Flavor oils in thumper keg?

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dfitts1984
Novice

Flavor oils in thumper keg?

Post by Dfitts1984 »

Hi guys! My wife has asked me if i can come up with a vodka with cotton candy flavor. I have a multitude of different oils from Lorann that i have used to add flavors to food and what not. If i were to do a basic sugar wash and add some oils to the liquid in the thumper, would i have any result of flavor? Never experimented with it. Thank you for any help!
Laredo7mm
Bootlegger

Re: Flavor oils in thumper keg?

Post by Laredo7mm »

I don’t know if the flavor would come through if you put the oils into the thumper. I have never used one. I would assume that they would come through. I would use the flavorings when I diluted the spirit to drinking proof. Seems easier to me, unless they have coloring added to them. I know that there are a ton of glycerine/glycol based flavors out there with no added color. I messed with a few when making a vodka based carbonated seltzer. The added benefit being the glycerine smooths out the spirits.
Dfitts1984
Novice

Post by Dfitts1984 »

Yeah so maybe i do a trial. Ill add some to the thumper, run it, and see what i get. If i dont achieve at least a subtle flavor profile of cotton candy, ill add it to the finished product. I will let u know how it comes out.
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

I know people here frown on referring to certain reality shows. I did see one distiller make what your looking for by dumping in a bunch of cotton candy into his pot. You can Google it to see how much he used. I didn't try it so I can't say if it worth your time or not.
Tōtō
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Might have better luck adding flavoring like that after your spirit run. I’ve seen people melt down cotton Candy and use it on cooking shows. Obviously it’ll turn the shit pink or blue or what have you.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

If you distill it with your stripping run it would be clear and impart that flavor, would it not?
Tōtō
Si vis pacem, para bellum
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Try in some neutral first. You might not need to distil it.

If you put it in the thumper for the spirit run, you will be removing some of the flavor when doing the cuts. It would be better to use clean spirit that has already had the heads and tails removed.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Tōtōchtin wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:05 pm If you distill it with your stripping run it would be clear and impart that flavor, would it not?
Tōtō
I’m sure there are clear cotton Candy flavorings.
Dfitts1984 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:26 am Hi guys! My wife has asked me if i can come up with a vodka with cotton candy flavor. I have a multitude of different oils from Lorann that i have used to add flavors to food and what not. If i were to do a basic sugar wash and add some oils to the liquid in the thumper, would i have any result of flavor? Never experimented with it. Thank you for any help!
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Dfitts1984 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:26 am My wife has asked me if i can come up with a vodka with cotton candy flavor. I have a multitude of different oils from Lorann that i have used to add flavors to food and what not.

If i were to do a basic sugar wash and add some oils to the liquid in the thumper, would i have any result of flavor?
Cotton candy is mostly sugar plus some food coloring. Adding sugar to a thumper would make a syrup-tasting spirit. I’d sooner make a neutral spirit and add the flavor (to taste) when bottling. Start with a little and see how SWMBO likes it. Then, you can “up-blend” if you (she) wants more sugar taste. Use YOUR SENSES.

Cotton Candy Flavor
Cotton Candy Flavor
But, realize it will be “trial & error” until she is satisfied with your product. And be sure to start with a neutral base spirit so you don’t get a flavor smorgasbord.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Goonshine
Novice

Post by Goonshine »

Never played with flavored oils, but I have made clear apple pie out of apple mash, filled the thumper with the actual boiled down mix you would make to cut with the liquor post distil.
Worked really well, clear 100 proof final product that tastes like apple pie (with lots of liquor taste) without the half pound of sugar in it to give you diabetes.
It's a treat straight over a couple ice cubes.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Goonshine wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:56 am… but I have made clear apple pie out of apple mash, filled the thumper with the actual boiled down mix you would make to cut with the liquor post distil…
Good for you Goony. But this is NOT an “apple pie” thread. Read the whole thread and you’ll see your “derailment”.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Goonshine
Novice

Post by Goonshine »

still_stirrin wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:58 am
Goonshine wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:56 am… but I have made clear apple pie out of apple mash, filled the thumper with the actual boiled down mix you would make to cut with the liquor post distil…
Good for you Goony. But this is NOT an “apple pie” thread. Read the whole thread and you’ll see your “derailment”.
ss
Gawd I love this site...such nice friendly mods.
I guess the posts saying just flavor the final spirit are all on point.
My point was flavoring thumpers can work well, and shared an example for encouragement for OP to test his stuff out, where basically home made syrup worked well for me, it probably would work fine for OP with his off the shelf stuff. Don't know until you try right...
Encouragement...something seriously lacking on this site.