Corona mill “modification” using KISS principle

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Corona mill “modification” using KISS principle

Post by Steve Broady »

Like so many before me, I bought a Corona mill to grind my grin because it’s cheap and effective.

Like so many before me, I got tired of cranking long before I’d gotten through the first batch.

Like so many before me, I tried powering it with a drill.

And, like so many before me, I discovered that it made a godawful mess!

I read a few threads on here about modifying the mill to make it less messy, and decided to follow a similar path. I like the idea of mounting the mill in a bucket to contain the mess. I was going to cut the bottom of the bucket out and come up with a way to suspend it over another, or maybe make a chute on the side, and then I realized that a 5 gallon bucket is already the perfect container for my ground grain. Keep It Simple, Stupid. I’ll just grind the grain then dump out the bucket when I’m done. If that becomes impractical, I can always make further modifications in the future.
9BD518C6-F5D1-4B13-A51E-F0382C71344F.jpeg
1DB8CA93-C880-42FD-8899-1FB85386BF06.jpeg
I mounted it so that the top of the casting is even with the lid, the supplied chute fits through a hole in the bucket lid, meaning that dust is kept as contained as practical.
593C01F0-FF9C-47CF-A324-2D1540249C24.jpeg
I had a stud (I think it might have been a head stud from a Saturn?) that had the right thread to fit into the auger. I ground a couple flats on it so that I can get a wrench on to break it loose if I need to, and then three flats on the shaft for the drill Chuck to bite onto.

Nice and simple. I didn’t even modify the mill itself at all. I just mounted it in a bucket, which might make a convenient storage solution as well.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Corona mill “modification” using KISS principle

Post by StillerBoy »

Steve Broady wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:11 pm I was going to cut the bottom of the bucket out and come up with a way to suspend it over another, or maybe make a chute on the side, and then I realized that a 5 gallon bucket is already the perfect container for my ground grain. But having to handle the weight of the mill..
I went the route of cutting out the bottom, for two reasons..

one I could fit the bucket, which the mill is mounted too, inside a smaller bucket, thereby facilitating the emptying of the milled grains.. secondly all the buckets could be stored together as a unit..

Mars
Attachments
DSC0084911.jpg
DSC012201.jpg
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Mars, yours was one of my inspirations. I spent a fair bit of time thinking about mounting a wiper motor. It’s still on my list of possible improvements.

I’m not too worried about the weight, at least not yet. Since I currently ferment ~5 gallon batches, that’s 9-10 lbs of grain. It will hopefully be a long time before I have to worry about lifting 15-20 lbs. it’s definitely something to think about for the future, but right now I should be okay. Fair point though, and one I hadn’t considered.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

how long would it take to grind say 100 lbs of whole corn with that thing you recon?
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

I’m not sure. I hope to get a chance to grind my next batch in a couple days. I’ll time that and extrapolate from there. Of course, for 100# I’d knock the bottom out and put the bucket over a larger container. I’ll only be doing about 9-10# at a time.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Mine is mounted to a cart with adjustable shelf underneath. I currently use a drill to mill. But am thinking about a motorized version of some kind. I can do 12lbs in 5min. Works great
Attachments
20230207_100426.jpg
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

Bradster68 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:08 am I can do 12lbs in 5min. Works great
12 lbs of whole corn in 5 min? I thought I had read those are not great for corn.
zach
Swill Maker

Post by zach »

I found a plastic container at dollar tree to increase the capacity of the hopper to about a 1/2 gallon.
771218.jpg
771218.jpg (1 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
I cut the bottom out and place it up side down in the oem hopper.

My drill motor and my arm need a rest each time I need to refill.
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

Ah the KISS principle, my arch-nemesis.

Just shared this yesterday in a different thread, but more relevant here. WIP; put on hold due to moving, should be finished by the end of the year however. Still need legs. Should be able to tighten/loosen with it in-place, to adjust the grind. Im sure we will swap out the Corona Mill for something down the road.

"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

squigglefunk wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:19 am
12 lbs of whole corn in 5 min? I thought I had read those are not great for corn.
No I don't buy whole,so not sure about that. Only cracked. I get it cheap so figure why wrestle with whole. Cracked works flawlessly.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

Bradster68 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:30 am No I don't buy whole,so not sure about that. Only cracked. I get it cheap so figure why wrestle with whole. Cracked works flawlessly.
true, I can get 80lb bags of cracked for 14 bucks... so it would take about half an hour to grind that down to flour?
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

squigglefunk wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:35 am
Bradster68 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:30 am No I don't buy whole,so not sure about that. Only cracked. I get it cheap so figure why wrestle with whole. Cracked works flawlessly.
true, I can get 80lb bags of cracked for 14 bucks... so it would take about half an hour to grind that down to flour?
Exactly. I have a heavy duty cordless drill that makes easy work for grinding grains. 1/2 hour is great time for 80lbs.🍻
zach
Swill Maker

Post by zach »

If you want a fine grind corn meal with a corona, starting with cracked corn, my experience is it takes two runs through the mill. Adjust the mill clearance for the 2nd run. I have a 1/2" corded drill that overheats if I try to go too fine the first run.

