Heirloom Corn

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

werkkrew
Novice

Heirloom Corn

Post by werkkrew »

This local farm in PA recently started shipping (it's not cheap) of various varieties of heirloom corn, and even some other grains (rye, wheat, barley).

I'm driving out there tomorrow to get a few bags.

https://www.dancingstarfarmseed.com/

Just figured I'd give anyone interested a heads up.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Heirloom Corn

Post by 8Ball »

werkkrew wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:56 am This local farm in PA recently started shipping (it's not cheap) of various varieties of heirloom corn, and even some other grains (rye, wheat, barley).

I'm driving out there tomorrow to get a few bags.

https://www.dancingstarfarmseed.com/

Just figured I'd give anyone interested a heads up.
I’ve ordered from them twice and have been very happy with the grains received. Shipping to my zip code was $55, but considering what I have aging in a new Gibbs, its a bargain.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
PLAYMP
Bootlegger

Post by PLAYMP »

I was just listening to a podcast with someone who runs a non profit that works to bring back a lot of the historical heritage grain in PA and by some of the varieties they have it’s pretty clear she probably worked with this farm in particular. Here’s a link if you are curious:

Would love to hear about your experience as well as what you end up making. That’s about a 6 hour drive from me but I seem to be in an heirloom grain dead zone and I’ve definitely been getting an itch about it that needs scratching, especially the Rosen rye they carry is incredibly interesting to me.
werkkrew
Novice

Post by werkkrew »

PLAYMP wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:28 am I was just listening to a podcast with someone who runs a non profit that works to bring back a lot of the historical heritage grain in PA and by some of the varieties they have it’s pretty clear she probably worked with this farm in particular. Here’s a link if you are curious:

Would love to hear about your experience as well as what you end up making. That’s about a 6 hour drive from me but I seem to be in an heirloom grain dead zone and I’ve definitely been getting an itch about it that needs scratching, especially the Rosen rye they carry is incredibly interesting to me.
It's over 3 hours from me but when I looked at the shipping cost the gas/tolls was a lot cheaper so I'm taking a trip out there tomorrow.

I think what I am going to do is make a few relatively standard bourbons (75% corn, 13% rye, 12% barley) substituting the heirloom corns in each one and comparing it to my usual feed store corn and seeing what the flavor impact is and then maybe try to come up with some recipes that highlight the different corn varieties as best I can.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

werkkrew wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:01 am
PLAYMP wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:28 am I was just listening to a podcast with someone who runs a non profit that works to bring back a lot of the historical heritage grain in PA and by some of the varieties they have it’s pretty clear she probably worked with this farm in particular. Here’s a link if you are curious:

It's over 3 hours from me but when I looked at the shipping cost the gas/tolls was a lot cheaper so I'm taking a trip out there tomorrow.

I think what I am going to do is make a few relatively standard bourbons (75% corn, 13% rye, 12% barley) substituting the heirloom corns in each one and comparing it to my usual feed store corn and seeing what the flavor impact is and then maybe try to come up with some recipes that highlight the different corn varieties as best I can.
I did something similar: viewtopic.php?t=88024
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”