Temp went to 106F during ferment...

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

mrfee
Novice

Temp went to 106F during ferment...

Post by mrfee »

Hi Folks,
Started a cornflakes ferment yesterday AM. Started @1.07 SG. Pitched the yeast at 86°. Active fermentation Started within an hour. Last night temp was still around 86°F. Woke up this AM and temp was up to 107°F. SG was already down to 1.024.

Any concerns about how high the temp has gotten? It's only a 2 gal wash, as I did it to have backset for a 5 gal mash.
Should I just run this (it's around 6%abv now)?

I was pretty surprised by the amount of fermentation and the temp, to say the least.

My recipe, FWIW: 18 oz walmart cf, heated 1.5 galwater to 175 and added 2 tbsp amylase. cooled overnight= sg1.012. added in 1.75lb sugar in warm water. 2 gal @ 1.07. 2 tbsp yeast nutrient and 1 tsp citric acid. Pitched bread yeast @0845AM. Actively fermenting @ 0945.

Thanks for any advice!
M.
Wildcats
Distiller

Re: Temp went to 106F during ferment...

Post by Wildcats »

Let it dry and clear. You will get a better product imo. Don't rush it. More often than not.. I let mine clear for at least a week. Sometimes more. Have fun and stay safe.
mrfee
Novice

Post by mrfee »

Not in a rush. Just concerned about the temp...
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

You stressed the yeast and obliterated a few of their number.
They need tender loving care.
Check the PH levels and send in fresh recruits
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

I allowed a large ferment to overheat once by insulating the fermenter too soon. It cooled and restarted on its own with no ill effect aside from taking longer than usual to finish. Knowing I had stressed the yeast, I allowed more time for the batch to sit and clean itself up.

I'm surprised your small volume was able to self heat that much, I find batch sizes less than 20L or 5 gallons don't make that much extra heat.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
mrfee
Novice

Post by mrfee »

I've been making wine for years. Never had this happen. It's still sitting at 100°... going to taste it later and check the sg again.
mrfee
Novice

Post by mrfee »

Stonecutter wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:50 am You stressed the yeast and obliterated a few of their number.
Any idea how I might have stressed them?
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

mrfee wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:46 am Any idea how I might have stressed them?
Hmmm :think:
Would you be stressed if I put you in a room at say 114F and forced you to eat a huge meal?
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Is the wash still fizzing or showing other signs of still working? , if so I wouldn't worry.
Do a simple google search using " maximum temprature for bread yeast".....look at the advice from Baking posts that the search finds.
I doubt you have damaged your yeast at that temp.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

It definitely depends on what yeast strain you used. No sense in arguing the level of stress put on the colony. Maybe there wasn’t any. I certainly can’t ask the yeast myself how they feel.
I stand by my suggestion.
-Thomas Paine
mrfee
Novice

Post by mrfee »

Ok. So I asked them how they were doing. They said, "Fizz, bibble, bubble."
Temp is at 99. The SG 1.02. Ph was 2.8.

Thanks again for feedback. Now to go research ph ranges from fermentation cornflakes...

Thanks!
M.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

If they’re fizzing away and the ferment still smells decent ya might not need to do anything. The PH check was really just a checkup and if it’s readily available adding a little extra yeast can’t hurt. As others have mentioned above you’re probably just fine. I’m sure you already know, it’s no bueno to mess with a ferment like opening it up and poking and prodding.
-Thomas Paine
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

This is along the lines of something I was trying to figure out recently. While I understand the different yeast strains have different temperature ranges where they work best, so they also have different lethal temperatures? To use a human analogy, some people are comfortable in a t-shirt in freezing weather, others need a jacket on a warm spring day, but pretty much everyone suffers actual physical damage at about the same temperature. Is that true of yeast?
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

It clearly says he used Bread Yeast.
Bread yeast will handle those sorts of temps according to the Bakers.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Perhaps the Baker can chime in.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Stonecutter wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:50 am You stressed the yeast and obliterated a few of their number.
They need tender loving care.
Check the PH levels and send in fresh recruits
Saltbush Bill wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:43 pm It clearly says he used Bread Yeast.
Bread yeast will handle those sorts of temps according to the Bakers.
Well shit. I’ll take my foot out of my mouth mrfee. I honestly didn’t see that tidbit of information until reading SBB post. Sorry for the dramatics
Carry on…nothing to see here :shifty:
-Thomas Paine
mrfee
Novice

Post by mrfee »

All good. All the comments, from everyone got me thinking a bit. And that's always a good thing. I haven't checked temp before and seen it get that high. Was just a vigorous ferment, I guess. It's still fizzing along. I am going to racknit to a secondary carboy to finish and clear, later today. No worries, no hurries!

Thx.
M.