I found a local restaurant supplier for corn meal, $34 for 50 lbs, so it's been awhile.
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

Bradster68 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:30 am
squigglefunk wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:19 am
No I don't buy whole,so not sure about that. Only cracked. I get it cheap so figure why wrestle with whole. Cracked works flawlessly.
I use a corona to grind tractor supply corn. It usually has preservatives sprayed on it so I rinse it before grinding. The cracked corn absorbs more water than whole which makes it cake up around the output so I use the whole corn.

You can get coarse meal with two passes on a corona.

I use a low speed (600 rpm) corded drill and I need a rest before it does!
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

The cracked corn absorbs more water than whole which makes it cake up around the output so I use the whole corn.

Not sure what you mean. Once ground they should both be pretty much the same. The better or finer the grind the better conversion you'll get. Do you mean the cracked is caking up in your mill?

You can get coarse meal with two passes on a corona.

I get a nice fine grind once through,but go twice cause I'm ocd.
My last conversion was quite good. Unless your paying double the price for cracked, like SF said it's around 15 bucks for a bag of cracked and much easier to work with.
Just saying 🍻
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Here's a reference thread for the corona mill platform if interested ->
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/my ... ion.90849/

I did this a while back thinking it would be cheap and good enough and ended up replacing it with an agristore grinder. Now I use the corona in the kitchen hand cranked to make a bit of flour when I order grains :) ..

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:13 am Here's a reference thread for the corona mill platform if interested ->
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/my ... ion.90849/

I did this a while back thinking it would be cheap and good enough and ended up replacing it with an agristore grinder. Now I use the corona in the kitchen hand cranked to make a bit of flour when I order grains :) ..

Cheers!
-jonny
Great link. I'm already a member of that forum . :thumbup: .
I needed to step up my all-grain brewing, so I was told by SS to learn how to make beer.
That was the first one I found.
My mill (the hullwrecker) only crushes grains. It does not make a flour. It was cheap and the reviews were pretty good.
But I did have to make some modifications as the rollers were not parallel. A little machining and it's worked great so far.
It's a great starting mill for a beginner without breaking the bank.
The agristore grinders are much nicer. If mi e kicks the bucket,maybe one will be in my future. 👍
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

Bradster68 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:09 am Not sure what you mean.
The tractor supply stuff may have sodium proprianate sprayed on it as a preservative. I rinse it a couple of times BEFORE grinding. Not sure that's really needed but I do it.

The cracked stuff carrys more water into the mill and it cakes up on the output side. Not a big deal just need to wipe it into the bucket every so often.

So for me the whole corn ends up being easier and a tiny bit cheaper. I could probably get a finer grind in two passes but I'm only mildly ocd.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

elbono wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:45 am
Bradster68 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:09 am Not sure what you mean.
The tractor supply stuff may have sodium proprianate sprayed on it as a preservative. I rinse it a couple of times BEFORE grinding. Not sure that's really needed but I do it.

The cracked stuff carrys more water into the mill and it cakes up on the output side. Not a big deal just need to wipe it into the bucket every so often.

So for me the whole corn ends up being easier and a tiny bit cheaper. I could probably get a finer grind in two passes but I'm only mildly ocd.
Ahhh.sorry I see now. My mistake. U wash corn and that's why it gums up a little.
I figure boiling it is good enough for me so I don't rinse my cracked and im possibly rinsing away some goodness.
Also I tried wet grain through mine and it was not good. Also gummed up.
Only dry now through the crusher.
🍻
Big River
Novice

Post by Big River »

This is slick, ima set mine up like that. Thanks
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

I just gave this mill its first powered run. Running my bourbon grain bill which is a mix of malted corn, barley, flaked rye and oats. 9 lbs in total, and I could run through it in under 5 minutes. Half of that time was spent refilling the rather small hopper. I could put a bigger hopper on it, but I think the 3/8” drill appreciated the breaks. I ended up running everything through the mill 3 times, trying to find the finest setting that it can handle. All told, I spent maybe 20 minutes from start to finish, including a fair bit of time adjusting and testing. I think I could easily and reliably run a batch in 10 minutes.

So for me, using a decent but not overly large or powerful 3/8” drill to power it, it seems to take me about 1 minutes per pound of grain. There are plenty of ways to improve the efficiency, mostly adding a better motor and a larger hopper, but it works plenty well enough for my needs at the moment. I’m VERY glad I did this!
rull_bull
Novice

Post by rull_bull »

If you have access to a 3D printer then you can print this extender.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4656650

I have printed one for my corona mill and it fits perfectly.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Using this mill setup again today, I’ve got a few more thoughts. First of all, I think I can grind finer by hand than I can with a drill. I’m thinking about a windshield wiper motor, but for now it’s working well enough.

