First Corn, Rye and Barley mash

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Old Bloater
Novice

First Corn, Rye and Barley mash

Post by Old Bloater »

I've done several 5 gallon sugar wash mash runs in my reflux still to produce neutral spirit which I then use as vodka or make gin, usually getting about 1 gallon at 92%. However, for the first time I've gone for a typical corn, rye and barley mash (like you see on Moonshiners). I didn't fill the reflux column and put some mash in the thumper and got nearly 1/2 gallon at around 75%., which I expected.
The thing I'm struggling with though is what it should taste like as it's not distinctly different from my neutral and having never tasted an original moonshine I'm not sure what it should taste like. I did think I'd soak some oak chips in it to change things. Has anyone else had this experience and can tell me the sort of flavour I should expect? It's all very well watching them on Moonshiners "take a horn" but you don't, unfortunately, get the taste profile. Sadly I can't see myself visiting Appalachia in the near future! Thanks
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: First Corn, Rye and Barley mash

Post by Sporacle »

You should get a hint of corn sweetness, a peppery spice (not spiky heads) from the rye and a smooth almost butter mouth feel from the barley.
This is not the thread for this recipe, the mods will move it shortly
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Renhoekk
Swill Maker

Post by Renhoekk »

You mentioned that you ran your reflux column without packing - did you also turn off the reflux condenser? If you were still cooling some of the vapour in the column, it would’ve increased the rectification of the output, and you would have lost some of the flavour compounds.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

What was the percentage of the grains used? That will make a difference in the flavor. Rye can quickly overpower the corn, at least for my taste buds, but I don't care much for rye. If corn is up around 80% you should get a solid corn taste, not sweet corn, more of a field corn taste.
Old Bloater
Novice

Post by Old Bloater »

Renhoekk wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:22 pm You mentioned that you ran your reflux column without packing - did you also turn off the reflux condenser? If you were still cooling some of the vapour in the column, it would’ve increased the rectification of the output, and you would have lost some of the flavour compounds.
I didn't run the reflux condenser.