sweetfeed whisky

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Post by still_stirrin »

RockinRockies wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:20 am…The raisin is overpowering…

It's the strangest thing but it's like drinking straight boxed raisins. I think that's because we didn't have the traditional barley mix, which I've found balances out the raisin with some chocolate notes. I have another batch that was more corn heavy and I prefer that, it's drier and cleaner, less raisin…
The “raisin sweetness” you’re tasting are esters (fruity). Some of those will convert into ethanol with time as the enzyme activity continues in the fermenter. But as esters, a lot of those won’t come over in the still. Sure, some will, but not with the intensity of the “sweetfeed wine”.

And as you’ve noted, adding malted barley into your grist would add additional enzymes for ester reduction such that you’d get a cleaner, less sweet “distiller’s” beer.
RockinRockies wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:20 am… We're making a big batch of corn whiskey to potentially add to some of our sweetfeed. I think you'll really like this stuff after 8 months (which is the sweet spot I've found to when it really gels)…
Eight months seems to be a “corner” in aging (depending on the spirit tho) as the oxidation and reduction processes progress. It may be “improved” by 8 months. But just wait until it’s 2+ years on wood. It’ll just keep getting better until it’s gone … if you “test sample” like I do.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

I find the original bags I used to get that were 1/3 each corn, oats, barley were awesome! Then I found a significantly cheaper version from the co op, but no barley. The barley adds a nice chocolate subtle note in combination with the other grains and molasses. Also, definitely astringent tannins at that temp by adding boiling water, but it seems to age out enough.

When we added corn to at least 60% for one batch, that was my favorite. I felt it had the cleanest flavor profile. It was 60/20/20 COB and we added one gallon of molasses to a 50 gallon ferment, using enzymes. Not the original T&T (I know, not a fair comparison) but the grains really shine when converting the available starch for most of the alcohol.

I really wish I had some of the original T&T SF recipe to test against this. I'd like to see how the sugar profile compares to my current methods
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

still_stirrin wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:23 am
RockinRockies wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:20 am…The raisin is overpowering…

It's the strangest thing but it's like drinking straight boxed raisins. I think that's because we didn't have the traditional barley mix, which I've found balances out the raisin with some chocolate notes. I have another batch that was more corn heavy and I prefer that, it's drier and cleaner, less raisin…
The “raisin sweetness” you’re tasting are esters (fruity). Some of those will convert into ethanol with time as the enzyme activity continues in the fermenter. But as esters, a lot of those won’t come over in the still. Sure, some will, but not with the intensity of the “sweetfeed wine”.

And as you’ve noted, adding malted barley into your grist would add additional enzymes for ester reduction such that you’d get a cleaner, less sweet “distiller’s” beer.
RockinRockies wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:20 am… We're making a big batch of corn whiskey to potentially add to some of our sweetfeed. I think you'll really like this stuff after 8 months (which is the sweet spot I've found to when it really gels)…
Eight months seems to be a “corner” in aging (depending on the spirit tho) as the oxidation and reduction processes progress. It may be “improved” by 8 months. But just wait until it’s 2+ years on wood. It’ll just keep getting better until it’s gone … if you “test sample” like I do.
ss

I just noticed this. I tried to cut and quote but I couldn't get it correct, but I wanted to respond.
The raisin comes across in our finished single run through our 3 plate column, not in the low wines. It's still very young, less than a month. I picked up a rubber note after a few days, but that's dissipated.

The only thing I have remaining of my original batch was something I made 5 years ago, didn't like it's trend because I was impatient, and mixed with my bourbon recipe. I have two bottles left at 120 proof and it's decent, but nothing I'd pay big money for from a box store
Wayside Loop
Novice

Post by Wayside Loop »

Just did a stripping run last night of a sweetfeed (corn, oats, barley, molasses) from a local grain mill here in Idaho. I toasted about 30% of the grains prior to fermenting because I really like the toasted oats subtleness. Stripped 14 gal in my pot still and thumper, and going to strip off another 14 gal today. I took a hearts cut and held back a jar from the first run. Man is that stuff tasty off the spout, even with a little bite to it. Can’t wait to see how it develops over time.