Here’s a sample of a first, second, and third grind:
A9B2DE6B-976F-4DCA-8E52-9670DA29998D.jpeg
Second, I am starting to understand why people who have done this before prefer to cut the bottom out and let the grain fall into another container. As it is, I have to disconnect the drill in order to dump the grain out. Not a big deal, but I can see why it would be preferable to not have to bother.

Third, I might cut the bucket lid in half so that I can adjust the grind more easily. My first try with this today, I had the grind set too fine and the drill just couldn’t handle it. I had to open the lid to adjust it, which meant I spilled grain out of the hopper in the process. Teething problems and things I’ll learn to work with, but I thought it would be worth sharing.
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

Steve Broady wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:17 pm Third, I might cut the bucket lid in half so that I can adjust the grind more easily. My first try with this today, I had the grind set too fine and the drill just couldn’t handle it. I had to open the lid to adjust it, which meant I spilled grain out of the hopper in the process. Teething problems and things I’ll learn to work with, but I thought it would be worth sharing.
Slightly different situation, I've got the same mill, but in a metal pipe, see my post above. What we have done is cut a hole and used a longer bolt on the adjustment side, so it can be changed from the outside of the container, just like how the shaft for rotation, extends out past the container.
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
Chucker
Swill Maker

Post by Chucker »

squigglefunk wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:39 am how long would it take to grind say 100 lbs of whole corn with that thing you recon?
I’ve been using cracked for quite some time but it’s kind of a relative term. There is still a lot of whole kernel in there. I do 50# for a batch. With my setup the motor is on a speed control and I have it turned down quite low to a point it lacks a lot of torque and it still too fast, imo, but slower than a drill. To keep it from binding I back off the plates and repeat the grind 3 times, with each a little finer, until I get to a coarse cornmeal consistency. I was doing the same thing before I powered it because it just took too much effort to grind finely enough in one pass. It probably didn’t help that I always seemed to pick a 90 deg day to do it! It probably takes about 1/2 hr to grind 50# to where I want it.
I have the thing mounted to a wall and to help tame dust and bits I’ve repurposed one of those useless nylon bags that come with cheap folding camp chairs. The bottom is cut off to direct flow into a bucket or grain bag and the little drawstring ties it off around the grind plate housing. When I’m done it gets brushed out, the bag wadded up in the hopper, and the scoop thingy covers it up.
Almtngoat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Almtngoat »

It's a 3/16 18 thread bolt, easy to adapt then what you do from there is up to you, I don't get much mess just setting a bin over the top and the birds get the sprinkles. You need a pretty strong drill though, my little 3/8" Makita couldn't handle it so had to go up to my 1/2" Rigid hammer drill on low.
Life's too short to not give it all you have, live, learn and drink whiskey!
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

Steve Broady wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:11 pm Like so many before me, I bought a Corona mill to grind my grin because it’s cheap and effective.

Like so many before me, I got tired of cranking long before I’d gotten through the first batch.

Like so many before me, I tried powering it with a drill.

And, like so many before me, I discovered that it made a godawful mess!

I read a few threads on here about modifying the mill to make it less messy, and decided to follow a similar path. I like the idea of mounting the mill in a bucket to contain the mess. I was going to cut the bottom of the bucket out and come up with a way to suspend it over another, or maybe make a chute on the side, and then I realized that a 5 gallon bucket is already the perfect container for my ground grain. Keep It Simple, Stupid. I’ll just grind the grain then dump out the bucket when I’m done. If that becomes impractical, I can always make further modifications in the future.

9BD518C6-F5D1-4B13-A51E-F0382C71344F.jpeg
1DB8CA93-C880-42FD-8899-1FB85386BF06.jpeg
I mounted it so that the top of the casting is even with the lid, the supplied chute fits through a hole in the bucket lid, meaning that dust is kept as contained as practical.

593C01F0-FF9C-47CF-A324-2D1540249C24.jpeg
I had a stud (I think it might have been a head stud from a Saturn?) that had the right thread to fit into the auger. I ground a couple flats on it so that I can get a wrench on to break it loose if I need to, and then three flats on the shaft for the drill Chuck to bite onto.

Nice and simple. I didn’t even modify the mill itself at all. I just mounted it in a bucket, which might make a convenient storage solution as well.
It looks nice.
The only thing is it's gotta be f-!$#ing solid.
If grinding say rye and it catches and your using a drill
Well things are gonna start ta flying
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
Almtngoat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Almtngoat »

Mine's set up in my garage so the very few ounces i lose are just swept out and make the birds happy, maybe 1/4 ounce per 20# grain milled and i have happy birds so in my book that's a plus :-D
Life's too short to not give it all you have, live, learn and drink whiskey!