100% ethanol

All things related to oils and Hydrosols. How to make them and their uses.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Spirit
Novice

100% ethanol

Post by Spirit »

There are several ways to dry ethanol, mainly geared toward fuel production. However they all seem to use chemicals of unknown toxicity. I would like to find a non toxic way to do this to make a better solvent for extracting super dry herbs. My research so far points to table salt, but that seems to apply to isopropyl, not ethanol. Or does it? If you know how to do this, please let me know.
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 100% ethanol

Post by juana_b »

“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Spirit wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:28 am There are several ways to dry ethanol, mainly geared toward fuel production. However they all seem to use chemicals of unknown toxicity. I would like to find a non toxic way to do this to make a better solvent for extracting super dry herbs. My research so far points to table salt, but that seems to apply to isopropyl, not ethanol. Or does it? If you know how to do this, please let me know.
It requires a desiccant because H2O forms an azeotrope above 95.63ABV purity. And as such, the water is “laced” into the alcohol molecule and does not easily un-bond. It can be done in a laboratory, but the cost to do it outweighs the benefits.

Why not simply use some azeotropic ethanol to do your “spice” decoction? It’ll work just as well and it will still evaporate from the residue left in your recovery flask.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

still_stirrin wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:47 am Why not simply use some azeotropic ethanol to do your “spice” decoction?
SS, Google Tannox Still, the OP is running one of those "modified" I think........doubt it's capable of Azeo.
Spirit
Novice

Post by Spirit »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:57 am
still_stirrin wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:47 am Why not simply use some azeotropic ethanol to do your “spice” decoction?
SS, Google Tannox Still, the OP is running one of those "modified" I think........doubt it's capable of Azeo.
Yes, I installed a refluxer at the top of the column of the 3 gallon Tannox. The very first usable output after discarding methanol/foreshot is 95%. By keeping the refluxer temp turned down, I continue to collect 92% for the remainder of the run. This is possible by running low boiling power and going slow. I extract almost all alcohol from the wash. My production is more a drip drip than a drip drip spurt. So I'm pretty sure my distillate is dryable.
Spirit
Novice

Post by Spirit »

juana_b wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:47 am viewtopic.php?t=86497
Thanks juana_b. I have some of those pearls in my amazon cart. If this works, I will post back.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Spirit,

Here’s a good read for producing anhydrous ethanol:
8374471.pdf
Clean Ethanol
(790.77 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Have fun with it.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Renhoekk
Swill Maker

Post by Renhoekk »

TBH you’re wasting your time. 100% ethanol doesn’t stay at 100% unless it is bottled and stored in a special way, usually under pressure and flushed with nitrogen to drive out any air from the completely air-tight storage vessel. That vessel also has a means of transferring the ethanol for use without exposing it to air.

This is because pure ethanol will quickly suck out water from the surrounding atmosphere, and it won’t stay pure for long
renedox
Novice

Post by renedox »

I used 3a molecular sieves to get my (~3L) collection of the first 100mL or so of spirit runs to a higher abv. Just because I can and to see if it works.

It did work but like a previous poster said, once you get above azeotrope, it'll drop back down over time if not stored correctly.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Renhoekk wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:41 pm TBH you’re wasting your time. 100% ethanol doesn’t stay at 100% unless it is bottled and stored in a special way, usually under pressure and flushed with nitrogen to drive out any air from the completely air-tight storage vessel. That vessel also has a means of transferring the ethanol for use without exposing it to air.

This is because pure ethanol will quickly suck out water from the surrounding atmosphere, and it won’t stay pure for long
100%
Seen it first hand down here in the humid sub-tropics.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.