Woodworking

Moderator: Site Moderator

cranky
Master of Distillation

Re: Woodworking

Post by cranky »

I think in a previous post I may have said that box I sent to HDNB was the first one I ever made. If I did it turns out that statement was incorrect. I noticed my first box the other day and it comes with a story...

Mrs Cranky has always loved opalescent glass and perfume bottles. There is a company in France called Sabino that has made opalescent glass (or maybe it's opaline? :problem: ) for over 100 years and they make perfume bottles Mrs Cranky loves. A very long time ago when Mrs Cranky and I had much less money than now I somehow saved up enough money to buy a Sabino perfume bottle and surprise Mrs Cranky for Christmas.

At the time we were living in a very old house in rural Kansas that was heated almost exclusively with 2 fireplaces. This necessitated us to have fire wood delivered...except in the cases when I was in Wichita (60 miles away) and stopped to fill the trunk of my car with mill ends from a pallet company...

Our local firewood guy was unbelievably cheap even compared to when I was young and my brother and I cut and sold firewood. The real issue was most of the wood was black walnut and it broke my heart to have to burn such beautiful wood. I did manage to save a very few pieces to play around with. I carved a cute little fairy figurine...that the cat would steal and carry around until it got broken and some other things.

One of those other things was a box for the perfume bottle, which is actually the first box I ever made.

So I figured I'd take the time to show that off today, although I can't swear it's black walnut but that's how I remember it. :crazy:
SABINO #2A - C.jpg
SABINO #9A - C.jpg
SABINO #8A - C.jpg
There was also this box
BOX #1 - C.JPG
BOX #2 - C.JPG
BOX #4 - C.JPG
Which is actually carved out of a single piece of black walnut. I did make a lid for it, also from the same block of wood and carved it out with a dremel tool. I have no idea where the lid is because Mrs Cranky has been using it as pen holder without the lid for many years.