Whole run tastes like tails

Moderator: Site Moderator

Blove88
Novice

Whole run tastes like tails

Post by Blove88 »

I have recently been using. A 13 gal milk can with 2" pipe and 2" shotgun condenser using a 5500 w element that puts out about 22 amps to heat up I have been turning the element up full blast till it starts to warm up at around 100 degrees if I catch it in time I try to back it off to around 15 amps tomorrow I'm going to try to back it down to 10 amps I've been using a 10 gal wash and throwing out the first jar Ive been running at around 12 amps and that's about a jar every 30 min or so maybe more it is a stream coming out of the condenser I would say the size of a pencil lead but but I turned the heat all the way up and I would also call the stream the size of a pencil lead only I was getting a qt jar about every 10 min probably faster at this time I wasn't really paying attention but just running normal my 4 runs I'd say that whole run hast tasted and smelled like tails
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Re: Whole run tastes like tails

Post by OtisT »

Was this run your first run with that ferment? If so, read up on the stripping and spirit run protocol, then rerun what you collected (low wines) for a Spirit Run. That should clean it up nicely.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

First tell us about your wash. Are you trying for a one run and done.
Blove88
Novice

Post by Blove88 »

It has been several washes pineapple brandy apple brandy last one was sweet feed I can't remember the others but they all tasted the same exact same so much you can't taste the character of the mash I've also used a black trash can from Walmart it is def not food grade to ferment in I've recently ordered a 20 gal white brute trash can that is food grade just in case some how the alcohol is breaking the chemicals down in the plastic but my highest gravity was a 1090 most are around a 70 I tried to run about a jar every 30 min at first when it didn't clean up I turned it up and stripped it to do a spirit run to try and clean it up before this started happening I had several successful runs and I can't figure out what's going on besides the condenser witch I have another 2" shotgun on the way from mile high I've changed the whole setup with new clean parts I took a break for 8 mos to a yr so I don't remember exactly how fast I ran previously but the product was amazing
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I run a 2" pot on a 13 gallon milk can with a 5500W element, and I'm at about 6 amps for the first couple 300ml jars, then gradually increase power to 10a before leaving it alone on the spirit run.
That power output gets me a 300ml jar every 12 to 13 minutes.
The middle hearts jars are 600ml, and take about 26 minutes if I recall. I don't have access to my notes at the moment.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Holy run on scentence Batman :shock:

You still haven't told us the most basic aspect of HOW you are distilling. FIRST ... are you trying to distill your fermented wash in a SINGLE distillation using a basic pot still? Are you using any bubble caps/plates?

If you are using a basic pot still, you should do a quick stripping run THEN do a slow spirit run. Lastly make your cuts.
Blove88
Novice

Post by Blove88 »

Thank you deplorable what's your heat up procedure and why so slow at first and then speed up
Blove88
Novice

Post by Blove88 »

Salt must flow if I was using a reflux column or bubble plates or a thumper or anything else I would have stated so as far as the run on sentence I'm a rancher not an English teacher Im running in pot still mode and I run slow as a one and done at least slow to me at first after a few jars when you should be in the hearts tasted like tails I turned it up and did a stripping run
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

There’s your problem. You can’t expect an excellent product if you are pot stilling in a single run unless you run VERY slow. Single runs can be done on a pot still, but you usually need a pretty big boiler charge to avoid the smearing and you’ll need to have a very healthy ferment prior to distillation and again, run very slow. Drips, not a stream.

I do single runs all the time, but I have a plated column which helps keep the smearing at bay while also bringing in bold flavor.

In the future I suggest you collect enough low wines from stripping runs to fill your boiler and you’ll have much easier cuts and a better product. You’ll also get better overall hearts yield. It takes patience, but patience will reward you.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Deplorable wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:34 pm I run a 2" pot on a 13 gallon milk can with a 5500W element, and I'm at about 6 amps for the first couple 300ml jars, then gradually increase power to 10a before leaving it alone on the spirit run.
That power output gets me a 300ml jar every 12 to 13 minutes.
The middle hearts jars are 600ml, and take about 26 minutes if I recall. I don't have access to my notes at the moment.
+1
The pencil lead stream isn’t set in stone for every Still. Fast and hard for the strip. Slow and low for the spirit run.
The spirit run isn’t a race. It’s a journey.
The pots schmear and in my experience patience pays off in the end.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Blove88
Novice

Post by Blove88 »

Brian stone thank you guys like I said said for several runs everything went well then all of a sudden not so well maybe I got complacent and am trying to run to fast how fast can you heat your still up
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

You may also consider trying out the practice of doing several stripping runs followed by a spirit run. Strip it fast with high power, just to increase the ABV, and after collecting approximately three runs, the combined spirit run is run slow. The higher alcohol percentage reduces the amount of energy it takes to distill your final product, and makes it easier to keep heads and tails out of your hearts jars. A one and done approach makes it much trickier to get a good jar.

