My glass jar aging technique

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

My glass jar aging technique

Post by TwoSheds »

Wanted to share my (now verified successful) glass jar aging technique with folks. There's nothing new here, but rather a combination of a couple ideas that have been around that suit my tools and materials.

I'm using half gallon mason jars. I can get 6 for about $14 USD which keeps me below $5 per gallon for storage. Cheaper than anything else I can find.

For lids I've cut discs out of 1/4" white oak. The lid oak isn't anything special, just commercially available white oak. I will age these upright so there will be little liquid contact with the lid and they don't need to be liquid tight.

I used a 3 1/2" hole saw with the center pilot drill removed. You need to keep the hole saw from wandering so I cut a hole in a piece of scrap and clamped that on top of my workpiece. The hole saw drops into the scrap piece which keeps it from wandering or chattering much during the cut.
IMG_0767.jpeg
I then use a router bit with a bearing to thin out the edges of the discs so the pop up through the jar rings. This is by far the trickiest part, but doable with care if you're comfortable with your equipment.
IMG_0769.jpeg
I cut fingers of a used bourbon barrel to put in the jars for liquid contact. These are toasted and charred as desired, but the lids remain raw.

My theory was that the fairly thin lids would breathe well and give up a reasonable angels share while the oak finger takes care of the flavor and adsorption. These pictures show the change in level in the jars at the 6 month mark:
IMG_1080.jpeg
IMG_1081.jpeg
I failed to take pictures, but the drop was a little less than twice that this week at right around the year mark.

At one year with this method all the spirits have improved considerably, even against the 'control' I had with a standard lid on it. Some I'm considering done and moving to bottle, others are getting a regular lid to continue aging with the oak. I think the angels have had their share!

The discs did warp from uneven moisture contact but they are thin enough that most can be held flat on the jar with just the ring, so most will be reused. Since they don't have direct contact with the spirit I'm not even worried about switching them between different sprit types.

While I'm hoping to make some badmo or similar barrels in the future, this has provided a quick-and-dirty way to get oak contact and air exchange on the cheap. On top of that, the half gallon size is a good size to experiment with, but I also have some wide-mouth quart and pint sized jars that I've used the lids on for even smaller experiments.

Hope this helps others stir up ideas as others have helped me!

TwoSheds
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My glass jar aging technique

Post by Deplorable »

Looks like a solid repeatable process for those who can't get PTFE lid liners. I like it.
I just use a lid liner with a pin hole in it on jars. I've not done any experiments to see what my angel share is though.
for gallon jugs, I use a cork stopper with a slit in it. Give em a whiff and a shake from time to time and they seem to give me a good product I'm proud to share.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Nice work and great price on 1/2gal jars.

I got dizzy standing on my head to appreciate all that went into these jars... :mrgreen:
Attachments
Two Sheds Oak Lid.jpeg
Two Sheds Oak Lid.jpeg (18.3 KiB) Viewed 1629 times
Two Sheds ImmaculatePair.jpeg
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
LordL
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by LordL »

Wow!

I mailed Mr badmo himself a couple of weeks ago, asking him if he didn't want to produce lids like this! :D

Haven't seen your post before

I figured, there would be fewer steps in production and lest less oak be needed per lid. Seeing his line of buyers growing over 1500 people, maybe if we just got some bees wax on that edge and tightened the lid hard, it might make a more simple badmo mini!
20L Boiler
2" Piping
Potstill
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Corene did these jar lids a few years back. I think she was using a lathe.

pretty slick tho. kinda surprised that someone with a automatic lathe isn't banging these out by the gross...the market is vast and growing!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:52 am Looks like a solid repeatable process for those who can't get PTFE lid liners. I like it.
I just use a lid liner with a pin hole in it on jars. I've not done any experiments to see what my angel share is though.
for gallon jugs, I use a cork stopper with a slit in it. Give em a whiff and a shake from time to time and they seem to give me a good product I'm proud to share.
All sounds valid. I have some PTFE sheet I was going to use for this, hadn't thought about adding pinholes. But I also had the oak on hand.

I'd like to figure out a container/solution in a bit larger size as I settle on recipes and techniques. The cork makes sense if you can find solid ones.

