS. I couldn’t really taste any distinct hoppyness with all the other strong flavors. I aged a small amount of it on toasted oak and port wine and then added that back in to the 5 gallon batch. It was some good stuff. It was over 600 calories for a 16 ounce glass and would definitely sneak up on you.
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

hello and welcome
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Laredo7mm wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:55 pm Ahhh, yes, you caught my typo. 80 proof, not 90. I fixed it in my post. :)

I don’t remember what my IBU was for that RIS. I couldn’t really taste any distinct hoppyness with all the other strong flavors. I aged a small amount of it on toasted oak and port wine and then added that back in to the 5 gallon batch. It was some good stuff. It was over 600 calories for a 16 ounce glass and would definitely sneak up on you.
My next years is in the fermenter. I push 100 ibu and it really isn't that good for 6 months, but a 9 months to a year it is good stuff. Not sure where this years will finish. I have had it go from 9.5% to 11.5%, same recipe but some years just don't finish as well. I will have to try and oak and port idea.

I had a stout in a brewery in Salem, OR that the mash was a mix of a stout mash and pinot grape juice. It was wonderful. That port idea might be close.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Welcome and 🍻. Spent alot of time in Detroit city. Great place to see concerts back in my day.
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.