Grappa

Moderator: Site Moderator

YukonJack
Novice

Re: Grappa

Post by YukonJack »

Thanks Odin!!! Yeah this took about 3 weeks as well. The SG is .998 in one fermenter and .995 in the other. The sugar will probably cause some loss of taste, but we will have to see. Plan to run this coming weekend, hopefully it will clear some this week.

YJ
Ga_goat
Novice
Location: behind that next palmetto patch , or was it that last one

Post by Ga_goat »

Sure am glad to find this ,,,my daughter in law manages a local wineary and when they are mashing I have access to several
tons of material ,, last year they got 26 tons of juice and it was their first year , their long range plan is for225 acres of grapes within 5 years ,, so for 2 months out of the year I have plenty of material.
Anyone who would give up freedom for security will know neither
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

You are one lucky ... goat!

Congrats!

Making grappa is awesome.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Ga_goat wrote:Sure am glad to find this ,,,my daughter in law manages a local wineary and when they are mashing I have access to several
tons of material ,, last year they got 26 tons of juice and it was their first year , their long range plan is for225 acres of grapes within 5 years ,, so for 2 months out of the year I have plenty of material.
The wine club and winery that I am a member of makes apple pie and brandy. They have a separate license and they use the pomace and the wine that did not meet their standards and disitilled them into brandy. Something your daughter in law might want to look into as it saves a lot of waste and it might be fun for you to help in the process.
Ga_goat
Novice
Location: behind that next palmetto patch , or was it that last one

Post by Ga_goat »

They only brew in north Ga , ship the juice from here to there , then send the finished bottled product back down here they have tasting rooms at both locations . This is done so they only have lisense one winery .. someone up there 375 miles away already gets all the cull and mistake brews ,,,he's the lucky one.and he runs a lisensed micro brewery up there ,, I am told that he put out 6oo gallons of brandy last season , it was the winery's second season but as they get better he will get less.
Anyone who would give up freedom for security will know neither
engunear
Swill Maker

Post by engunear »

This is not a real grappa recipe because real grappa is made only from pomace, and probably uses a pot still, and probably has to be made in Italy. But this recipe does use an electric heater and it makes great grappa. And you can pick and choose the bits you want. Not having a source of pomace this was the best I could think of.

Ferment late season muscatelle grapes on the skins till fermentation ceases. Put a false bottom in your boiler. Put some wine from your ferment below the false bottom covering your heater element and the skins on top. This way they won't burn. Distill. If you run out of skins and have just wine then no need for the false bottom. If you run out of the wine put water below. Aggregate all the distillate.

Put the distillate in a fractionating still. Start out on a high reflux ratio till the nail-polish (ethyl acetate) smell has been removed. Discard. This will also remove any methyl alcohol. Continue to distill with a reflux ratio of about 5 or so, putting the distillate into a row of bottles. Aim for 10-20. Now this will push all the flavor till the last couple of bottles, and beyond that you get just water. The last two bottles will taste terrible, but that is because the taste is too strong.

The problem to solve now is how much grappa do you want, and how much flavour do you want? If you put the last bottles of flavour with all your alcohol you will get a lot of nice grappa. If you use only half the alcohol you will get a really intense grappa, and some mildly fruity vodka. Your choice. You can test out different mixes with a syringe and a piece of silicone tube, taking (say) 10 ml from every bottle, or 20 ml from the last half of the set, or maybe skip the very final bottle it its too bitter or whatever. When you have a recipe you like, then mix it up.
Other people can talk about how to expand the destiny of mankind. I just want to talk about how to make whiskey. I think that what we have to say has more lasting value.

Anyone who tells you measurement is easy is a liar, a fool, or both.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Just finished making a very nice grappa. It's the first time I've used this method.

Made a Cognac style brandy, fermenting on the skins with the stalks removed, stripping to 30% ABV low wines.

