Hello from The Yukon

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

STILL WORKIN
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hello from The Yukon

Post by STILL WORKIN »

Well, after about 3 months of reading and trying to understand something I had no clue about, I have a new vevor 10 gal no thumper still.
It has a 3 day old "bubbling" sugar wash in it and as my wife said "unfreaking believable".
I have learned the cold is quite a challenge. I have my pot beside the propane heater with a blanket over it, but again its working.
My intention is to retire( or what ever) some day soon and was looking for something to keep me busy. I'm very sure I have found it.
So if i ask some really stupid questions about Mash or distillation or temps or or or. I'm very sure I wont get beat up.
Oh yes, I love very shiny copper as well. CHEERS!
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Re: Hello from The Yukon

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Welcome.

Lucky you! I had a last workday today... and I would like to retire but... just gotta work for 20 years more.

How is the Yukon now?

har druckit för mycket
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Hello and welcome aboard
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Welcome. I do suppose temp control might be a bit difficult in the Yukon this time of year. -12F here last night, but am sure that was nothing to what you had. Anyhow, read away and then ask away. I am sure you will have some unique challenges that will be fun to overcome
Buffalo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Buffalo »

Welcome,
Maybe an electric blanket would be in order. Ha.
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

hello and welcome
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Welcome 🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
STILL WORKIN
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by STILL WORKIN »

I'm not really sure how to work the msg yet. thanks for all the welcomes and the weather in the Yukon is great -18c at night and -13c in the day. we had our stint of -43c for about 10 days a month ago.
My little still is still perking away however it seems to be slowing. I used 8lb sugar to 5gal water 1 tablespoon turbo yeast and the book said about 2 weeks.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

You will probably get a few comments about the poor quality of product made with turbo yeast. So don't judge the hobby by your results from this batch. On a sugar wash like that if you didn't use anything for PH control your fermentation may stall. sugar washes crash the PH and that stalls the yeast. Many people put some calcium carbonate, often in the form of oyster shell, in the wash to buffer the ph.

I would recommend going to the tried and true section to find some recipes and use the book which came with the still for parts reference only.
STILL WORKIN
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by STILL WORKIN »

Yes i have heard Many not so great things about turbo. I finally got a PH meter yesterday and calibrated it. My house water (well with a water softener)
reads 6.94 from the tap and the RO system. I'm not sure if there is anything i can do with it now? it is still fermenting.The sg was 1.008 at start and was 1.003 after 7 days(past sunday) . As far as judging this batch, i have more of a sense of humour then that. I'm all in!
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Check your SG as 1.008 is super low for a starting gravity, it was probably 1.080. And if it is now 1.003 fermentation may be done, especially if that reading is not temperature corrected for the hydrometer. In any case at 1.003 it close to done. I leave my ferments to set an additional 5 to 7 days to let the yeast clean up even after all the sugar is gone. But you certainly don't have to. For beer brewing it can make a difference in some off tastes but I am not sure that post ferment time makes a difference in distilling.
STILL WORKIN
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by STILL WORKIN »

Sometimes i studder when i type. 1.080 and 1.030 is correct or at least what i wrote in my book. I will check again tonite.
Thanks for the help.