Thanks!

TwoSheds
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

Twisted Brick wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:47 am Nice work and great price on 1/2gal jars.

I got dizzy standing on my head to appreciate all that went into these jars... :mrgreen:
Thanks for rotating them TB. Not sure why the lose their orientation but I know others run into this too.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

LordL wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:57 am Wow!

I mailed Mr badmo himself a couple of weeks ago, asking him if he didn't want to produce lids like this! :D

Haven't seen your post before

I figured, there would be fewer steps in production and lest less oak be needed per lid. Seeing his line of buyers growing over 1500 people, maybe if we just got some bees wax on that edge and tightened the lid hard, it might make a more simple badmo mini!
The problem with using these laying down is the surface to volume ratio is way smaller than a barrel. In that sense BadMo has it figured out! I use thinner oak (his is 1"-ish, mine is 1/4") knowing that it's more permeable, but that I won't be losing liquid since it's upright.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

My pleasure, TS. Jars on their side or upside down like you had 'em tend to drip, at least until the wood swells and makes a good seal. Now they good.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

HDNB wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:03 pm Corene did these jar lids a few years back. I think she was using a lathe.

pretty slick tho. kinda surprised that someone with a automatic lathe isn't banging these out by the gross...the market is vast and growing!
Yup I saw that at one point and it was a consideration. I'd have taken a lot more time on the lathe.

I think there would be a market anyway! You're right, a CNC lathe or even a CNC on flat could bang these out in no time. They're not a perfect solution but in an industry where more than half of the crap they sell isn't even fit for purpose you could make a killing!

Thanks.

TwoSheds
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

Twisted Brick wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:04 pm My pleasure, TS. Jars on their side or upside down like you had 'em tend to drip
Right? Thanks for saving my virtual hooch!

Since you mention it, I was worried about swelling too. The rings don't lock down quite as tight with the oak as they do with the original caps so I worry they could pop off even with a little swelling. So far none of them have but direct contact with the liquid would certainly increase the risk.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

True. Another item to be aware of is that the circular shape of the lid, once saturated will expand into an oval shape, the ends of the grain the most. You might want to keep an eye on them and try to possibly return (shave/sand?) the extended portions back to round.

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

TwoSheds wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:55 pm
Deplorable wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:52 am Looks like a solid repeatable process for those who can't get PTFE lid liners. I like it.
All sounds valid. I have some PTFE sheet I was going to use for this, hadn't thought about adding pinholes. But I also had the oak on hand.

I'd like to figure out a container/solution in a bit larger size as I settle on recipes and techniques. The cork makes sense if you can find solid ones.

Thanks!

TwoSheds
As you start to venture into larger batch sizes, if you are happy with those lids, go for 1-gallon jars with 4" lids. You'll have to cut the middle out of the lid leaving just a ring, but you'll get the same effect. Honestly, I'm considering going to gallon jars so I can reduce the amount of labor I put into making oak fingers that fit in the neck of a 1-gallon cider jug.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

Twisted Brick wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:18 pm True. Another item to be aware of is that the circular shape of the lid, once saturated will expand into an oval shape, the ends of the grain the most. You might want to keep an eye on them and try to possibly return (shave/sand?) the extended portions back to round.
Yup, I'm familiar with how wood moves. This is why I have the recess on the ring side instead of in the glass, though I think I have enough of a gap either way. The good part is it doesn't cause a problem with the contact on the jar. Might warp the rings a little, but they're still functional.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:24 pm As you start to venture into larger batch sizes, if you are happy with those lids, go for 1-gallon jars with 4" lids. You'll have to cut the middle out of the lid leaving just a ring, but you'll get the same effect. Honestly, I'm considering going to gallon jars so I can reduce the amount of labor I put into making oak fingers that fit in the neck of a 1-gallon cider jug.
Oh man, I suspect those 1 gallon cider jugs are a hassle. At least with spirits there isn't usually much schmutz that would need to be scrubbed out. Still, need to size your sticks for any swelling or you'll have to wait for them to dry to get them out.

