Ordering parts

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Wildcats
Distiller

Ordering parts

Post by Wildcats »

so this is my first build. And I have been looking for parts. I want all copper. And I am going with 2 in all the way thru the vapor path as well as the condenser.

So I had been shopping all around and looking at prices.
Let me say I was very surprised to find what I feel is a great price on the 2 in pipe and 2 in fittings.

Plummersstock.com ... has very good prices on copper pipe. 2 ,3,4 inch type L. And very reasonable price on fittings as well.

So I just ordered

1 2" x 5 ' type L pipe
2 1/2" x 5' type L pipe
2 2" 90*
1 2"x 1/2" reducer

This is for my pot still head to go on my 15.5 gal feg.
I will be making a shotgun condenser for it as well.
Will be getting my end plates and baffles from
Twisted Brick. Looking forward to getting all my stuff in and get this thing build.

Still left to order...

PTFE gaskets
2" triclamps

I will be making my own easy flanges..

I'm sure there will be more... But I've already spent enough money today. Lol part of the fun. Rabbit hole is getting deeper. :D
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Ordering parts

Post by still_stirrin »

Check prices for 2” DWV. It’s a thinner wall but still fits the fittings. And DWV will hold many times the pressure your still will see. Also, type M is plenty thick too for all your other piping.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

still_stirrin wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:41 am Check prices for 2” DWV. It’s a thinner wall but still fits the fittings. And DWV will hold many times the pressure your still will see. Also, type M is plenty thick too for all your other piping.
ss
Thanks for the suggestion. But I already but the bullet so to speak. But will be building a reflux column at some point in the near future. I will look at the DWV and type M for that though. Thank you sir.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

I don't see any elbows or unions in your list though I see you said, "I'm sure there will be more". Have you drawn out your design? You'll need to set the angle of the product condenser which will require elbows, unions (or Tri-Clamp connections).
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Yes I ordered two elbows. So that's already taken care of. I was going to make my own flanges. Unless that turns out not to work. Then I'll have to order some. As well as triclamps. Thank you sir.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Welp. I retract my statement.. plummersstock.com is not a good place to do business with. They just emailed me and said the price was wrong for my 2" pipe. And are cancelling my order. Bad business in my book. Oh well. Back to the drawing board in ordering my parts...

I did email them back and say that is unacceptable and I expect them to honor the price they originally quoted me. 😆 I dought they will. I even threatened to report them to the department of consumer affairs and federal trade commission. Oh well back to ordering parts...
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

If you have a Menards store near you, you can order pipe through them if they don't have it in stock at your local store. I ordered pipe through them and picked it up when it arrived. You can also check your local store's inventory online too.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Might as well add a 2" T. Then you need only cap it for a pot still, but you'll be all set for a reflux still.
You already bought enough pipe to build a 2" modular CCVM and shotgun condenser.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Deplorable wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:20 pm Might as well add a 2" T. Then you need only cap it for a pot still, but you'll be all set for a reflux still.
You already bought enough pipe to build a 2" modular CCVM and shotgun condenser.
Yep good call. I'm sure I'll want to run reflux column. I'll add it to the growing list 😜
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:56 pm If you have a Menards store near you, you can order pipe through them if they don't have it in stock at your local store. I ordered pipe through them and picked it up when it arrived. You can also check your local store's inventory online too.
We do have a Menards store in the next town over. I'll check them. Thank you sir.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Wildcats wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:21 pm
Salt Must Flow wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:56 pm If you have a Menards store near you, you can order pipe through them if they don't have it in stock at your local store. I ordered pipe through them and picked it up when it arrived. You can also check your local store's inventory online too.

Just got done ordering parts from Menards. Great suggestion. Thank you

Parts ordered.
2" x5' type L pipe
2" elbow
2" tee
2" cap
1/4" x 20' tubing
Two 1/2"x5' type L pipe

Still need
2"x1/2" reducer
Triclamps
PTFE gaskets
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

I hope you were able to save some money too :thumbup:
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:49 pm I hope you were able to save some money too :thumbup:
Yeah I just feel like I've made some progress. Tomorrow I'll get Twisted Brick his envelope in the mail. Won't be long now.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Wildcats wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:45 pm

Parts ordered.
2" x5' type L pipe
2" elbow
2" tee
2" cap
1/4" x 20' tubing
Two 1/2"x5' type L pipe

Still need
2"x1/2" reducer
Triclamps
PTFE gaskets
Hey Wildcats,

I get 2 x 1/2" copper reducers from Supply House.

If its not too late, give Menards a call and see if they'll change your 1/2" Type L to Type M. It's thinner and transfers a bit more heat quicker than the L. If they've already pulled it, no biggie.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Twisted Brick wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:56 pm
Wildcats wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:45 pm

Parts ordered.
2" x5' type L pipe
2" elbow
2" tee
2" cap
1/4" x 20' tubing
Two 1/2"x5' type L pipe

Still need
2"x1/2" reducer
Triclamps
PTFE gaskets
Hey Wildcats,

I get 2 x 1/2" copper reducers from Supply House.

