Buttermilk Biscuits

Place for any food recipes that ya want to share

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Buttermilk Biscuits

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

2 cups self rising flour (Granny said Lilly White is BEST)
1 stick butter Frozen
1 cup buttermilk (if you don't have buttermilk put 1TBSP Vinegar then fill with milk to 1 cup)
Grate Frozen butter into Flour.
fold flour lightly over butter
add Buttermilk.
Mix about 12 to 15 times..... DO NOT over work dough
flip onto floured counter top
pat out & cut
put in skillet
450* F for 15 minutes

less than 30 min from start to out of the oven

In a 90+ year old skillet a #10 Wapak Indian head
This was Granny's Skillet. She got it when she & Grandad got Married in 1920.
I guess it is a 100+ year old skillet
wapak 2 mod.jpg
wapak head mod.jpg
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Buttermilk Biscuits

Post by Steve Broady »

I make a very similar recipe, though I use a little more buttermilk, and slowly incorporate the last of the flour by dividing and stacking the mass of dough on a floured hours, to build up layers. I did a side by side using frozen butter and butter from the fridge, both grated on a box grater, and I could not tell any difference, so I stopped bothering with frozen butter.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

If you want to be extra special, brush them with melted butter the moment they come out of the oven.
26035CF1-59A6-4DF3-BF9C-66ECE87A7D8A.jpeg
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

They look like what we call “scones “?
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

Archee72 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:35 pm They look like what we call “scones “?
After close up look, maybe not? 😂
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Archee72 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:35 pm
After close up look, maybe not? 😂
No, they look like my scones, a bit flatter than the ones the CWA make!
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
Renhoekk
Swill Maker

Post by Renhoekk »

I love a good old school skillet. Picked a couple up from garage sales over the years. The modern versions seems to use a cheap version of cast iron and just aren’t as good
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

They’re quite closely related, but distinct. One of the definitions I’ve seen says that at a most basic level, scones have egg, while biscuits don’t. Beyond that, you get into a gray area of culinary debate and argument.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Only difference makein biscuits for your outfit and one's for the table was siftin an lard an buttermilk. Ma made 22 a day til she won't able.

So I'm tole
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Here is a tip I learned from that Biscuit Belly outfit in Kentucky.
He come up with this trick in an effort to streamline production cause he makes so many all day long. Works great and is easier imo.
Gotta put your buttermilk in the freezer and get an extra quick chill on it.
Then, rather than freeze your butter before you grate it up ( or cut) to incorporate into your flour, you actually melt the butter in a small skillet or sauce pan. Once melted, pour into your mixing bowl. A glass mixing bowl will help get the melted butter temp down.
Then pour your extra chilled butter milk into the melted butter and whisk. Use an actual whisk. The cool buttermilk will start to solidify little individual butter balls in the solution. Then incorporate your flour that has already had the leavening agents added. Ultimately it incorporates very uniformly. I dont use baking soda btw. Makes the biscuits bitter imo. Only baking powder, salt, and I do use a teaspoon of sugar too.
Also, I do go a bit heavy on the buttermilk then toss in a bit more flour as needed once I move the dough to the floured up board.
Then I fold no less than 10x without pressing too hard and over working the dough.
I work the dough into good high square pile so that when I cut the biscuits they are nice and thick. Like 1.5" thick.
When they cook up the rise up really nicely and are very tender.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

I tried using lard but I prefer using salted butter.

Definitely brush them biscuits with butter when they come out of the heat.

I cant seen to get my heat and timing right when I use cast iron. So I've pretty much settled on cake pans.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

LWTCS wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:16 pm I cant seen to get my heat and timing right when I use cast iron. So I've pretty much settled on cake pans.
At about 3/4” thick (before baking), 450F for 15 minutes worked perfectly for me. I can imagine that they’d take longer when made considerably thicker, but in general I haven’t found to many issues baking in cast iron. Now you’ve got me wanting to make some extra thick ones and see how it goes.

On the subject of baking soda, I only use in in small quantities to balance the acidity of buttermilk. Otherwise, it’s just baking powder alone. You’re right, baking soda on its own doesn’t taste great.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

LWTCS ole boys had more hogs than cows. Butter was for salein. Had a wood mold you press it in. Had a flower craved in it. Suppose to be 1 lb. That's what you'd trade with.

So I'm tole
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Bet that some good butter chere!
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

goose eye wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:04 pm LWTCS ole boys had more hogs than cows. Butter was for salein. Had a wood mold you press it in. Had a flower craved in it. Suppose to be 1 lb. That's what you'd trade with.

