I'm Back Again But...

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BaxtersDad
Swill Maker

I'm Back Again But...

Post by BaxtersDad »

Before I left for Arizona last November, I had laid down 8 quarts of JD nuked bourbon. I was really looking forward to enjoying it, and I still may, but...last blood test when I got home in April showed elevated liver enzymes. I had been popping Tylenol like M&Ms for knee pain (bone on bone arthritis in both knees), and Doc said that certainly could account for the elevated liver enzymes, but just to be safe, no alcohol either, test again in a few months. So I have stopped both Tylenol and alcohol. Problem is, if blood test comes back good, how will I know which one it was? I know for sure I won't go back to Tylenol, and will definitely try to moderate the alcohol. Damn!
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Re: I'm Back Again But...

Post by Twisted Brick »

Do not despair, BD!

A number of years back, elevated liver enzymes dictated I clean up my act for a while too. After six weeks of no alcohol, plenty of water and a few sweaty jogs a week my liver had refreshed/repaired itself. Now that I know how well it works, I practice this little drinking hiatus annually.

Get yourself a dedicated water glass and reach for it regularly the next 6 weeks and you'll come out good as new.

After many years of skiing steep moguls and playing basketball regularly until I was 50, my knees are pretty arthritic too. Condroitin/glucosimine works wonders.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

tylenol and alcohol are a recipe for disaster. never, ever consume them both in the same 24 hr period.

if you need a pain killer and have consumed booze in the last day (or night before), you are much better off with advil.

neither is good for you, but tylenol is metabolized by the liver, as is booze...too much toxicity for the little guy. advil is metabolized thru kidneys, so is a safer bet.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

BaxtersDad send me a PM lets get back together maybe drive down together to the PNW meet & greet.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Tylenol can be terrible for you even if you don’t drink alcohol with it. If you are taking Tylenol you should be drinking a LOT of water with it to help flush it out of your system.

I hope your break from both gets your system back in shape.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

I too have had elevated levels. I also take Ibuprofen for knee, hip, and back pain. Drink a lot of water regardless and I have been taking herbal Milk Thistle. It seems to have helped.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

+1 on the milk thistle
BaxtersDad
Swill Maker

Post by BaxtersDad »

I appreciate all the advice. It is a little more complicated on the pain killers. Maybe TMI but I have had several severe GI bleeds in the last few years, and the doc says the only pain killer that does not aggravate GI bleeds is Tylenol. So any other pain killer is not an option. I was taking a LOT of Tylenol, and now I am off it, probably for good. I am not drinking for the time being but I don't see that as a permanent lifestyle change. I was consuming about the same amount of alcohol for years before the last blood test without elevated liver enzymes, so I am pretty sure it was mainly the Tylenol. But it looks like no Tylenol and moderating the alcohol will be a permanent lifestyle change for me.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Have you tried fasting? Fasting can sort out a lot of problems as long as you don't overdo it or get sucked into some of the silly advice available on the net.
BaxtersDad
Swill Maker

Post by BaxtersDad »

NZChris wrote:Have you tried fasting? Fasting can sort out a lot of problems as long as you don't overdo it or get sucked into some of the silly advice available on the net.
Have not tried fasting. That would be the trifecta! No pain killers, no booze and no food! Just kidding. I am trying to drink a lot more water. You would think it would be easy...
BaxtersDad
Swill Maker

Re: I'm Back Again AGAIN...

Post by BaxtersDad »

WOW! I last posted here in 2019...

I last distilled in 2018 according to my notebook. I made 10 quarts of "nuclear" whiskey with Jack Daniels BBQ chips, of which 1 precious quart remains.

Yesterday I ordered a new 3" pot still with the dial thermometer from Mile Hi to go with my old Mile Hi 8 gallon milk can. I am anxious to get going again but back in January I sustained a fractured femur during a knee replacement, so I am non-weight-bearing until some time in April. On the brighter side I have had both knees replaced and so no bone-on-bone arthritis pain.

I still have the Mile Hi 2" pot still but somehow I am a bit reluctant to put it on Craigslist or FB Marketplace!

I have a 50 lb bag of cracked corn. I need to get a bag of malted 2 row barley and some yeast.

Sadly, my 17 year old Lhasa Apso Baxter whose photo is my avatar crossed the Rainbow Bridge March 2nd. I miss the little guy like crazy.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Welcome back. Life just ain't the same without a dog around. Sounds like a top priority once you're up and able.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Welcome back 🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Sorry to hear of your loss, BaxtersDad. I bet those 17 years together made a raft of incredible memories.

There are quite a number of PNW members here. Maybe you can list your 2" still in the HD classifieds?
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
BaxtersDad
Swill Maker

Post by BaxtersDad »

Thanks all! I REALLY miss the little guy. There will be another dog at some point to fill the hole in my heart but not ready yet. NOT going to change my user name!
bigDave
Novice

Post by bigDave »

Hey BD, know you from the BB days. Haven't had a crawfish boil since. Sorry about your loss, and hope you overcome your issues. Still in seattle if you ever come down.