can posting here be used againest you?

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Pepper0715
Novice

can posting here be used againest you?

Post by Pepper0715 »

since im new to this hobby this question stays in my head everytime i want to ask a question. it weighs on me so much i feel that i may just leave the group as a CYA.

home distilling is illegal after all that is a fact in the states which is confusing, because home distilling groups, forums and you tube channels are out in the open for all to see.

are we increminating oursleves here? am i being overly concerned? i dont sell any wine beer or spirit, not sure if that matter in the legal world or not.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: can posting here be used againest you?

Post by subbrew »

I doubt anyone would try and persecute just based on what is posted here. Hell, I might be a 12 year old sitting in my parents basement, just making this all up. But if you were ever investigated for selling, reported by vindictive spouse or some other reason this could certainly be used as collaborating evidence at the trial.

Just like exceeding the speed limit, you need to determine the level of risk you are willing to take compared to the goal you want to reach. Is saving 2 hrs on our trip with going 10 mph over?
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

It is against the law, and you know that. What you're questioning I believe is this worth the harm it might cause. I don't know your state or laws in the US. Only a Good local attorney can offer good advice. I was in 3 trails for something that was legal (somewhat) in my state. I won them all and walked away tall. But at what cost? The feds and I didn't see things equally. Would I do it again to help sick people out, fuck yes. But at what cost...
Suerte Tōtō
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Dr Griz
Bootlegger
Location: Stowed away aboard the flagship of a pirate zeppelin armada

Post by Dr Griz »

It's always about risk management in a hobby like this, but discretion is always the better part of valor. There are ways (using email that isn't easily traced back to you, VPN, etc.) to make your participation here as anonymous as possible.
qui bene bibit est beatus
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Let’s put this in perspective, shall we? I’m not saying it’s safe as your mama’s arms here BUT john law is under tremendous stress right now, from all sides. Unless you’re a notorious gangster or settin’ up to sell…near a school, they have a few more pressin’ things on their plates. Get over the initial anxiety , hide your rig and makin’s if you will. Soon Enough you’ll relax and enjoy the hobby that much more. Believe me, I know. Don’t sell. Don’t tell. AND DON’T BRAG!
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Yonder wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:05 pm Let’s put this in perspective, shall we? I’m not saying it’s safe as your mama’s arms here BUT john law is under tremendous stress right now, from all sides. Unless you’re a notorious gangster or settin’ up to sell…near a school, they have a few more pressin’ things on their plates. Get over the initial anxiety , hide your rig and makin’s if you will. Soon Enough you’ll relax and enjoy the hobby that much more. Believe me, I know. Don’t sell. Don’t tell. AND DON’T BRAG!
+1 yonder :ewink: ….. thats my feelings on it too….. Couldn’t have said it better
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

If it bothers you that much you will lose the fun of the hobby. I have been on this forum now for 13 years. If someone turns me in I will probably go to court. My involvement on this forum might be used against me but since a lot of my advice involves safety it also might not. I don’t sell and other than family and my fishing partner don’t tell so I feel there is a greater chance of me being in a car accident than arrested for this hobby. It is not stopping me from driving a car.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Perhaps “where you live/distill” has an affect on the likelihood of inditement or punishment. If you live in a country or territory where possession of drugs or alcohol is strictly prohibited, then policing of the laws will likely be much more intense. If you’re in a rural area where law enforcement is neighborly, then prosecution would be less probable.

However, if you’re illegally making spirits for sale and not paying the necessary taxes on your spirits, then you would quickly attract attention from law enforcement. After all, the laws are in place to protect the public and establish the system of oversight (via taxes collected) to regulate the industry and revenue.

Since, HD is primarily involving the safety and knowledgebase for our HOBBY, we strongly admonish spirit production with the intent to sell, ie - “Mooshiners”, unless you are a bonafide (licensed) commercial producer, in which case we urge you to post your license certification.

Bottomline - Don’t sell and don’t tell. And of course, always be safe.

I often say it this way: Be safe, responsible, and discrete.
ss

p.s. - just because you’re paranoid, doesn’t mean they aren’t out to get you!
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
redz242
Novice

Post by redz242 »

I agree to all points, I felt the same way when I first started the journey especially living state side I was scared and felt like they (feds) was watching. But follow the rules keep your stuff hidden mouth shut and relax. Fear and panic is what draws attention start creating believable fake projects for noisy people when buying supplies.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

I just don't worry about it. I only share what I do with my family. I would never sale any. I will give a jar to my brother in law and maybe one co worker. Other that that I just enjoy the hobby and get a great drink. Hell if you ain't living on the edge.... You're just taking up space. Lol. Have FUN and stay SAFE.
redz242
Novice

Post by redz242 »

Wildcats wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:28 am I just don't worry about it. I only share what I do with my family. I would never sale any. I will give a jar to my brother in law and maybe one co worker. Other that that I just enjoy the hobby and get a great drink. Hell if you ain't living on the edge.... You're just taking up space. Lol. Have FUN and stay SAFE.
+100
drmiller100
Rumrunner

Post by drmiller100 »

Uncontrolled consumption of fentanyl is legal in at least 3 states.
I'd think we are pretty far down the list.
Now I know how you claim azeo so easy, it's based on a meat thermometer. :lol:
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

drmiller100 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:51 pm Uncontrolled consumption of fentanyl is legal in at least 3 states.
I'd think we are pretty far down the list.
I just gotta point out that a) fentanyl ain’t taxed and b) theres a whole lotta LEOs and bureaucracies in some states whose livelihoods depend on f’ing with us.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

i do what I want
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Rite distilling is the least of my worries. They ant worried about a lil home distillers that aren't selling. So relax and have a 🍻 drink. HAVE FUN and Stay SAFE 😊