The ugly stripper

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bigvalveturbo
Novice

The ugly stripper

Post by Bigvalveturbo »

No plans just some rudimentary tools and time, wanted to experiment, so I didn’t stress about pretty solder joints. It does not leak and it heats 30 gallons up in about 30 mins. Need to figure out a better condenser , once my disposable income rebuilds I think I’m going to build a shotgun condenser.
Heated with twin 5500w electric, home built controller.
Attachments
B0666F63-66CF-4674-B62B-3E12F48A5CF0.jpeg
Bushman
Admin

Re: The ugly stripper

Post by Bushman »

Wow beautiful build. Just looking at it it appears to be larger than our 30 gallon limit.
kennstminet
Novice

Post by kennstminet »

Bigvalveturbo wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:10 am ...... it heats 30 gallons up in about 30 mins
5500 W can heat 30 gal of 10%abv wash from 20 degC to 92,4 degC in approx. 120 minutes or more.
Even with 30%abv in the boiler, it would take 97 minutes or more.
I wonder what temp you had after 30 min?
Bigvalveturbo
Novice

Post by Bigvalveturbo »

Holds thirty gallons at the top of the "barrel",just about perfect, i would never fill higher because i intend that to be head space. not beecause i intended it that way it was just the size sheet i had!

dual 5500w 30 min is a guesstimit i havent done more than fill and heat it once to check for leaks.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Condenser looks fine.
Why would you make a shot-gun?
They seem to be mainly used in a REFLUX still not a pot still like you seem to have.
As a deflegmator.

Geoff
The Baker
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

The Baker wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:21 pm Condenser looks fine.
Why would you make a shot-gun?
They seem to be mainly used in a REFLUX still not a pot still like you seem to have.
As a deflegmator.

Geoff
Actually it makes more sense for a shotgun condenser to be used with stripping runs (due to its knockdown power) which is most often done using a pot still. I use my shotgun for spirit runs also because ... why not?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Very nice. I'd let her huff in my shed. :thumbup:
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Needs 14000 watts to heat up to running temps in 30 min.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

You must be a plumber, eh? I see that pipefitter’s vise in your photo. I have used one of those back in the days when I plumbed houses and commercial buildings. It would also explain your pretty solder joints. Great work.

You might want to think about putting swing joints on you lyne arm and also about putting a T/C joint or union, at least on the top of the boiler so you don’t have to move the boiler and condenser all as a unit.

Also, think about some insulation on the boiler. Since it’s all copper, you’ll lose a lot of heat to your stillshed. If you insulate the boiler, it’ll keep most of the heat in the boiler and help your distillation processes. I know … copper is pretty, but with the size of your boiler and the fact that it’s copper makes for a fantastic room heater, and that’s all wasted energy.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Bigvalveturbo
Novice

Post by Bigvalveturbo »

still_stirrin wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:41 am You must be a plumber, eh? I see that pipefitter’s vise in your photo. I have used one of those back in the days when I plumbed houses and commercial buildings. It would also explain your pretty solder joints. Great work.

You might want to think about putting swing joints on you lyne arm and also about putting a T/C joint or union, at least on the top of the boiler so you don’t have to move the boiler and condenser all as a unit.

Also, think about some insulation on the boiler. Since it’s all copper, you’ll lose a lot of heat to your stillshed. If you insulate the boiler, it’ll keep most of the heat in the boiler and help your distillation processes. I know … copper is pretty, but with the size of your boiler and the fact that it’s copper makes for a fantastic room heater, and that’s all wasted energy.
ss
Not a plumber, rather a roofer and lead free solder is a bane on my skills!

If you look close your will see a 6 inch tc just below the sphere I will need adding a tc at the end of the Layne arm to experiment with different condensers

As far as insulation I’m trying to find a self adhesive foil face one saw years ago..

Sounds like we are like minded!
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Nice build. I’d throw a few ones on the table for it, solder globs and all.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Southern jeeper
Novice

Post by Southern jeeper »

Very nice build! I'm wanting to make a similar stripper as well. What size copper sheet did you need for you build?
Bigvalveturbo
Novice

Post by Bigvalveturbo »

1 sheet 36 by 96 20oz and one piece about 24x24 I had laying around. I always have copper sheet in the shop so I didn't pay much attention
Bigvalveturbo
Novice

Post by Bigvalveturbo »

still_stirrin wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:41 am
Also, think about some insulation on the boiler. Since it’s all copper, you’ll lose a lot of heat to your still-shed. If you insulate the boiler, it’ll keep most of the heat in the boiler and help your distillation processes. I know … copper is pretty, but with the size of your boiler and the fact that it’s copper makes for a fantastic room heater, and that’s all wasted energy.
ss
So, I have been toying with the idea of making a jacket for the boiler out of copper, with a 2-inch space between the inside and the outside, extending the three ports thru it (drain and two heating elements) and then filling the space with spray foam for insulation, anyone out there done something similar? I am currently thinking only the cylinder section and not the cone as this should give me a little reflux action and I don't want to lose that.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Bigvalveturbo wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:06 am anyone out there done something similar? I
Sort of similar, but I didn't use spray foam and don't think I would, I'm sure there will be better options.
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=67323
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Bigvalveturbo wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:43 am Holds thirty gallons at the top of the "barrel",just about perfect, i would never fill higher because i intend that to be head space. not beecause i intended it that way it was just the size sheet i had!

dual 5500w 30 min is a guesstimit i havent done more than fill and heat it once to check for leaks.
:thumbup:
Oldhenry1
Novice

Post by Oldhenry1 »

That's a looker. Well done!! :clap: