South east meet up

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: South east meet up

Post by Steve Broady »

I’ll raise a glass to you, sir! Have a safe trip, and we’ll do it again soon. Thanks for getting this ball rolling.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
Cookingupsomething
Novice

Post by Cookingupsomething »

Would love to attend this. I'm just a beginner and would love to hang with the seasoned. I live in North MS just south of Memphis TN
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Cookingupsomething, I’m afraid I just saw your message this morning. We’re starting about 10:30 or 11 today, and you’re welcome to join up, but I know it’s a pretty long drive to Hiwassee, GA.

Looking forward to meeting a few of the fine folks here!
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Hope you guys all enjoy the meet up today. I want to hear details. Be safe and enjoy!

D
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

A good time was had by all who attended. Lots of good conversation, plenty of tasty samples, and lots of sharing of information. One notable thing I learned was what a single malt tastes like without the influence of peat. It’s incredibly helpful to be able to sample something and talk to the guy who made it and learn how it was made. I also appreciated the chance to see where my skill level is compared to others, and now much I have to learn.

I definitely hope we can do this again, hopefully soon! It was a very rewarding and enjoyable day. Thank you, friends!
higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

+1 to everything Steve said. Tho it was a small gathering, it was great.

We need to do it again and get a few more to join in.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

A lot of interesting things were discussed, debated, and shared. It was an eye opening experience for me to be able to see what spirits should taste like, on a hobby level rather than commercial. It gave me some insight into just how far I have to go.
rjhatl
Novice

Post by rjhatl »

Drat, I missed seeing this until just now. If there's another GA or southeast meetup planned, I'd love to attend!
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

I’m definitely hoping we can do it again next year. I have to schedule my vacation for the entire year at once, so I figured I’d bring it up some time in November, seeing if anyone had any ideas about scheduling one.

The house in Hiwassee was wonderful, and a nice place for the 4 of us that were there. Seems like there was room for quite a few more folks comfortably, as well.
venkman
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by venkman »

Steve Broady wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:43 am I’m definitely hoping we can do it again next year.
Steve, I only just arrived here at HD a month or so ago. I found this thread as I was poking around reading everything I can soak up. I'd be interested in attending if you do it again. I'm in the NC foothills area. Cheers!
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

The time has come for me to schedule my vacation for 2024. Does anyone have any suggestions on if or when we might want to have another meet up? I’d like to attend if we do, which will probably require me taking vacation time in order to be able to commit.
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

I would definitely like to make it this year. Last year I changed jobs and ended up having to travel that week to a company event. I will get the event schedule for the time frame we are thinking about once we start to line things up. So first question is when. Spring time? April?

Another question is where? Seemed like the last place in North Ga worked well so try that again?

Thoughts?
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

I'm posting this for those who were interested last year, but may not have seen the new topic for the Southeast meetup 2024 in April.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

This was posted in another thread, but I figured I’d bring it out and reply here.
Dougmatt wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:35 pm I’m looking forward to the meetup to see if anyone has UJ. I’m wondering if my process just created extra funk for some reason given how popular it is..
I’ll gladly bring some of mine that my wife and I have been enjoying. I haven’t made any UJSSM in quite a while, but what I have has been on oak or in a BadMo for something over a year, and I think it’s pretty good. I’ve been tempted to revisit it now that my skills and equipment have improved somewhat, just to see if I can do better.

This brings up an interesting point. I’ll try to bring a few things that I don’t think are exceptional, but are at least not bad, and maybe representative of what a rank amateur can do. It’s nice to be able to compare even the basic stuff, so that we’re not working in a total vacuum.