Hello Again

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

commoncenz
Novice

Hello Again

Post by commoncenz »

So, a loooong while ago, I got interested in this hobby. I even joined the board and introduced myself. Then things like "life" came along and while I still thought of making moonshine, I just didn't have the time to devote to learning the craft. So, I left it alone.
As it happens, I'm laid up right now after surgery for a ruptured patella and I have plenty of time for reading ... OK, yeah, I may also have watched a couple or more of Ol' George's videos (don't hold that against me).
So, read I shall.

I'd like to thank you folks for sharing your knowledge. In reading the board I have discovered that the second still I bought (Digiboil 35 L, 220v) is a glorified boiler UNLESS you make the proper adjustments/buy the proper equipment to effectively control/modulate/tweak the power. We're monitoring and adjusting power input, not temperatures (correct?)
I've also learned the value of monitoring ph levels when making a mash. And, that taking SG readings is important when you first start your mash/wash and after it has fermented. Grain gives flavor and sugar strips it. And so much more.

More reading to do and much more to learn!
Thanks again!
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hello Again

Post by sadie33 »

hello and welcome back to the hobby!