Fermenting in Still Pot

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shoie33
Novice

Fermenting in Still Pot

Post by Shoie33 »

Hello,

To the "still snobs" please be kind (relax I'm only poking fun). Just kidding, I can take it, if I'm missing something would like to know up front. NO offense to anyone, but tradition holds zero value to me. "Function over fashion."

I've searched and can't seem to find a clear answer to my question. Little background, I'm engineer and have a machine shop/welding capabilities at home, so I can pretty much fab/modify anything I need to. My problem is SPACE (mostly) and time. I'm looking to make moonshine and considering (yes you guessed it, the evil cheap Vevor units). Reason being is the wide open top (I understand seals are shit mostly). I could get/make a different set up just curious if there are major flaws in my thinking.

MY QUESTION: Could one use a still pot to make mash with "mesh bag" or the stainless sieves....then use a bubbler and yeast....ferment in same pot "on" the grains. Once done fermenting, remove the bag and contents......move it straight the the burner to distill?

I'm assuming you will still have yeast that will settle, maybe burn in the bottom?

Is this feasible? Are there major pitfalls?

Again, space is my biggest issue, considering something in 13gal range.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Fermenting in Still Pot

Post by Steve Broady »

Every ferment I have done, in any container, had had a layer of fine sediment on the bottom which no reasonable strainer would be able to separate. Especially since the Vevor stills are heated from a burner underneath, I believe you could have a lot of problems with them scorching. You could keep everything stirred up during heating, which would probably work well enough, but it doesn’t sound ideal to me unless you really cannot find any room for anything as small as a 5-6 gallon bucket.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

You are right to be concerned and Steve's point is definitely accurate. One way to mitigate is to stir during warm up until you get a good convection going. Searching "distill on the grain" should turn up a bunch more suggestions.

What's your heat source? 13 gal is big for most electric options so I'm guessing you're going gas?

Maybe you could look for a 14-20 gallon poly container to ferment in, just the right size that when not in use you could store the still inside it. Brew/ferment with the bag, pull the bag, then let it clear before you syphon to the still.

Good luck!
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

If space is a concern, you could also find a plastic container which fits inside the boiler, therefore sharing footprint. I think I would rather do that, instead of fermenting directly in the pot.

Also, I’ve found that I like to have my still available for a spirit run while something else is fermenting. Fermenting in the boiler would tie it up and force me to only make one batch at a time, start to finish. Not ideal, but workable if that’s the best you can do.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
zach
Swill Maker

Post by zach »

You could mash / ferment / distill in a single vessel with a stainless stock pot or milk can if you make a separate steam generator to heat.

There are several threads on modular steam generators. If you can tig weld you have a leg up on most of us. The steam generator could be stored inside the mash /ferment vessel.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

I've fermented and stripped inside my boiler many times. I use electric elements. I've always mixed it up really well first. I don't know if there would be a really big difference heating over flame.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I think it can be done if you have no other alternatives. A variant could be to exploit the space in height: fermenter above the boiler (on one floor) ... once the fermentation is over, open the tap on the fermenter and the liquid goes into the boiler. You need a fermenter with a tap and a filter at the bottom.
Shoie33
Novice

Post by Shoie33 »

Steve Broady wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:05 am Every ferment I have done, in any container, had had a layer of fine sediment on the bottom which no reasonable strainer would be able to separate. Especially since the Vevor stills are heated from a burner underneath, I believe you could have a lot of problems with them scorching. You could keep everything stirred up during heating, which would probably work well enough, but it doesn’t sound ideal to me unless you really cannot find any room for anything as small as a 5-6 gallon bucket.
I think I read one thread where they do that in Australia (stir while heating with everything in still). I certainly could, but the sealing part is probably difficult. Unless I tried some type of "mag" drive. I used mag drive water pumps in previous job.

Thanks for the input!!
Shoie33
Novice

Post by Shoie33 »

TwoSheds wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:19 am You are right to be concerned and Steve's point is definitely accurate. One way to mitigate is to stir during warm up until you get a good convection going. Searching "distill on the grain" should turn up a bunch more suggestions.

What's your heat source? 13 gal is big for most electric options so I'm guessing you're going gas?

Maybe you could look for a 14-20 gallon poly container to ferment in, just the right size that when not in use you could store the still inside it. Brew/ferment with the bag, pull the bag, then let it clear before you syphon to the still.

Good luck!
Yes planning on heating with propane. I'll look for "still on grain" posts.

Thanks
Shoie33
Novice

Post by Shoie33 »

Steve Broady wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:31 am If space is a concern, you could also find a plastic container which fits inside the boiler, therefore sharing footprint. I think I would rather do that, instead of fermenting directly in the pot.

Also, I’ve found that I like to have my still available for a spirit run while something else is fermenting. Fermenting in the boiler would tie it up and force me to only make one batch at a time, start to finish. Not ideal, but workable if that’s the best you can do.
I'm not worried about tying it up...I probably only do 2-3 runs per year. Its more for the novelty.

Thanks for your input!!
Shoie33
Novice

Post by Shoie33 »

zach wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:35 am You could mash / ferment / distill in a single vessel with a stainless stock pot or milk can if you make a separate steam generator to heat.

There are several threads on modular steam generators. If you can tig weld you have a leg up on most of us. The steam generator could be stored inside the mash /ferment vessel.
"Steam Generator!!" I did not think of that....more or less a double boiler type system. Interesting. I'll give it more though and fish around on some recommended posts.

Yes I have a old beast transformer Tig and its square wave. For copper to stainless I'd probably go with silver solder. Tig on thin stainless you get a "sugar" on back side of the weld unless you can "back gas" there are some paste you can use, but I have not had success with them.

Thanks for the idea!!
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Sounds like you got the means just not the ends. If you’ve got access to a MOD/FAB shop consider a keg steamer. After that, a simple upgrade to a pot should be easy. F*ck the vervor
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine