Hello and thanks!

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

-Drew-
Novice

Hello and thanks!

Post by -Drew- »

It's about time that i poke my head in here and say hello (🖕 I'm also from Michigan 😁) and more importantly, thank you. I have been reading from this forum off and on for several years. I knew that this hobby would inevitably become a passion of mine once life settled down a bit.

I purchased a turn key setup almost two years ago and it sat in the corner of my barn while I chased the kids around, shuttling them to and from their sports, etc. In the little free time I did have, I read from the seemingly endless amount of advice that has been posted here. The more i read, the more i learned. The more i learned, the more my confidence grew that i would enjoy the hobby and that I would one day be capable of making a product that i could be proud of.

Life has slowed down a bit. I have put a few cleaning runs through the still and i also ran my first sugar wash last week. Nothing fancy, straight sugar. I went right for the spirit run, no stripping. I wasn't expecting a great success, however, I was pleasantly surprised with the results. It was definitely not amazing, but it was actually a consumable neutral spirit! I just finished the stripping runs yesterday on my second sugar wash and hope to do the spirit run on Friday. I'm eager to learn the difference between the two. I think this method will be how I approach the hobby...small tweaks to understand from my own experience why we do what we do, while hopefully avoiding the major pitfalls buy learning from my mentors here.

I don't think I'll be able to resist grains much longer. My end goal (my timeline is before i die) is to make a bourbon that sits on my bar shelf next to all of the others and when I'm thirsty I choose my bourbon. Not because I made it, but because it's the best bourbon on the shelf.

I can't express my gratitude enough to those of you that have graciously dedicated so much of your time to pass along your expertise in support of this craft. I'm thoroughly enjoying every step of the way.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Hello and thanks!

Post by Bushman »

Welcome and congratulations on your success. Nice introduction.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Welcome to the club 🍻. My bourbons are collecting dust as we speak. Patience and willpower are key
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Welcome aboard man. Sounds like you are off to a good start. I like the All Bran recipe in the Tried and True. It's so easy and turns out the same every time as long as I follow the recipe. Have fun and stay safe.
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

hello and welcome!! I just started my first bourbon. Can't wait to run it, age it and try it. :thumbup:
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

Welcome
Old Dog New Tricks
Swill Maker

Post by Old Dog New Tricks »

Welcome Aboard, Great Place to learn, From the Capital area of MI. if you have any Questions
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Welcome and get to it. The sooner the bourbon is made the sooner it will be aged. I wish I had started years ago so I could be sipping well aged product now rather than drinking sugar head to keep me out of the bourbon for another year or two
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Welcome to the group, Drew. It won't be long before your bourbon makes a well-deserved entrance.

Safety and patience.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

Great intro. Welcome to a hobby you can enjoy for many years.
Cheers