Cheers!
“There is no spoon”

-Some little kid in some movie
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

doing a stripping run on this right now! It will be my biggest charge. I usually split my 5 gal ferment into 2 smaller runs (I have a 5 gal pot still). I decided to do 1 big run. I got just a hair over 4 gal in the boiler. I put a half stick of butter in there. We'll see what happens. I got a little oak cask waiting to be filled. :thumbup:
JJB11B
Novice

Post by JJB11B »

Has anybody ever taken this recipe and run 3Lbs of grain per gallon of water, and done this as an all grain? seems like if you added this to boiling water and held it up there to for 90 minutes to gelatinize with some High temp enzymes it would work? also could use the yellow label Angel yeast and just gelatonize? idk. reading through this thread I may have missed it as it has 4175 posts and I wasnt able to go through it all in one sitting
Jstroke
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jstroke »

JJB11B wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:43 am Has anybody ever taken this recipe and run 3Lbs of grain per gallon of water, and done this as an all grain?
This thread has been specifically aimed at a sugarhead similar to UJSSM. However many here have done this as an all grain.
If in doubt leave it out.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

JJB11B wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:43 am Has anybody ever taken this recipe and run 3Lbs of grain per gallon of water, and done this as an all grain? seems like if you added this to boiling water and held it up there to for 90 minutes to gelatinize with some High temp enzymes it would work? also could use the yellow label Angel yeast and just gelatonize? idk. reading through this thread I may have missed it as it has 4175 posts and I wasnt able to go through it all in one sitting
There are quite a few threads on mashing AG sweetfeed, optimal use of enzymes, achieving target SG and application of yellow label yeast, but it takes some searching to find the nuggets! 2lb per gallon is the common benchmark to start with.

Mashing AG Sweetfeed
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
JJB11B
Novice

Post by JJB11B »

Thank you! I don't know why i have such a hard time with the way the search works on the forum. Ill get it figured out eventually.
Halvyt
Novice

Post by Halvyt »

Can you use sweet feeds that contain soybean or vegetable oil?
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

I have had some that had soybean and vegetable and it had a slick surface when done. I could not notice a whole lot of difference in that and those that didn't but I still wouldn't recommend it.
Halvyt
Novice

Post by Halvyt »

Sailman wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:57 am I have had some that had soybean and vegetable and it had a slick surface when done. I could not notice a whole lot of difference in that and those that didn't but I still wouldn't recommend it.
Thanks for the reply, I was thinking that’s what you were going to say
Halvyt
Novice

Post by Halvyt »

I’m guessing propionic acid is a no no too
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Re:HELP, ASAP sweetfeed whisky

Post by BoomTown »

McShiner wrote: Mon May 20, 2013 1:17 pm Mash has been sitting for just under 2 weeks. Gen 3, saturated in its own remaining wash and covered with fresh bottled water. Lid placed back over the tub, loosely/ not air tight.

As you can see, I have a growth of ??? Something on the top of the liquid. Any ideas? Has anyone seen this? Do I need to start over? HELP!
Not to worry, it’s a wild bacteria that will be neutralized during distilling. It happens sometime with open containers, (for me - usually if it’s a sour mash).

Check the Specific Gravity, press the grains to extract the beer, discard the spent grains, sterilize the fermenting vessels and go again. Distilling the beer, capture it as low wine, accumulate enough from several beer runs to ma a Spirit run.
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
bluegrass
Novice

Post by bluegrass »

“ So NIN posted that 4" in a 5 gal bucket is 7.69 lbs. It doesn't need to be exact. So let's break it down here.
You could go 1.5 to 1.75 lbs of sweetfeed and 1.5 to 1.75 lbs of sugar to a gallon of water. With no problems.”

Just so I am clear, using 1.5 lbs of feed and sugar would work out to be 22.5 lbs of sweet feed, 22.5 lbs of sugar for 15 gallons of water?
To Drink, or not to Drink... That is the question.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

The feed is just to add flavor the sugar to water ratio is the most important. 22.5 pounds in 15 gallons will get you 10% abv wash.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
bluegrass
Novice

Post by bluegrass »

Deplorable wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:56 am The feed is just to add flavor the sugar to water ratio is the most important. 22.5 pounds in 15 gallons will get you 10% abv wash.
Is there a calculator on here some where I can use? I tried searching, but all the links I used turned out to be bad…
To Drink, or not to Drink... That is the question.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

bluegrass wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:52 pm
Deplorable wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:56 am The feed is just to add flavor the sugar to water ratio is the most important. 22.5 pounds in 15 gallons will get you 10% abv wash.
Is there a calculator on here some where I can use? I tried searching, but all the links I used turned out to be bad…
calculators
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Kentucky shinner wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:39 pm
this is for 6 gallon wash