So I'm tole

Thanks goose.
I didn't consider why things would've been.

Everything I talk about is store bought,,,cept for my actual biscuits.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I've eaten plenty of scones here in Australia Archee , when I visited America most of my time was spent,in places other than city's. While there I ate a fair few Biscuits, mostly at breakfast time, ate them in Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania and North Carolina., mostly in private homes, some in Cafe's / dinner sorts of places.
I still can't tell the difference between a scone and a biscuit.
Fella I stayed with in one holler called them bickets.
Best biscuits I had where with gravy and country ham..........I'd near crawl through broken glass for that breakfast again.
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:15 pm
I've eaten plenty of scones here in Australia Archee , when I visited America most of my time was spent,in places other than city's. While there I ate a fair few Biscuits, mostly at breakfast time, ate them in Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania and North Carolina., mostly in private homes, some in Cafe's / dinner sorts of places.
I still can't tell the difference between a scone and a biscuit.
Fella I stayed with in one holler called them bickets.
Best biscuits I had where with gravy and country ham..........I'd near crawl through broken glass for that breakfast again.
Interesting Salty, next time I’m Stateside I’ll keep an eye out for em
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

LWTCS wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:16 pm I tried using lard but I prefer using salted butter.

Definitely brush them biscuits with butter when they come out of the heat.

I cant seen to get my heat and timing right when I use cast iron. So I've pretty much settled on cake pans.
if you are putting the biscuits into a cold Iron Skillet, I am sure you will fight the temp/time issue.
I preheat my skillet.
Put the skillet in the oven when you are preheating the oven & mixing the dough.
about the time put on the floured board add 1-2 TBSP butter to the skillet to let it melt as everything is heating..
When you are ready to start cutting get skillet out of the oven.
Put the cut biscuits into buttered skillet.
it will give you a slight "crust" on the bottom.
Most of the time I do add butter to the top after they come out of the oven.

I am going to have to try the melted butter / COLD buttermilk trick.
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

Scones, Biscuits, cookies.......

Another example of US & GB/AU/NZ being countries Separated by a "common" Language....... lol
I understand WHY the thought of "Biscuits & Sausage Gravy" is unappealing to our friends across the pond & down under. Who wants Sausage Gravy on a "cookie".
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Here in Kentucky.. briskets and gravy are a breakfast staple. With lots of pepper in the gravy. Or sausage gravy.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Wildcats wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:09 am Here in Kentucky.. briskets and gravy are a breakfast staple. With lots of pepper in the gravy. Or sausage gravy.
My ex-wife was from Kentucky, and said she grew up preferring bacon gravy instead of sausage. Personally, I prefer sausage gravy, with lots of pepper in the gravy as well. Or occasionally chipped beef gravy, though that’s usually on toast.
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

Steve Broady wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:08 am
Wildcats wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:09 am Here in Kentucky.. briskets and gravy are a breakfast staple. With lots of pepper in the gravy. Or sausage gravy.
My ex-wife was from Kentucky, and said she grew up preferring bacon gravy instead of sausage. Personally, I prefer sausage gravy, with lots of pepper in the gravy as well. Or occasionally chipped beef gravy, though that’s usually on toast.
I was raised calling Chipped Beef Gravy on Toast........ SOS. _____on a shingle.
We had that for dinner at least twice a month. I haven't had it for years. Unfortunately i didn't get the recipe that mom used.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Hoosier Shine9 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:00 am
Steve Broady wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:08 am
I was raised calling Chipped Beef Gravy on Toast........ SOS. _____on a shingle.
We had that for dinner at least twice a month. I haven't had it for years. Unfortunately i didn't get the recipe that mom used.
As a kid in Austin TX. That's all we had most days. The toast with some kind of meat and gravy.. that's what we called it... SOS
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Hoosier Shine9 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:00 am I was raised calling Chipped Beef Gravy on Toast........ SOS. _____on a shingle.
I was raised calling it SOS as well. I don’t know that I’ve ever had or seen a recipe, but it’s simple enough. Butter and flour in equal parts to make a blonde roux, then add milk and a little black pepper to make gravy. No salt! Then add shredded or chopped up chipped beef, and test to see if it needs salt. It usually doesn’t.

I’ve tried cooking the beef in the butter, but I didn’t like it as well. I prefer a nice clean cream gravy with meat added at the end.