Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bigvalveturbo
Novice

Liebig

Post by Bigvalveturbo »

Please direct me to a link if someone can recommend an article or thread

Background in building a stripping rig to compliment my 10 gallon amblelic
Stripping rig is 20 gallon copper pot, dual 5500 electric. I don’t want a thumper
Two questions

1 Does a Liebig produce fewer flavors than a worm style condenser? I typically strip to 5% to retain as many flavors as possible and so I don’t have to water down to 40% for my Spirit run.

If I do a Liebig can it be built too long? I have space. I was thinking a 48 inch 3/4 in side a 1 inch. I Have space for a 60 inch.

I use a 1/2 Hp chiller and 55 gallon barrel of water for coolant
Oatmeal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Liebig

Post by Oatmeal »

I would think a product condenser has little to no impact on flavor.

As for length, it would be a balance of cooling effectiveness, material efficiency and distilling room layout/ aesthetic considerations.

There's a calculator on the homesite that'll let you balance heat input to condenser length...
Through the magic of alchemy, our spirits live on.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

48” worked great for me on a 5k5w 16gb boiler. Plenty of headroom. I’d recommend 3/4 over 1/2.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Here’s a link to a basic rundown of how to build one. As for what length is best and such you’ll have to use that search function
https://www.instructables.com/Liebig-Condenser/
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

I've used a 24" long 3/4" over 1/2" liebig for 2 1/2 years on a 15 gallon boiler with 5500W element.

I can run at about 65% power (~3600W) on stripping runs - any higher the distillate is quite warm, which doesn't really matter since I just collect into a corny keg. I could increase the water flow, but at that point it seems like a waste of water.

I just replaced it with a 2" x 21" shotty with 4 1/2" tubes. On my sac run (3500W) the distillate was coming out at 60°F with considerably less water usage.

I will cut down my liebig to about 12" for use with my little gin still.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Oatmeal wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:13 am I would think a product condenser has little to no impact on flavor.
+1 a reflux condenser does the separation the product condenser just converts vapor to liquid.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

I made a 1" over 3/4" Liebig 48" long. I stripped using a 5500W element at 4125W (75% power), the product was exiting at 90F and that is using cold well water, NOT recycling water at all. If you want to to make the most of BOTH 5500W elements then I'd seriously consider buying or building a Shotgun Condenser. One 24" shotgun condenser can handle 1100W with relatively high water flow. The same shotgun can easily handle 5500W at a relatively low water flow with cool product exiting (using well water). Stripping with BOTH elements is really convenient and fast. A shotgun condenser can also be used during a spirit run, but only needs barely a trickle of water.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:53 am One 24" shotgun condenser can handle 1100W with relatively high water flow.
A properly designed 21" shotgun and 70gph coolant flow will calmly knockdown 11kw with reserve capacity to handle much more power.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Twisted Brick wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:23 pm
Salt Must Flow wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:53 am One 24" shotgun condenser can handle 1100W with relatively high water flow.
A properly designed 21" shotgun and 70gph coolant flow will calmly knockdown 11kw with reserve capacity to handle much more power.
Flow rate is 'relative'. Relative to what? Half the power, flow rate of a stripping run vs spirit run, warm vs cold water, etc...
Laredo7mm
Bootlegger

Post by Laredo7mm »

When doing a stripping run on my rig, with a 16 gallon boiler and 5500W heater running at 67%, my 18 inch long, 2” diameter shotgun condenser can knock down all the vapor with the distillate coming out at 57 ish degrees and a flow rate of about 24 gallons per hour through the condenser and 1.5 gallons per hour distillate output. Input water is about 46 degrees. I’m on city water and run to waste, I don’t recirculate.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

higgins wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:39 am I've used a 24" long 3/4" over 1/2" liebig for 2 1/2 years on a 15 gallon boiler with 5500W element.

