overoaked
Novice

Apple pulp reuse for more products

Post by overoaked »

So each year we grind and press apples for 4 products
1) Apple juice fresh and frozen
2) Alcoholic cider (wild yeast)
3) Apple brandy
4) Apple grappa (cant think of a better name)

The apple grappa or so we call it cant think of a better name. Is the leftover pressings rehydrated and fermented on the pulp using the wild yeast during fermentation the pulp is repressed sugar and yeast nutrient added then distilled. After 2-3 years on oak @ 57% results in drop that has toffee apple flavours. Its a but rough just off the still.

This year was a little different so same as before but I have added live rum dunder muck to the ferment. Its still fermenting but it smells amazing and looking forward distilling it

Just wondering if anyone else had tried this and peoples thoughts
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Apple pulp reuse for more products

Post by jonnys_spirit »

That sounds good! I have yet to do a straight apple brandy but would certainly love to :)

If you caramelized the sugar it could be a candied apple. Maybe call it carappa?

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
overoaked
Novice

Re: Apple pulp reuse for more products

Post by overoaked »

Update on the apple grappa rum dunder experiment

Fermentation: Apple pulp re-hydrated with water and live aged rum dunder (muck) during primary fermentation using wild yeast and muck the pulp was pressed and sugar added along with DAP.

Distillation equipment: pot still

Distillation procedure: stripping run then spirit run. Spirit run started with fresh green apples and progressed to caramel / molasses tails cut was made with sudden change to unpleasant flavor.

Resulting distillate collected 70% ABV

Initial impressions: off the still apple flavor still there but being masked by the molasses /caramel

After airing for a few days: apple flavor improving and becoming more prominent

Ageing plan: toasted and charred oak for 18 – 24 months then on to bourbon chips to finish for 6-10 months

think this will be nice once its aged and had defiantly inspired me to try this with fresh pressed juice or fresh unpressed pulp and press during primary fermentation next season