Paw Paw Recipes?

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

WestVAGuy
Novice

Paw Paw Recipes?

Post by WestVAGuy »

Anyone got any good recipes for Pawpaw mash. I have come across several trees loaded with the fruit and would like to try to make a liquor with them. Have never tried Pawpaws before and would like to know if anyone else has?
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Paw Paw Recipes?

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

Hey Guy

You peaked my interest with the pawpaw fruit/tree.
It seems to be used in Liqueurs as flavoring. Then I came across this “guy” not you Guy :P . He made a brandy out of pawpaw fruit. http://fifthelementspirits.com/dancing- ... aw-brandy/
We don’t have pawpaw trees where I’m from but a Google search had plenty of stuff on this. Hope this gives you a starting point.
JBC
JBC
WestVAGuy
Novice

Post by WestVAGuy »

Thanks JellybeanCorncob.

I am looking to capitalize on the availability of this fruit and make some Brandy (the fruit is FREE) and all I had found was the use of Paw Paw liquor, available from the Left Coast of the country. I appreciate the link and the assist. Will let yuou know how it turns out.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I've been wanting to do a paw paw brandy ever since I found a couple of trees in someones yard a couple years ago. I think it would be good to have a steam rig for it.
utvol
Novice

Post by utvol »

Did anyone ever try this? Our property in Arkansas has tons of pawpaw trees. I'll have to wait till the fall when the fruit gets ripe. I have never made a brandy but i was thinking this would be very similar to making banana. The fruit is very similar to mango. The skin and seeds contain toxins so i guess i will need to peel them and take out the seeds? This will be a pain as they have lots of them.
Attachments
pawpaws.jpg
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

I would do you due research in the toxicity of the seed and skins. But I THINK that the distillation will take care of any toxins in them..... Now that only what I think. I could be completely wrong. Maybe some of the more experienced members will offer their wisdom. But I'm interested to here how you get on with it. Let us know. As always.

Have fun and stay safe.
Bitter_Brew
Novice

Post by Bitter_Brew »

From what I can work out, at least one of the neurotoxic compounds in paw paw seeds are stable at 160 degrees celcius.

I don't know acetogenins/polyketides carry over in distillation (someone else here might), but it's not an experiment I would fancy running by finding out if I got atypical Parkinsonism in 10 years' time, so I would remove the seeds.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Not enough Pawpaws in my neck of the woods to distill.
I have made wine from it years ago.
Try freezing the fruit, thaw and use a press so only the juice and pulp is fermented.

I did a little looking and it appears the fruit is around 7% sugar per weight.
https://www.nutritionix.com/food/pawpaw