I can run at about 65% power (~3600W) on stripping runs - any higher the distillate is quite warm, which doesn't really matter since I just collect into a corny keg. I could increase the water flow, but at that point it seems like a waste of water.

I just replaced it with a 2" x 21" shotty with 4 1/2" tubes. On my sac run (3500W) the distillate was coming out at 60°F with considerably less water usage.

I will cut down my liebig to about 12" for use with my little gin still.
Good comparison of water usage of the two condensers. What was the difference in takeoff rates of the liebig at 5500W vs 3600?
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Bigvalveturbo wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:43 am
Stripping rig is 20 gallon copper pot, dual 5500 electric

I was thinking a 48 inch 3/4 in side a 1 inch. I Have space for a 60 inch.

I use a 1/2 Hp chiller and 55 gallon barrel of water for coolant
You're not going to be able to use both elements wide open without a wash foaming up and starting a puke. Just guessing, I'd say around 7-8Kw is the max power without drama.
I'd recommend a 1" inside a 1.5" jacket.
Even starting with 55 gallons, you'll need a radiator and fan to chill the water.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

shadylane wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:12 pm Even starting with 55 gallons, you'll need a radiator and fan to chill the water.
I run a 18 gallon still with 55 gallons water, no chiller, no radiators? This is over 2-3 hrs of a stripping run. Far less for a spirit run. 3/4" over 1/2" 4 ft long liebig.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

If someone's already running an electric pump, might as well have a fan and radiator.
That way more than one stripping run can be done at a time.

My preference for cooling water is a garden hose.
It's got constant temp and costs less than a penny per gallon.

If running water isn't available.
My 2nd choice would be to do away with water completely and use an aircooled condenser.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

shadylane wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:13 am If someone's already running an electric pump, might as well have a fan and radiator.
That way more than one stripping run can be done at a time.
I just got a second free barrel :clap:
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

squigglefunk wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:23 am
I just got a second free barrel :clap:
Time to fill it up with a garden hose. :lol:
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

shadylane wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:33 pm Time to fill it up with a garden hose. :lol:
i have a nice trout stream in the back yard I can draw from ;)

this is my auxiliary water system, its too chilly in the winter but works great all summer lol
Attachments
creek.jpg
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

squigglefunk wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:22 ami have a nice trout stream in the back yard I can draw from ;)

this is my auxiliary water system, its too chilly in the winter but works great all summer lol
Not at all envious, not even a tiny little bit... :cry:
Make Booze, not War!
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

MooseMan wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:33 am Not at all envious, not even a tiny little bit... :cry:
when the summer is sweltering hot this stream still runs ice cold. The trees and such are filled in making a canopy of shade overhead. You can feel the temperature drop as you walk down the banks to the water. I set up a nice little beach chair down there and have a smoke and put my feet in the water to cool off. Its a nice little slice. When my kids were little they would fish off the bridge and pull native trout up.
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

squigglefunk wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:56 am
MooseMan wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:33 am Not at all envious, not even a tiny little bit... :cry:
when the summer is sweltering hot this stream still runs ice cold. The trees and such are filled in making a canopy of shade overhead. You can feel the temperature drop as you walk down the banks to the water. I set up a nice little beach chair down there and have a smoke and put my feet in the water to cool off. Its a nice little slice. When my kids were little they would fish off the bridge and pull native trout up.
By the second sentence you'd got me.
You really are a lucky, lucky man to have that on your own property, to escape to when ever you like.
I can only dream.
Make Booze, not War!
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Dayam
You fellas are writing Distilling Poetry .

Squiggle, you’re one hell of a lucky bugger and Moose , I’m hearing you man .

I’m about to give up my five acres of serenity and down size to a more manageable property . I have regrets ….and… at the same time solitude .

I’ll miss the Dam and the multitude of rain water tanks that have supplied Me and my family for decades .

But regardless , water will one way or other find it’s way through my Liebig ….. so long as I’m a Home distiller