Preserving color

All about absinthe

Moderator: Site Moderator

PLAYMP
Bootlegger

Preserving color

Post by PLAYMP »

A while back I had just enough sugar neutral lying around to give absinthe a go. I used this recipe from the forum viewtopic.php?p=7055522. Tried to spare no expense on the herbs and tried to make the best product possible and I think it actually came out really well and had a striking electric-green louche. Taste was great and I bottled at 140 proof.

I kept it in a cabinet in the cold room in the basement for the winter, so it's basically totally in the dark and close to refrigerator temps. I took a look at it the other day about 3 months since I colored it and it's really turned pretty brown and swampy and oxidized. Does anybody have any tips at preserving color, or an idea of what commercial producers will do to keep it green? I wouldn't add any artificial color but if there was some sort of natural color fixative I could add I'd definitely look to do that.

Pics for reference:

Immediately after coloration:
C1apture.JPG
Louche after coloration:
Captur1e.JPG
The spirit after 3 months in a dark cellar:
C2apture.JPG
Louche now :thumbdown:
Captur2e.JPG
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Preserving color

Post by still_stirrin »

Because the green color comes from chlorophyl, it will naturally lose that “fresh green” color as the chlorophyl oxidizes and decomposes. It’s natural for that to happen.

If this change in appearance bothers you, then try adding a drop of green food coloring. But, you really don’t need to do that because classic absinthe will naturally turn “dirty yellow”.

The “green fairy” unfortunately, will naturally age … just like the rest of us.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Prole
Novice

Post by Prole »

Indeel losing the green and going "fuille morte" is the sign of a properly made absinthe. Bottling in a dark brown or green bottle and storing in the dark is the best way to preserve the color. It has long worked for me
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

My 2019 is about that color. The 2021 still has some green left, I couldn't find last years.

3 months is very quick, was there much headspace in the bottle for O2.

I use fresh herbs for coloration. I don't know how much difference that makes.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I’ve used a little citric acid in my cordials to help maintain the color over time. Of course, citric acid in a berry or fruit cordial won’t really be noticed. Can’t say if you would notice it in your spirit.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

OtisT wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:42 pm I’ve used a little citric acid in my cordials to help maintain the color over time. Of course, citric acid in a berry or fruit cordial won’t really be noticed. Can’t say if you would notice it in your spirit.
It may work in a cordial, Otis. But citric acid would be out of place in an absinthe. The chlorophyl that colors absinthe is light sensitive and will lose its color as it oxidizes and ages. As suggested, brown glassware may help delay the loss of color, but it’ll still happen.

In fact, the loss of color actually is a signal of authenticity to the spirit (opposed to artificial coloring additions).

The green fairy is indeed a mysterious spirit. Celebrate her.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I just found last years Absinthe, (In NZ I make it at this time of year using mostly fresh herbs), and it is still very green.

It's in clear glass with a natural cork bung, about 3/4 full so plenty of room for O2.
It's in a lightproof liquor cabinet in a shed that has wild temperature swings during the days and seasons.
LordL
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by LordL »

Something that works wonders in the beer world has been vitamin C, Ascorbic acid.

You might want to try 0.2 grams / liter.

It's a very powerful antioxidant, at the same time very edible, it's good for you! ;)
20L Boiler
2" Piping
Potstill
Renhoekk
Swill Maker

Post by Renhoekk »

PLAYMP wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:35 am Does anybody have any tips at preserving color, or an idea of what commercial producers will do to keep it green? I wouldn't add any artificial color but if there was some sort of natural color fixative I could add I'd definitely look to do that.
Commercial absinthe is often synthetically coloured with a mixture of Brilliant Blue (E133) and Tatrazine (E102). For home purposes, blue and yellow food colouring for baking will get you a decent blue-green fairy colour too.

As others have mentioned (and you discovered), chlorophyll will break down pretty quickly and turn brown. Light and heat are your enemies and it is difficult to keep chlorophyll shelf stable for a decent amount of time.

If you don't want to use dye, then perhaps have your mates over for an absinthe party while it's still green :thumbup:
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Renhoekk wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:32 pm Commercial absinthe is often synthetically coloured with a mixture of Brilliant Blue (E133) and Tatrazine (E102). For home purposes, blue and yellow food colouring for baking will get you a decent blue-green fairy colour too.
I suspected that might be the case in modern times. :thumbup:
PLAYMP
Bootlegger

Post by PLAYMP »

Renhoekk wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:32 pm If you don't want to use dye, then perhaps have your mates over for an absinthe party while it's still green :thumbup:
I think this is the root of my problem. I DID have some friends over and we did enjoy the absinthe. So much there was a ton of headspace and air left in the bottle at the end of the day and I think that sped things along. No hard feelings though, thanks for the tips!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you are using dried coloration herbs, you could leave it white until just before you need it.

If the flavor could stand a boost from one or two of the coloration herbs, you could give yours a color top up at the same time.

The headspace in my 1 year old is currently 1/3 of the volume. I've never bothered to move any to smaller glassware as the volume dropped, but it might help.

If O2 in the headspace does speed up fading, bottling into smaller bottles might help fix your problem.