Does the type of yeast matter much?

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mr_Beer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Does the type of yeast matter much?

Post by Mr_Beer »

I have been making beer and making wine for many years. There is no doubt that the selection of yeast will impart different flavors and associated properties in beer, mead or wine.

Now I am starting down the distilling rabbit hole.
My batches will be in the 5 to 6 gallon range and most likely use malted barley for the entire grain bill.

My question is does yeast selection contribute different flavors (like beer or wine making) or are those differences 'washed away' (pun intended) during the distilling process? I am soliciting opinions and notions to help me clarify my thinking.

A second question is the use of hops during the mash and fermentation process. Any notions or opinions are solicited as well.

Thank you, any help will be appreciated.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Does the type of yeast matter much?

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Yes yeast affects the ferment and distillation depending perhaps on a number of variables - how or if you clear the associated mash/wash/must, whether you're pot stilling or refluxing to a high degree, and yes also depending on the particular strain, ferment temps, pH, ABV, etc...

Experimentation and research is encouraged :)

Cheers,
j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Mr_Beer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr_Beer »

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately my question was not specific enough. I do not have the time or liver to keep experimenting. That is why I ask the experts....

Malted barley grains and essentially clear mash results. Pot still with focus on flavor.

Of the yeasts available, what have the experts decided is 'good' and what is 'not so good'.
Any view of hops and its effects on flavor?
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Hops will come over very strong. Not recommended but I've never used it.

If you don't have the time to research or experiment then it probably won't matter much in any case? Just drink it a spoonful at a time ;)

Try US05 and bakers or DADY then compare. Folks around here seem to use both among the many others that are available.

Cheers and best luck,
jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Understandably, what is 'good' is going to be subjective. Members who have already tried the lot have reported that for whiskey, use a 'good' ale yeast. A name that pops up quite frequently with HD members (and what I use) is Safale S-04 and US-05 ($4-5 for 11 grams). Other members swear by bakers yeast (Fleishmann's, RedStar etc) at $6/lb. You've got an extensive brewing background, just keep whatever yeast you choose happy.

There are a number of hopped whiskey expressions on the market you might try to see if you like the flavor.

Since you're a scotch guy, maybe this will help.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

For whiskeys, I've always heard good things about US-05,........pretty much only ever hear bad shit about hops......leave them to the beer boys.
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

Remember what hops was used for. It is a preservative and to my understanding allowed beer to survive transport into - and brewing in - hot climates when Brittania ruled the waves and much of the world. As in INDIA Pale Ale (NOT American Indians or the West Indies).
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

seamusm53 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:37 pm Remember what hops was used for. It is a preservative and to my understanding allowed beer to survive transport into - and brewing in - hot climates when Brittania ruled the waves and much of the world. As in INDIA Pale Ale (NOT American Indians or the West Indies).
Hops offer another benefit to the brewer, offsetting the intense sweetness from the unfermentable sugars created from brewing mash temps. Distilling's mash temps create a thoroughly fermentable wash with that once distilled, doesn't need any bittering units, instead benefitting from a good portion of caramel and vanilla sweetness served up from the barrel.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

You can make hop essence at any time, then use it for blending when proofing a bottle to drink. That would be much less risky than putting hops in the ferment or still, not knowing what the results might be until after you've been aging it for several years.

My hops smell beautiful and are ready to harvest. :thumbup:

I've never added any to a grain product before or after distillation.
PLAYMP
Bootlegger

Post by PLAYMP »

Different strains of yeast absolutely contribute different flavors to what you’re distilling. The homebrew beer market has really enabled the ability to really get in the weeds on different strains and what they can contribute. Most strains have a data sheet associated with them you can use as a resource.

As to whether it “matters” what yeast you use? I was listening to a podcast with the head distiller at foursquare run in Barbados. He was saying he didn’t care at all about yeast because there are a million variables at his disposal, yeast being just one of them. For a bourbon producer though, where your mash bill has restrictions, the proof out of the still has restrictions, the type of barrel has restrictions- there’s a lot fewer of those variables. Yeast gets elevated as more important as a result.

For hobby distillers most of us don’t operate on a scale where we can produce consistent results anyway and there’s no regulations limiting what we can do so yeast just becomes one of those million variables. I said it matters if you want it to matter but it doesn’t have to.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Does yeast strain make a difference? Yes.
Does it matter? Not unless you have a very specific target that you are shooting for and the knowledge of what you'll end up with in advance. IMHO there are other factors that will have greater impact, and focusing on repeatability and a healthy ferment will take you much further faster.
Dr Griz
Bootlegger
Location: Stowed away aboard the flagship of a pirate zeppelin armada

Post by Dr Griz »

I've played around with kveik, US-05, Red Star bread yeast, and some Belgian strains. I've heard folks talk about the different esters, but I admit I've only been able to detect a big difference in the hugely flavorful yeasts like Mangrove Jack's M41.

It's actually one of the spots where coming to the hobby from brewing can have a direct benefit -- when I save the trub from a 5-gallon beer ferment (avoiding really hoppy beers, especially if I dry-hopped), I can dump it straight into my 20-gallon wash. It's basically a half-gallong starter -- takes off like a shot!
qui bene bibit est beatus
Eric
Novice

Post by Eric »

Ferm solutions fsi 900 will work at lower temperature so smaller batches will be easier and it cost less than beer yeast. It will work at lower temps but is touch and go for ph so hang a bag of shells or calcium carbonate on the next batch if it stalls. Use a gibbs brothers barrel or new oak, take it off oak when ready and finish aging in glass for smaller barrels. Imo be picky with your cuts and rerun if you mess up. No worries it's a hobby and patience is not your friend but will pay off in the end.