Rum Questions

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tabucowboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Rum Questions

Post by Tabucowboy »

So I have bought Blackstrap Rum and it has a bitter-tart flavor, which I do not like.

If I use Blackstrap Molasses to my fermentor will this flavor come through?
CM Reflux Still -- Copper mesh 16" ,column 31" tall, dia. 2",temp at boiler,top of column, power - PAC w5500w Element
Pot Still -- Copper mesh 16",column, 23" tall dia. 2", temp at boiler, power - PAC w5500w Element
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Rum Questions

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Your not supposed to be eating it .......ferment it.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Surely you can taste a sweetness in there too .

Blackstrap works for me . Don’t get any bitter tart come over to the spirit . Sure , the molasses comes over but that transitions into a nice Rum taste when Oaked for a while .

Keeping your tails cut out of it will have more impact on the outcome than the Molasses .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Yummyrum wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:20 am Keeping your tails cut out of it will have more impact on the outcome than the Molasses .
Couldn't agree more , good Rum doesn't need heads or tails in it for flavour.
Let the hearts speak for them selves after a year or two on oak.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Tabucowboy wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:00 am So I have bought Blackstrap Rum
You've bought a bottle of rum that you don't like? I'm confused.
Tabucowboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tabucowboy »

captain-morgan-black-spiced_1000.jpg
This is the crap I tried years ago, it tastes like some one filtered it through the streets of Cuba.
Just want to make sure I don't get that taste in the rum I make.

And you guys answered my question, thank you.
I will start brewing tomorrow.
~Tabu
CM Reflux Still -- Copper mesh 16" ,column 31" tall, dia. 2",temp at boiler,top of column, power - PAC w5500w Element
Pot Still -- Copper mesh 16",column, 23" tall dia. 2", temp at boiler, power - PAC w5500w Element
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you make decent rum, you don't have to hide your mistakes with spices.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Tabucowboy, you've confused excessive E150a caramel colourant with molasses. Its burnt caramel and the more you use, the more bitter the end result will be and you need a lot of it to make a 40% ABV spirit look black.

'Blackstrap rum' isn't a rum a category. There is rum made from blackstrap molasses, but anything marketed as blackstrap in the rum world is effectively a load of colorant with some alcohol in it.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

NZChris wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:18 pm If you make decent rum, you don't have to hide your mistakes with spices.
:thumbup:
Spiced Rum is crap in my opinion . Some folk do like it though .
CageMaster
Novice

Post by CageMaster »

semi related rum question, running my first batch tomorrow, if i want to keep some backset for adding color and flavour during the aging is it best to store refrigerated?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

CageMaster wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:03 pm if i want to keep some backset for adding color and flavour during the aging
Sorry but I just dont see the sense in that .
You've just spent time distilling your Rum , putting it into jars so that you can make cuts. When you make the final blend for the barrel you will leave out 99% of those taily cuts jars, then your possibly going to add back dunder which stinks worse than any tails that you just removed?
CageMaster
Novice

Post by CageMaster »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:39 pm
CageMaster wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:03 pm if i want to keep some backset for adding color and flavour during the aging
Sorry but I just dont see the sense in that .
You've just spent time distilling your Rum , putting it into jars so that you can make cuts. When you make the final blend for the barrel you will leave out 99% of those taily cuts jars, then your possibly going to add back dunder which stinks worse than any tails that you just removed?
from the tried and true recipe section bucaneer bob uses fresh dunder to mix with hearts cuts to create a dark rum essence......i don't want to do this right off the hop, but want to save some backset to experiment and try down the road possibly, just wonder how best to store its so it stays "fresh"
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

CageMaster wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:47 pm from the tried and true recipe section bucaneer bob uses fresh dunder to mix with hearts cuts to create a dark rum essence......i don't want to do this right off the hop, but want to save some backset to experiment and try down the road possibly, just wonder how best to store its so it stays "fresh"
I did a strip to 24% ABV in the collection vessel to strip a lot of the fusels out of the dunder, then freeze jacked it to concentrate it, freezing 1000ml, thawing 400ml, then added high proof rum to 25% ABV to preserve it. Mine is nearly eight years old now. Even though it's clear, it makes the rum go cloudy. I hardly ever use it.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

CageMaster wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:03 pm semi related rum question, running my first batch tomorrow, if i want to keep some backset for adding color and flavour during the aging is it best to store refrigerated?
I’m gonna say yes . Keep a bit in the refrigerator.
Dunder( Rum backset) has a habit of growing mold very quickly at room temp with Oxygen .

On a side note , I tried Bucc Bobs Dunder essence thing but it wasn’t a hit for me . Some like it though .
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Someone on this forum suggested what I do. I can my dunder in mason jars off while still warm right out of the still. Have personally kept some well over a year with no issues and no refrigeration so it seems to work for me.

On the dunder essence, seems to me that if you just make a great rum, you shouldn’t need to put anything in it…. Spiced rums aren’t my thing, but my wife and kids like ‘em so I use sugar cane, vanilla and few other things depending on the mood to make theirs, but seems sacrilegious to me.

Edit: Iread back through the thread and want to add, use the dunder I’ve stored to kick off my latest rounds of rum making in fermentation, nothing else…. I wouldn’t add it to a finished spirit as others here have noted. I have made fresh caramel, and even added a small little bit of simple syrup for “ladies rum” which is pretty good, but I can’t see adding dunder…..
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
LordL
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by LordL »

With rum clocking in on between 5g/l up to 40g/l of sugar, I'm thinking weeare going to experiment a bit with dark muscovado.

Run it, put it in a used burboun cask, back sweeten some to try out.

Any suggestions on a specific sugar level?
20L Boiler
2" Piping
Potstill
Sugarshane
Novice

Post by Sugarshane »

NZChris wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:18 pm If you make decent rum, you don't have to hide your mistakes with spices.
This is gold
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

I've never added dunder back to my collected spirit. I concur with those who ask 'why would you?'

I ferment a mixture of blackstrap and panela sugar and it makes lovely rum.

I save my dunder in 5 gallon buckets outside in the shop for years. It'll grow a think cap of funky mold. I'll add it to new ferments when I want a funkier, more estery rum (think Jamaican rum). Mason jars and refrigeration sounds too tedious, and is counter to my desire for the funk.

Cheers!