Put all the hot backset on the sugar and left to cool.
When cool enough, added aerated water, then added the pressings, ending up with OG 1076
Pushed the cap down twice a day until it finished, then pressed and distilled to 43% ABV low wines. Diluted to 40% with rain water.
Spirit run to 72% ABV if I decide to use all of the last jars. After my first taste, I think I probably will.
samdom70
Novice

Post by samdom70 »

NZChris,
Thanks for the insight. From reading, I thought that there was a good % of fermentable sugars are still in the skins. I think Odin said around 55%. This is where I am worried.
[/quote]

Hello
I made grappa this year, first time.
I had 30 boxes of grapes, 600 kg
After pressing the grapes, we had the pressed grapes in a barrel, we added 12kgs of sugar.
We fermented the water, sugar and pressed grapes for 3 days, next year I'll try 7 days.
Grappa came out great, everyone that's tasted it comments that they can taste the grape.
I wouldn't add yeast, there's heaps on the grape skins.
ABV is 50%
zach
Swill Maker

Post by zach »

My experience is leaving out the sugar makes the best product.

From your description, it sounds like you are using a white wine grape, since you are not fermenting the wine on the skin. I made some "orange wine" fermenting a white wine grape on the skin. Then I drained off the free draining wine and put the wet pomace into my boiler. It's not grappa, but has delicate flavors, and less bite than with the sugar additions.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

i just got a fancy bottle brought back from Italy. Says it were aged 5 years in a sherry cask, this stuff has so many flavors going on, i think I'm in love.
zach
Swill Maker

Post by zach »

I had the same reaction during a trip to Italy. In further travels I found orujo in Spain, tsipouro in Crete, raki in Greece.

The rabbit hole gets deeper with the pomace brandies made from single varieties of grapes, and other fruit such as sour cherries, apricots, pears and plums.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

These days I use sugar as well as some wine kit juice to top up the lightly pressed pomace. Press it again and distill that with a wider than normal cut. They I process once more in my small batch still with the column/chamber packed with additional pomace that I reserved for final processing. Some reflux. Comes out very smooth and fragrant. Ages well on used wine barrel staves. Not traditional but I make it every season or so when I have a good bit of pomace :)

I call it Grappa Geist.

Cheers,
jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
humjogo
Novice

Post by humjogo »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:41 am These days I use sugar as well as some wine kit juice to top up the lightly pressed pomace. Press it again and distill that with a wider than normal cut. They I process once more in my small batch still with the column/chamber packed with additional pomace that I reserved for final processing. Some reflux. Comes out very smooth and fragrant. Ages well on used wine barrel staves. Not traditional but I make it every season or so when I have a good bit of pomace :)

I call it Grappa Geist.

Cheers,
jonny
Hi Jonny, your Grappa Geist sounds very interesting. I like how you use sugar and wine kit juice to enhance the flavor and aroma of the pomace. How do you choose the type and amount of sugar and juice to use? Do you have a recipe or a formula that you follow? I’m curious to learn more about your process and the results.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

humjogo wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:14 am
jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:41 am These days I use sugar as well as some wine kit juice to top up the lightly pressed pomace. Press it again and distill that with a wider than normal cut. They I process once more in my small batch still with the column/chamber packed with additional pomace that I reserved for final processing. Some reflux. Comes out very smooth and fragrant. Ages well on used wine barrel staves. Not traditional but I make it every season or so when I have a good bit of pomace :)

I call it Grappa Geist.

Cheers,
jonny
Hi Jonny, your Grappa Geist sounds very interesting. I like how you use sugar and wine kit juice to enhance the flavor and aroma of the pomace. How do you choose the type and amount of sugar and juice to use? Do you have a recipe or a formula that you follow? I’m curious to learn more about your process and the results.
Thanks :) I don’t use a particular formula but shoot to keep the initial SG in the 1.070 range to keep the yeasties happy.

I find that I can stretch the skins contribution further by placing them in the vapor path and redistilling already cut brandy like you might vapor infuse a gin. Alternatively same thing but macerated.

I have a five gallon bucket of tightly packed cab sav pomace from this years wine to use in an upcoming grappa geist. I might try an all sugar wash (Shady’s or similar) as my base spirit this time.