Read till your eyes bleed - it's all here in this forum.
Blove88
Novice

Post by Blove88 »

Thank you bilgriss
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

As many have said do the stripping runs and then a slow spirit run. I don't know my amps but I run about 900 watts on the spirit run. That give 300 ml every 10 to 11 min. It is just a stream, a bit less power and it is broken stream. When it breaks down to a broken stream I up the power 25 watts and that usually brings it back to a stream. Pencil lead comes in many sizes so that never told me much.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Have you got any copper in the still?

Where?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Tails throughout sounds to me like ran too hard .
I think that Pot stills should be run with a strip first then Spirit Run protocol …. So what I comment about is based on that . ( thats what I do )

I have always hated the Pencil lead stream analogy when it comes to Spirit Runs . Sure , its a ball park between a drip and a piss’n mule , but its nothing more . As stated , pencil leads also vary in size .

A pencil lead steam on a Litre or two of charge would be smeared to buggery tailsy bucket if chuck .

On the other hand , a pencil lead stream on a commercial 20,000 litre charge would probably take several weeks to finish . …. Totally unrealistic and economically prohibitive .

So a more reliable reference is “how long did it take to do the run “ ?

This actually becomes the decider . Regardless of boiler charge size , how long it takes is the crucial number .

Small boiler charges need less heat . Big boiler charges need more heat .

Everyone will quote you a different time that appeased them , but looking at the averages ,……if it took less than 6 hours then you ran too fast . Tails will be smeared throughout run . The faster you ran, the worse it will be . A 4 hour run will be a pointless exercise . Pour it all back in boiler and start again .

If it took 6-8 hours , with closer to 8 , then you will have some damn good separation and tails smearing should be minimal ….. giving you a good chance with the Cuts process .

If you can be bothered sitting though another few hours then hats off but it’s not going to make things any better .Hence , the Commercial guys won’t waste power beyond that time .
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

If you getting smearing... Then your running too fast.. IMHO. Slow down and you will get a better drop. Have fun and stay safe
Blove88
Novice

Post by Blove88 »

Yummyrum wildcats subbrew appreciate it and will give that a try does it matter how fast you heat up
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

Another tip if you’re scratching your head on how fast to run:

Start your run with just drips to get through your first 50ml. After this, let the distillate drip onto your hand and give it a rub and sniff it as the ethanol quickly evaporates, you’ll be able to tell if you’re smearing tails. If it smells a little funky “dirty socks” when you should only be smelling heads, you’re smearing. It should also feel powdery and dry as you rub it, if it feels oily, you’re also smearing. Dial back the power in small increments, leaving a few minutes in between sniffing until it starts to smell like isolated heads. Take note of this power level for that given recipe and boiler charge volume / ABV. This will get you a good baseline power to avoid smearing. But again, only run low wines.

By using your heads jars to find the power level, you’re not wasting any hearts since this is throw-away stuff

I do the rub and sniff test all throughout any run to keep things clean and my settings dialed.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

BrewinBrian44 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:23 am Another tip if you’re scratching your head on how fast to run:

Start your run with just drips to get through your first 50ml. After this, let the distillate drip onto your hand and give it a rub and sniff it as the ethanol quickly evaporates, you’ll be able to tell if you’re smearing tails. If it smells a little funky “dirty socks” when you should only be smelling heads, you’re smearing. It should also feel powdery and dry as you rub it, if it feels oily, you’re also smearing. Dial back the power in small increments, leaving a few minutes in between sniffing until it starts to smell like isolated heads. Take note of this power level for that given recipe and boiler charge volume / ABV. This will get you a good baseline power to avoid smearing. But again, only run low wines.

By using your heads jars to find the power level, you’re not wasting any hearts since this is throw-away stuff

I do the rub and sniff test all throughout any run to keep things clean and my settings dialed.
Good advice. Glad I read this.
Blove88
Novice

Post by Blove88 »

BrewinBrian44 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:23 am Another tip if you’re scratching your head on how fast to run:

Thank you sir I will def try that