Vapor leak

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

drphillipt
Novice

Vapor leak

Post by drphillipt »

Hi everyone. Sorry for this newbie question. I built my still 2 to 3 years ago, based on plans I found on this site. Used an old milk can. Added a 2 inch column set up as a pot still with a Liebeg condenser.

I just finished a stripping run on a wash and have two more to go. Despite using a flour paste, I'm getting a significant steam leak between the lid and the kettle. Do I need the paste to be thicker? Should I let it dry? Any other options.

Thanks so much for your help
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Vapor leak

Post by Dancing4dan »

Flour paste should be pretty stiff. put it between the lid and pot. then hold the lid on with some spring clips.
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

I would have some extra paste handy and as you see leaks, stuff the paste there. That should seal it, but use the clamps too.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Strips of cotton cloth soaked in paste.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

drphillipt wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:24 pm Do I need the paste to be thicker? Should I let it dry?
If the paste isn't sealing, it's because your making it too thin/liquidy and/or not enough is used.. as you state it's a use milk can, meaning the edges has some dents, which require more paste to fill them in..

Paste will seal up as the boiler heats up.. and clips are not required if it a true milk can..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
drphillipt
Novice

Post by drphillipt »

Thanks so much everyone. I did make a thicker paste, and dried off the lid after cleaning the residue from the last run. It's working great. Just winding down on another stripping run. Debating whether to do the third tonight or wait till tomorrow. I really appreciate all of the advise.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Vapor leaks are usually caused by pressure, running too hard for the ID of the condenser or a restriction somewhere, mud wasp etc.. If that is the case you can chase leaks all day long and it'll just keep making new ones.
drphillipt
Novice

Post by drphillipt »

The lid was well sealed until about 2/3 through the run, then started leaking vapor again, worsening as the run progressed. Any ideas?
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Picture will help
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

drphillipt wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:07 pm The lid was well sealed until about 2/3 through the run, then started leaking vapor again, worsening as the run progressed.
The leak was not well sealed if it leak 2/3 though the run.. or it may indicate you may have a pressure issue also..

How dented is the lid and edge of the milk can.. is the leak at the same location each time.. and as asked, a picture of the setup would assist in developing understanding of your issue..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
drphillipt
Novice

Post by drphillipt »

I assume what has been happening is that the steam is gradually diluting the paste until it no longer holds.

I think I'm going to try something similar to what I used to do many moons ago as a drilling fluids engineer (aka mud man) in the oil industry. Drilling fluids would be pumped down the hole, and carry cuttings back to the surface. If that wasn't happening, the cuttings would build up in the hole above the bit was large diameter than the pipe. Sometimes they'd drill through a porous formation, and the mud wouldn't return to the surface. One fix for that was to mix bentonite clay with oil, and pump it down the hole. Once in the formation it would come in contact with water, and swell as it hydrated, sealing the formation.

I'm considering mixing flour with vegetable oil to create a paste. Then as it gets permeated with steam, I'm hoping it will swell, sealing better, and hopefully not get diluted and lose its sealing ability. I'll let you know how it turns out.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

drphillipt wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:48 am I'm considering mixing flour with vegetable oil to create a paste.
I can relate to what you are stating as a retired long hole driller underground, but it will not work here..

I wouldn't be considering the use of oil with flour as a sealer..

What your issue is that you are not putting enough paste for the large gap involved, or your have a pressure issue in the system..

Have you tried blowing through the liebig itself..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

drphillipt wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:48 am I assume what has been happening is that the steam is gradually diluting the paste until it no longer holds.
I don't personally use paste, dont need to cause my stills are not built that way.........but Ive been on the scene when a fair bit of the stuff has been mixed, applied and used......and also when its been chipped off after use.
Make that stuff the right way and aint any steam going to dilute it ........the stuff Ive seen in action heat and steam just makes it harder and harder to remove after the run.
StillerBoy wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:06 am as a retired long hole driller underground
Never would have picked you for one of them SB, Most people wouldnt even know what that job involved.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:00 am Never would have picked you for one of them SB, Most people wouldnt even know what that job involved.
SB.. you have knowledge of the mining industry and what a "long hole driller" task is..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I used an actual soft dough rather than a flour paste.
With salt to allow the working of the dough to condition the gluten in the flour.
And some olive oil to soften the dough.

Roll it out into a rope.
Rest it.
Roll it out again...

Geoff
The Baker
Biker Mark
Novice

Post by Biker Mark »

I use some Oatmeal and the hottest tap water available. Mash that up a bit and let it steep a couple of minutes.
Then I add the flour until I can work it into a rope without it being "too sticky" but not too dry.
I lift up on my cap while working the paste into the gap, and then smack it down and press the dough as flat as I can get it so it bakes in and seals quickly. I rarely ever see any leaks.
American By Birth, Biker by Choice, Country by the Grace Of God.
_
5 Gallon Appalachian style Pot Still with 2 Thumper's and Worm.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/download ... &mode=view