Cheers,
jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
humjogo
Novice

Post by humjogo »

I have never tried placing the skins in the vapor path or macerating them. How does that affect the taste and aroma of the final product? Do you notice any difference between red and white pomace?
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

To be called grappa, a product must be made only with pomace... a portion of wine is allowed....if you distill wine you get brandy, not grappa. I produce it with a steam system, therefore you obtain a low alcohol alcoholate which is concentrated with subsequent distillations. If there is no other way then sugar, "synthetic" wine and other stuff are fine but maybe it shouldn't be called grappa.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Demy wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:48 am To be called grappa, a product must be made only with pomace...
I eventually realised that what I was making wasn't true Grappa, but if you are not selling, you can call what you make whatever you want and can make it however you like.

My methods have changed since I first posted on this thread. What I make is not true grappa, but that is what is written on the jars to differentiate it from brandy. Some are highly flavored, some are near neutral, most of it gets re-distilled with botanicals to make other traditional flavorsome products, but all of it is nice enough to be drunk straight.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

NZChris wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:17 am
Demy wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:48 am To be called grappa, a product must be made only with pomace...
I eventually realised that what I was making wasn't true Grappa, but if you are not selling, you can call what you make whatever you want and can make it however you like.

My methods have changed since I first posted on this thread. What I make is not true grappa, but that is what is written on the jars to differentiate it from brandy. Some are highly flavored, some are near neutral, most of it gets re-distilled with botanicals to make other traditional flavorsome products, but all of it is nice enough to be drunk straight.
"Grappa Style"

Geoff
The Baker
zach
Swill Maker

Post by zach »

Demy wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:48 am To be called grappa, a product must be made only with pomace... a portion of wine is allowed....
What portion?

This year I removed the free run wine and did not press the pomace before distilling with steam. So very wet pomace. What is this called in Italy?

I've seen a brandy called " aquavite d'uva". My understanding this product is in the middle between brandy made from wine and grappa and uses the whole grape.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

zach wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:49 pm
Demy wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:48 am To be called grappa, a product must be made only with pomace... a portion of wine is allowed....
What portion?

This year I removed the free run wine and did not press the pomace before distilling with steam. So very wet pomace. What is this called in Italy?

I've seen a brandy called " aquavite d'uva". My understanding this product is in the middle between brandy made from wine and grappa and uses the whole grape.
Lightly pressed grape pomace is excellent for grappa, it has a good yield. I didn't want to be boring with my statement....we can call it what we want, it was just to spread the right knowledge of things....I'm thinking for example of those who are just starting out in the hobby...I hope I wasn't unpleasant 🙂
OldRanch
Novice

Post by OldRanch »

Demy wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:08 pm
What portion?

Lightly pressed grape pomace is excellent for grappa, it has a good yield. I didn't want to be boring with my statement....we can call it what we want, it was just to spread the right knowledge of things....I'm thinking for example of those who are just starting out in the hobby...I hope I wasn't unpleasant 🙂
I'm confused how you distill "just the pomace". Let me know if I have this correct for true grappa:

Lightly press your grapes. Make wine with the juice.

Add yeast to your pressed grapes (pomace) and ferment until dry. No water is added here.

Add to covered element or gas fired still with a false bottom. This is where I get confused: do you add water here to transfer heat to the pomace? Some of the wine? How much of your pomace is covered in liquid?
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

OldRanch wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:52 pm
What portion?

I'm confused how you distill "just the pomace". Let me know if I have this correct for true grappa:

Lightly press your grapes. Make wine with the juice.

Add yeast to your pressed grapes (pomace) and ferment until dry. No water is added here.

Add to covered element or gas fired still with a false bottom. This is where I get confused: do you add water here to transfer heat to the pomace? Some of the wine? How much of your pomace is covered in liquid?
The vapor passes through the pomace then is condensed....think about the distillation of plants, same thing....the rest you said is correct except for the fact that I don't add yeast because I ferment with spontaneous yeasts
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

What portion?

The facts are the facts Demi. Most welcome hearing them1🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
OldRanch
Novice

Post by OldRanch »

Demy wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:12 pm

The vapor passes through the pomace then is condensed....think about the distillation of plants, same thing....the rest you said is correct except for the fact that I don't add yeast because I ferment with spontaneous yeasts
Thanks Demy