If its not too late, give Menards a call and see if they'll change your 1/2" Type L to Type M. It's thinner and transfers a bit more heat quicker than the L. If they've already pulled it, no biggie.
Oh snap... I'll try see if I can change it today while I'm at work. No biggie tho.... I'll make sure I get it before I build my condenser. Thanks again sir
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

I see my rating is changed to "bootlegger" 😆 moving up in the world!! Gotta love this fourm.
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

For the pieces you need in the future I found this site to be a bit cheaper.
https://www.coppertubingsales.com/
Tōtō
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Tōtōchtin wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:42 am For the pieces you need in the future I found this site to be a bit cheaper.
https://www.coppertubingsales.com/
Tōtō
Thank you sir. I will have a look at their prices.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Ok so I been real busy. And have not made anymore progress until this morning.

Just ordered...

10 2" PTFE gaskets
12 2" copper ferrules
1. 2" sight glass
Submersible pump

Still need..
Water hoses
Valve for water lines
End caps and baffles for condenser

I'm sure there will be more. My ferrules won't be in till the first of the month. So I still have time.

Anything else y'all can think of??
What about a thermometer....
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

I've always used brass needle valves from the local Ace Hardware store and they seem to work really well for both stripping runs and spirit runs. They work great with my shotgun condenser so they have to work with a Liebig condenser too. I'm on well water and send my waste water down the drain. I also use push lock ball valves to turn water on & off too just for convenience.
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

For water lines I use PU tubing it's not as stiff as nylon. 6.5mm i.d. will work with 1/4" hose barbs.

+1 on the push connects. I use these. Short piece of tube on hose barb with hose clamp then everything else is push connect.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

elbono wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:18 pm For water lines I use PU tubing it's not as stiff as nylon. 6.5mm i.d. will work with 1/4" hose barbs.

+1 on the push connects. I use these. Short piece of tube on hose barb with hose clamp then everything else is push connect.
In a quick Google search it says max operating temp for Polyurethane tubing is 260C/500F! That's crazy high. I've been using Polypropylene tubing (200+F) because I've cooked Polyethylene tubing in the past. That Polyurethane tubing would handle way more than we could ever do to it.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:47 pm
elbono wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:18 pm For water lines I use PU tubing it's not as stiff as nylon. 6.5mm i.d. will work with 1/4" hose barbs.

In a quick Google search it says max operating temp for Polyurethane tubing is 260C/500F! That's crazy high. I've been using Polypropylene tubing (200+F) because I've cooked Polyethylene tubing in the past. That Polyurethane tubing would handle way more than we could ever do to it.
Thanks so much for the links and feedback. It is greatly appreciated.
I kinda went overboard with the flanges. It's more than usual. But I really want to be as modular.
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:47 pm In a quick Google search it says max operating temp for Polyurethane tubing is 200C/400F! That's crazy high. I've been using Polypropylene tubing (200+F) because I've cooked Polyethylene tubing in the past. That Polyurethane tubing would handle way more than we could ever do to it.
There are many varieties of polyurethane, I can pretty much guarantee this stuff isn't good for those temps but it's held up well in my use. My RC exit temp is usually 55C-130F ish but it has gotten higher when I wasn't paying close enough attention.

I used to extrude TPU for jacketing ABS sensor cables, my memory is our melt temp was around 200C-400F. Easily formable at that temp. It is tough stuff though, any wire or cable near the wheel of a vehicle lives a very hard life.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Wildcats wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:25 am
Still need..
Water hoses
Valve for water lines

I'm sure there will be more. My ferrules won't be in till the first of the month. So I still have time.

Did you order I/O ports? Thermometer not needed.

BTW, how much power you planning to put into your boiler on strips?
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Twisted Brick wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:27 am
Wildcats wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:25 am
Still need..
Water hoses
Valve for water lines

Did you order I/O ports? Thermometer not needed.

BTW, how much power you planning to put into your boiler on strips?
I haven't thought about the water I/O yet. And I will be heating on gas burner. I haven't got that yet either. I did order the water lines and fittings in the link above. The 10 mm ones.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

What do you recommend on the water I/O. Can't wait to get everything and get started.
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

Wildcats wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:51 pm I will be heating on gas burner. I haven't got that yet either.
I see pics of burners from Australia and New Zealand that make me salivate. There isn't as good a variety available in the US. I used one of these before I went electric. To get the control I wanted I needed a 5 psi regulator it was more than enough for my needs. 20 psi is ridiculous on those burners.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

elbono wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:06 pm
Wildcats wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:51 pm I will be heating on gas burner. I haven't got that yet either.
I see pics of burners from Australia and New Zealand that make me salivate. There isn't as good a variety available in the US. I used one of these before I went electric. To get the control I wanted I needed a 5 psi regulator it was more than enough for my needs. 20 psi is ridiculous on those burners.
Thank you. I will be ordering this one. As I did the tubing you suggested. Much appreciated sir!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

The burner I run is a 4 ring job , all or just one or any combination of rings can be used.
The pic is of the adjustable regulator I use....adjusts from 0 to 15 psi. It's easy to adjust and works well on even the smallest ring if used alone.
I once tried to use a reg that adjusted from 15 to 25 psi.....it was a pain in the arse to use......way to big and fiddly to adjust.
Resized_20210916_124455_1499.jpeg
Resized_20210916_124555_5131.jpeg