Apple Rum?

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

ScubaStill
Novice

Apple Rum?

Post by ScubaStill »

Haven't been able to find much on this. Was curious so I decided to get a gallon of unsulfered molasses, 4gl of apple juice (store bought, no preservatives), 5 12oz concentrated apple juice and 2gl of water. Didn't want to add any additional sugars, but ended up putting 2lbs of dark brown sugar. Threw some yeast nutrient on....probably have to throw some more in in a couple of days. SG was 1.104.....we'll see how it turns out. Anyone done anything like this?
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Apple Rum?

Post by subbrew »

What did you use for yeast? On the high side for SG but I make some high gravity beers that push that with no off flavors as long as I keep the yeast healthy. Step feeding of nutrient like you do with a mead could also help.

Certainly sounds like it could make a nice drink.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

ScubaStill wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:22 pm Anyone done anything like this?
Not me, apple juice doesn't belong in Rum.
viewtopic.php?t=73806
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Apple flavors comes over at different times to rum flavors, so they require different cuts. To get the best from both, I would distil them separately, then combine them when pouring cocktails.
ScubaStill
Novice

Post by ScubaStill »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:34 pm
ScubaStill wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:22 pm Anyone done anything like this?
Not me, apple juice doesn't belong in Rum.
viewtopic.php?t=73806
Definitely not looking to offend, I do apologize. I was going for the molasses with fruit flavor.
ScubaStill
Novice

Post by ScubaStill »

subbrew wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:01 pm What did you use for yeast? On the high side for SG but I make some high gravity beers that push that with no off flavors as long as I keep the yeast healthy. Step feeding of nutrient like you do with a mead could also help.

Certainly sounds like it could make a nice drink.
That’s the plan, step feeding some nutrients. I just used DADY, had good luck with it when I did a full molasses/dark brown sugar run a couple of months ago. I opted for the higher SG because I know molasses has some unfermentables so it won’t finish out dry.
ScubaStill
Novice

Post by ScubaStill »

NZChris wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:02 pm Apple flavors comes over at different times to rum flavors, so they require different cuts. To get the best from both, I would distil them separately, then combine them when pouring cocktails.
Was planning on a stripping then spirit run making some cuts then. Not a bad idea running them separate and combining for a drink! Someone mentioned just back sweetening as the apple might not come through. All in all, it was an idea I had and wanted to experiment to see what comes of it. Currently bubbling away, so we’ll see!
mountainmurphy8194
Novice

Post by mountainmurphy8194 »

All in all, it was an idea I had and wanted to experiment to see what comes of it. Currently bubbling away, so we’ll see!
I’m excited to see how this turns out!
If barley be wanting to make into malt,
We must be contented, and think it no fault;
For we can make liquor to sweeten our lips
Of pumpkins and parsnips and walnut tree chips.
Dr Griz
Bootlegger
Location: Stowed away aboard the flagship of a pirate zeppelin armada

Post by Dr Griz »

NZChris wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:02 pm Apple flavors comes over at different times to rum flavors, so they require different cuts.
After a few years trying to do various mixed apple ferments, I have to agree -- in addition to blending, I've had some luck infusing flavors with a thumper. Rather than tossing in cider or apple brandy (which gives you the same problem NZChris mentioned), I charge the thumper with crabapple-infused vodka. So long as you shoot it hot, you get some pretty good flavors carried over.

I'm sipping on some passionfruit-infused rum right now...
qui bene bibit est beatus
JustinNZ
Swill Maker

Post by JustinNZ »

Funny! I blended a ‘Rumple’ last year when I made an apple brandy that I thought wasn’t applely enough with some all-molasses rum. Should’ve given the brandy more time. The blend was pretty harsh so I hid it away on oak. God only knows where. Must go looking for it…
ScubaStill
Novice

Post by ScubaStill »

Well, I mashed it....fermented it out. Ran a stripping then spirit run.....the apple came through quite nicely along with that molasses rum flavor. Will definitely be doing thig again. Next time I might use regular molasses as opposed to the Blackstrap. All in all, a 7gl wash ended up proofed down to 40% with a gallon and a half of some tasty liquor!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

ScubaStill wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:00 am Well, I mashed it...
It helps everybody and saves a lot of confusion if we all use the right wording " terminolgies " for what we do here.
The words "mash/ mashed/ mashing " are all used in conjunction with the process of making spirits from grains.
What you have made here is a wash , not a mash..........there is no grain involved.
A quick look through the forum glossary might be helpfully.
https://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.ph ... e#mw-pages
https://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Mash
ScubaStill
Novice

Post by ScubaStill »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:52 pm
ScubaStill wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:00 am Well, I mashed it...
It helps everybody and saves a lot of confusion if we all use the right wording " terminolgies " for what we do here.
The words "mash/ mashed/ mashing " are all used in conjunction with the process of making spirits from grains.
What you have made here is a wash , not a mash..........there is no grain involved.
A quick look through the forum glossary might be helpfully.
https://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.ph ... e#mw-pages
https://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Mash
Thanks, SB....still learning here, a lot to look up on.