4" of sweet feed in the bottom of the bucket
7 pounds of white sugar
5 packets of bakers yeast or 8 tablespoons

heat 2 gallon of water to good hard boil then pour the water in the sweet feed add your sugar and stir for about 15min. the let stand for 90min. fill to 6 gallons with cool water
I think this is a "go to" recipe. It's almost impossible to fail.
It's also damn good from the yeast's perspective. :lol:
There's enough bulk from 4" of sweet feed to supply nutrients and moderate the pH.
drdoct
Novice

Post by drdoct »

I realize this is just a sugar wash for the most part. But the flavor this puts out is amazing. Finishing up my 4th generation of this Saturday. If it's anything like the 3rd it will be amazing. Thanks for all the tips and pointers in this thread. It really helped me since this was the first 'mash' I've done. The yeast action is full on within hours of remixing it all.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

drdoct wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:04 am I realize this is just a sugar wash for the most part. But the flavor this puts out is amazing. Finishing up my 4th generation of this Saturday. If it's anything like the 3rd it will be amazing. Thanks for all the tips and pointers in this thread. It really helped me since this was the first 'mash' I've done. The yeast action is full on within hours of remixing it all.
Congratulations! There is a reason the recipes are in the Tried & True Recipe section.
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

I made a ton of good booze from the sweet feed recipe but it's been 8 years or more since I've made any. Got all my supplies this morning and going to start a batch this afternoon. I remember some advice from Bushman from a long time ago and that was to write stuff you do down so you can remember your mistakes, successes and what you did right or wrong. Well I did that, problem is that it's been so long now I don't remember where that stuff is. Oh well here we go.
Sometimes I wonder why is that Frisbee getting bigger......and then it hits me.
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

Got 2 6 gallon buckets started yesterday what a great and most of all simple recipe, bubbling away nicely this morning. Also ran a still full of old first run sweet feed yesterday. The stuff is about 8 years or so old, damn the finished product really came out nice, it's great to be going again.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

OlympicMtDoo wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:16 am Got 2 6 gallon buckets started yesterday what a great and most of all simple recipe, bubbling away nicely this morning. Also ran a still full of old first run sweet feed yesterday. The stuff is about 8 years or so old, damn the finished product really came out nice, it's great to be going again.
:thumbup:
fzbwfk9r
Bootlegger
Location: Smack Dab in the Middle of God's country. Saskatchewan!

Post by fzbwfk9r »

Happy Canada Day, Canucks

I made some SweetFeed beer a couplethree years ago

Some got drank... but one bucket was forgotten... It's a HOT day here, so I set it outside to "Warm Up"

It's warming nicely as I type
I'll use some of the leftovers to start another batch.... the odor coming from this 3year old beer is simply amazing!

I think I'll "rewarm" it up tomo, or the next day, then I'll let it "Reverse Lager" with a nuking device. I got some toasted/charred oak ready to add body to my beer!!

I have my Gen2 supplies ready to go

Everyone have a safe weekend, and Happy 4th to my American friends!
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

I have two ferments of sweetfeed going, just started gen 4 on one and about to start gen 3 on the other. I did a bunch of this stuff a few years back and remember getting to gen 5 with some of my batches. Just curious how far has anyone taken their sweetfeed, how many generations? How far will it go before you need to start over, what's the record number?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I cut my teeth on sweet feed, and haven't done any since, but I may do an all grain and Molasses version since I really enjoyed the flavor. I haven't made anything with sugar since I burned through that feed bag.
I never let the Sweet feed whiskey age long enough to get rid of the sugar bite since I was consuming faster than I was making.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

In the past I've said to not use sweet feed with green pellets in it.
I'd still say that for potstilling somewhat, but it's different when making neutral with a reflux column.
The yeast seems to prefer a green funky sweet feed ferment and a column cleans everything up quite well. Long story short, if yeast likes it. Distillation will make it drinkable. :lol:
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

OlympicMtDoo wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:06 pm Just curious how far has anyone taken their sweetfeed, how many generations? How far will it go before you need to start over, what's the record number?
I dont see why sweet feed should or would be any different than UJSSM .....they are both sugar heads and both generational.
Having said that, Ive never made Sweetfeed, but I have made a lot of UJSSM........I gave up counting generations in the 90's which was a couple of years ago, I do still have a current generation going at the moment ............in short there should be no limit.
Your biggest enemy will be to much backset....go easy on that.
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

The local Tractor Supply here has a real nice Sweet COB with no pellets but holy shit $$$ I think I was paying about 8 bucks when I last bought it and it's about $25 now. I have never used backset in my wash just don't like the smell of it. I take a nice big bowl full of the old grain out an replace it with new each time, seems to work good.