Still registration in AZ?

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bolverk
Trainee

Still registration in AZ?

Post by Bolverk »

Howdy all,

I'm lucky to be in a state (AZ) where home/hobby distilling is legal for personal consumption with the caveat that you have to register your still. (Yes, I have my personal beefs with even the need to do this)

Has anyone in AZ done this? Can you help me out? I think they left this process intentionally vague... I can't find any info on where to actually register, what info is needed, and what the limitations are.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
There are two types of people in this world.
1. Those that can extrapolate from incomplete information.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Still registration in AZ?

Post by StillerBoy »

Bolverk wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:30 am Can you help me out? I think they left this process intentionally vague... I can't find any info on where to actually register, what info is needed, and what the limitations are.
If the info provided is missing what you state is, then I would view it as a trap, and that it's not legal yet..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Bolverk
Trainee

Post by Bolverk »

I'm not saying you're wrong but I'm reading directly from the Arizona department of liquor website...

Arizona Requirements
Below are the registration requirements for a still on private property for personal consumption in Arizona, activities which do not require a license in this state.

Giving your homemade liquor away to family and friends who are age 21 or older does not require a license.

A.R.S. §4-221. Registration of stills; forfeiture; sale; proceeds

Every person having in his possession or custody or under his control a still or distilling apparatus shall register it with the director under the rules the director may prescribe, and every still or distilling apparatus not so registered, together with all mash, wort or wash, for distillation or for the production of spirits or alcohol, and all finished products, together with all personal property in the possession or custody of, or under the control of any person, which may be used in the manufacture or transportation of spirituous liquors, and which is found in the building or in any yard or enclosure connected with the building in which the unregistered still or distilling apparatus is located, shall be forfeited to the state.The still, distilling apparatus, mash, wort, wash or finished products shall forthwith be destroyed by any peace officer, and all personal property forfeited to the state shall be sold at public auction to the highest bidder for cash on five days' notice.The notice shall be posted at the courthouse in the county in which the personal property was seized or at the office of the director and shall be published in a newspaper of general circulation published in this state which is nearest to the place where the personal property was seized. After paying the expenses of the publication and the expenses of sale from the proceeds of the sale, any balance shall be paid into the general fund of the state.

Since there are no links to what would look like a registration process. I may just have to get in contact with the director to see what's needed... that just seems like an overly cumbersome process.
Bolverk
Trainee

Post by Bolverk »

Crap, further reading...

R19-1-314. Distilling Apparatus Requirements

All distilling apparatus shall be registered with the Director. Such registration shall contain:A description covering type, capacity and other physical details;Names and addresses of owner or owners;A correct and complete address of the premises where such still or distilling apparatus is in operation or is stored;Purposes for which apparatus will be used;Photographs of the assembled apparatus; and Copy of Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Still Registration Permit.

I guess the registration permit is still the federal registration permit.... this is stupid. Why would I register it federally if it's not legal federally?
Bolverk
Trainee

Post by Bolverk »

Well i may have screwed myself 😅, but I just wrote the AZ dept of liquor to get some clarification... I'll post more when I hear back.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

You out'ed yourself? Now you have much more to worry about going forward than you ever had before.

Don't sell, don't tell!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

I know it is happening following what some one posted. But again DO YOUR HOMEWORK if it's legal that's awsome.
Just use caution no matter the law. Like they say "outta sight outta mind"
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Bolverk
Trainee

Post by Bolverk »

Well i heard back, registering it with the TTB is is fact the process, and you send all that info into them locally as well.. apparently it's done all the time, but they can't/wont tell me what of the forms is needed... so I've got to muddle through this.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Bolverk wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:21 am Well i heard back, registering it with the TTB is is fact the process, and you send all that info into them locally as well.
I'm not of your country, but my understanding is that the federal level is superior "the boss" in that endeavor, and it's similar in my country.. the State is just tricking you into viewing it otherwise..

But I have to ask, why the concern.. thousands have been doing so within complying to the rule of law..

Follow the example set by those before you.. and behavior in such a way as to not bring attention..

Cause the laws will never be changed due in large part by the profit made by the companies already making such..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Bolverk
Trainee

Post by Bolverk »

StillerBoy wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:37 am But I have to ask, why the concern.. thousands have been doing so within complying to the rule of law..
I dunno, it felt like the "right" thing to do... I may have eff'ed up 😬
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Bolverk wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:50 am I dunno, it felt like the "right" thing to do...
Put your mind to rest by giving it a break..

Learn the hobby, and follow the rule of staying quit about it..

That's what we all do.. and the forum gives you an avenue to learn and share..

As far as I understand, at least in my part of the country, the law enforcement people really don't care or have time about the hobby, unless to cause issue to which they need to get involved..

Just enjoy the journey..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
Bolverk
Trainee

Post by Bolverk »

Fair, thanks
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

When I first started I did a fair bit of research into "going legal". As I remember it getting a federal license was fairly straightforward and inexpensive, basically promise to pay federal tax. Getting a Tennessee license was a lot different, $3000/yr plus $1000 application fee when you start.

Look into the federal stuff, you may be pleasantly surprised.

The funny part is in Tennessee the MAXIMUM fine for distilling without a license is $1000, go figure.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

elbono wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:05 pm When I first started I did a fair bit of research into "going legal". As I remember it getting a federal license was fairly straightforward and inexpensive, basically promise to pay federal tax. Getting a Tennessee license was a lot different, $3000/yr plus $1000 application fee when you start.

Look into the federal stuff, you may be pleasantly surprised.

The funny part is in Tennessee the MAXIMUM fine for distilling without a license is $1000, go figure.
Possibly the difference in “government oversight”, ie - penalty vs licensing is because there are way more non-licensed distillers (moonshiners) than commercial distilleries in Tennessee. Granted, Tennessee has its fair share of legal producers. But, with its rich history in backwoods moonshine operations, even as they’re evolving, pursuing the “illegal” share of producers simply is not cost effective regardless of how the TV series presents it.

Add to that, the general trend of distilling as a hobby (for personal consumption and not illegal non-taxed sales) has swept across the nation, making it more acceptable to the voters. Case in point, we’re becoming a “roll your own” country when it comes to our vices, right or wrong (politics omitted intentionally).

So, if the intent is to sell the products, then legal licensing must be adhered. Distilling at home as a hobby is promoted here. And when you’ve perfected your processes and products, then go to the commercial solution. But, bear in mind that the craft industry has generated significant market competition which likely will affect your plans for profitability. Therefore, plan wisely.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

I agree with everything thing you said but I don't give the politicians here as much respect as your post. They only pursue issues that make points with their "base", fear mongering and sensationalism is what I see.
still_stirrin wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:22 am Possibly the difference in “government oversight”, ie - penalty vs licensing is because there are way more non-licensed distillers (moonshiners) than commercial distilleries in Tennessee.
I'll go so far to say that the volume produced is comparable. There's definitely a lot more moonshiners.
still_stirrin wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:22 am So, if the intent is to sell the products, then legal licensing must be adhered.
I definitely look at it that way but there's a lot of people in my area that sell illegally. That's s good for me, it makes it less likely the po-po will come knocking on my door
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

elbono wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:11 pm
I definitely look at it that way but there's a lot of people in my area that sell illegally. That's s good for me, it makes it less likely the po-po will come knocking on my door
I believe the proper saying is “po-po knocking on the do-do” pronounced as dough dough. :moresarcasm:
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine