Bentonite Clay Wash-Clearing

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

clearspirit
Novice

Re: Bentonite Clay Wash-Clearing

Post by clearspirit »

shadylane wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:07 pm
Reverend Newer wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:33 pm
I appreciate hearing the response that clearing isn't necessary though I've read others here saying it was nearly mandatory.

Thank ya kindly
On a sugar wash.
I think letting yeast finish and settle for a while, before distilling makes for less tails.
Haven't used bentonite on anything other than wine.
Thanks shady, what I think I heard you say is that clearing isn't necessary on a sugar wash, is that right?
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

clearspirit wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:15 am
Thanks shady, what I think I heard you say is that clearing isn't necessary on a sugar wash, is that right?
Just the opposite. :shock:
I think, on a sugar wash, letting the ferment finish and clear is better.
Any tricks of the trade to accomplish this helps.
clearspirit
Novice

Post by clearspirit »

shadylane wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:28 am
clearspirit wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:15 am
Just the opposite. :shock:
I think, on a sugar wash, letting the ferment finish and clear is better.
Any tricks of the trade to accomplish this helps.
Isn't communication full of wonder? We think we understand what others are saying and we completely fuck it up :D
I heard someone say (maybe even a HBS employee?) that "not clearing your wash means a strong yeasty flavour". Does this resonate with others?

Does this also imply "high-burn" rather than "mellow easy drinking"? (still working out if "mellow easy drinking" is a "good thing"...)

Very interested to hear others' experience...
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Most HBS employee's around these parts don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to distilling.....so usually there isn't much point in listening to their advice.
Mostly they are there to empty your pockets by selling you garbage you don't need......things like clearing agents.
Anyway, that's been my experience.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

clearspirit wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:15 am
I heard someone say (maybe even a HBS employee?) that "not clearing your wash means a strong yeasty flavour". Does this resonate with others?
I'll disagree.
"a strong yeasty flavour" never makes it past the second distillation.
clearspirit
Novice

Post by clearspirit »

Rgr - thanks. Trying to avoid the stripping run as it makes distilling an all day instead of half day exercise... sigh...
Going to buy a voltage regulator today.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

clearspirit wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:52 pm Trying to avoid the stripping run as it makes distilling an all day instead of half day exercise... sigh...
I don’t think that clearing will achieve the results you want, for multiple reasons. Why not do the stripping run on one day, then store the low wines until another convenient time and so the spirit run then? There’s no reason you have to do them on the same day.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Steve Broady wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:04 pm
clearspirit wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:52 pm Trying to avoid the stripping run as it makes distilling an all day instead of half day exercise... sigh...
I don’t think that clearing will achieve the results you want, for multiple reasons. Why not do the stripping run on one day, then store the low wines until another convenient time and so the spirit run then? There’s no reason you have to do them on the same day.
+1
Strip it on a weekend, and let the LWs sit until the next convenient weekend. They won't spoil, and you get a chance to hose all the janky shit out of the boiler and start fresh.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

I agree. I’ve wondered if letting low wines sit for a week or so about 3/4 full in a jug doesn’t help with letting some nasties eek their way out.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Hebden
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hebden »

I'm making Sugar Wash for neutral and using a packed column. I am using bentonite at the beginning, but I am not consistently managing to clear my wash yet as I am still honing my equipment and techniques.

Could I ask, specifically on de-gassing stir, do you disturb the trub or not?

My racking pump was letting air in last time and so whilst racking it got an aeration which I suspect was my issue then, but on this de-gassing I DID disturb the trub and it didn't clear in several weeks. Like I say, probably the pump aeration?

Also, I just strated a new batch, but in exactly 5 day I go away for a week. My washes typically finish in 4 days, but the SG does drop a touch after degassing.
What would be best practice here, should I degas on day 4 and rack on day 5 just before I go? Or should I degas on day 4 and rack on day 13?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I'd leave it alone undisturbed until I got home from the trip. It'll be fine, and you might find that the extra time left to sit produces a cleaner spirit.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Hebden
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hebden »

Deplorable wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:14 am I'd leave it alone undisturbed until I got home from the trip. It'll be fine, and you might find that the extra time left to sit produces a cleaner spirit.
Well I can defo leave it alone if it is ok not to rack it. Just to be clear, you mean "do not degas or rack" or "degas and then don't rack"?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Correct. Just leave it alone and the CO2 layer will protect it. When you get home, racking it into the still should be all the degassing you need. A couple weeks of rest after all fermentation activity has stopped is usually plenty of time for the yeast to clean up after themselves and flocculate. The one time I did a Shady's Sugar Shine, it fermented dry in under 4 days, I let it sit for15 days total before I racked it to the still, and it was clear enough to see almost to the yeast bed in a 32 gallon brute.
Hebden
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hebden »

So is the logic for no degassing simply not to disturb the CO2 layer? I thought the alcohol content would protect it from infection at this point?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

As above putting the wash into the still boiler when that time comes is all the de-gassing needed.
Deplorable has given you good advice all around.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

It can sit for an extended period. If you have sediment forming and desire a clear charge for the boiler you can rack it off the sediment and let it sit for longer to drop out more sediment.

When I clear wines this way, I'll use a vacuum pump to rack, degas, and thus clear sooner but my wines typically sit for 18 months or more with racking about every three months before bottling. The first racking after pressing has a couple/few inches of fine-lees sediment and subsequent racking activity has more of a "dusting". I'm less concerned about all that for a boiler/still stripping charge but you can approach it similarly if you like :)

Cheers,
jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

The last time I cleared a 45-50 gal sugar wash with Bentonite Clay, I added it after fermentation and thoroughly mixed it using a drill & mixing paddle. I then set a relatively large aquarium pump on the bottom of the fermenter blasting straight up and plugged it in. I let the pump run for at least one hour to thoroughly thoroughly degas while also mixing in the Bentonite Clay. I unplugged and removed the pump. The wash started clearing literally right before my eyes. Within a couple of hours I could see the bottom of the 55 gal drum/fermenter. I pumped the wash over to the boiler and had no issues. I could have let it clear overnight, but it was so darn clear that I didn't see the point in waiting any longer. Next time I'll let it sit overnight just for fun to see if there's any difference.

I understand people keep saying you should add Bentonite Clay first. I ask why? Why add it first (before fermentation) only to have to degas it multiple times and let it sit for multiple days after each degassing? Why not just add Bentonite AFTER fermentation, degas the living hell out of it ONCE and watch it clear very quickly? I just don't see the point when it's much easier and faster to add it after fermentation.

This is the ratio I used for 45-50 gal sugar wash:
210 grams Bentonite Clay
1.5 gal filtered water (I used RO water)

I thoroughly whisked all of the Bentonite Clay into the cool/cold water and let it sit for at least 30 min. I added it all to the fermenter and thoroughly mixed with a drill & mixing paddle. Ran pump for at least one hour. Let let it clear. Results are immediate.

No, you don't HAVE to clear a sugar wash. It does make a noticeable difference in my opinion (which was explained earlier in this thread). I recommend people try it if they're interested and see if it's something they want to continue doing. As long as the process is simple, effective and repeatable, why not give it a try? It's a hell of a lot more convenient than cold crashing and/or waiting days if not weeks to clear.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

My 2 cents worth. :ewink:

Clearing a sugar wash really helps when trying to make "one run and done" neutral spirits.
The less spent yeast in the boiler, the longer the run can go before cardboard tasting tails begin to appear.
Long story short. Ya get more shine from the amount fermented.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

shadylane wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:15 pm My 2 cents worth. :ewink:

Clearing a sugar wash really helps when trying to make "one run and done" neutral spirits.
The less spent yeast in the boiler, the longer the run can go before cardboard tasting tails begin to appear.
Long story short. Ya get more shine from the amount fermented.
+1
I think this applies to any ferment. Not just a sugar wash going for neutral.
One of the advantages we have in this hobby is we aren't chasing profits. In my experience, taking the time to let the ferment sit undisturbed for a week or two after its finished really improves the overall quality of the finished product, if not the yield.