I always have an eye out for bigger jars, but I don't want a bunch of one-offs where I need to make custom sizes for each jar. So far I haven't found anything I can reliably get that's as cheap as mason jars.

That said, mason jars are miserable to pour from when they're 2/3 or more full.

If I can find the oak I'll start making BadMo clones, but air-dried, seasoned white oak is hard to come by.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

I got a box of really sweet-smelling cutoffs for Badmo's from Gibbs with my recent barrel order. You might call them and ask if they'll sell you some without purchasing a barrel. Call Jodee (501) 623-8881

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

Twisted Brick wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:17 pm I got a box of really sweet-smelling cutoffs for Badmo's from Gibbs with my recent barrel order. You might call them and ask if they'll sell you some without purchasing a barrel. Call Jodee (501) 623-8881
Hmm... i might do that, or I might finally have to order a barrel! I'll see how the next few ferments go. Thanks for the heads up!
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

https://www.etsy.com/listing/967496298/ ... ef=hp_rv-1

I ordered a couple oak and a couple cherry to test them out.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
bunny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bunny »

If you really wanted to go larger, you might try making an oak o-ring for a corny keg.
Something to think about. :D
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

bunny wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:59 am If you really wanted to go larger, you might try making an oak o-ring for a corny keg.
My opinion, the o-ring is too small of an area to bother with. I've read some just omit the ring to let them breath.

I've considered cutting down a couple corny kegs to use like a BadMo but at around 9" in diameter they end up with around 64 sq. in. of surface area. From what I've read a barrel has about 68 sq. in. per gallon. To stay on-par with a real barrel I'd only use the very bottom and stick with 1 gallon. I could reduce the surface area and go 2 or 3 gallons and not risk over oaking, maybe add some oak inside. Guess I could cut off both ends and do a double BadMo, that'd be interesting!

Or I could cut one open and make a thin lid like I use on the mason jars, I'd just need to figure out how to hold it down when it wants to warp.

My first large (40 gallon) mash is about ready to start stripping. I'll see how yields are from that, I can store the high wines in corny kegs until I know how much I really have to deal with, then I'll figure out how to store.

Thanks for the comment. I hadn't thought about cutting up a corny for a while.

TwoSheds
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Doing 40 gallon mashes you'll likely get about two gallons or more of finished product (depending on cuts of course).

That's getting into 5 gallon barrel territory. It takes me three ferments to fill a 5 gallon barrel. Well worth the effort IMO.
Shine_Dad
Novice

Post by Shine_Dad »

Deplorable wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:41 am Doing 40 gallon mashes you'll likely get about two gallons or more of finished product (depending on cuts of course).

That's getting into 5 gallon barrel territory. It takes me three ferments to fill a 5 gallon barrel. Well worth the effort IMO.
2 Gallons of Hearts from 40 Gallons of Wash?

Is this in a scenario where no thumper is being used?

I consistently pull out 1.5 gallons of hearts from a 13 Gallon Wash that end up around 130-140 Proof that I bring down to 125 before letting them air out for a day which brings them down to around 120-122.

-ShineDad
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Shine_Dad wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:31 am
Deplorable wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:41 am Doing 40 gallon mashes you'll likely get about two gallons or more of finished product (depending on cuts of course).

2 Gallons of Hearts from 40 Gallons of Wash?

Is this in a scenario where no thumper is being used?

I consistently pull out 1.5 gallons of hearts from a 13 Gallon Wash that end up around 130-140 Proof that I bring down to 125 before letting them air out for a day which brings them down to around 120-122.

-ShineDad
"Hearts" are what YOU decide they are. In my shed 23 gallons of wash at 8-9% nets me about 5 to 5.5 liters at about 68% abv.
Sure there's more alcohol, but what I call Hearts equals between 5 and 5.5 liters. The other jars get recycled into the next run, or turned into vodka later.
What YOU call heads, hearts, and tails in your shed is sure to be different.

Edited to add this is twice through a pot still, no thumper to answer your question.
tjsc5f
Swill Maker

Post by tjsc5f »

TwoSheds wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:14 am I failed to take pictures, but the drop was a little less than twice that this week at right around the year mark.
TwoSheds
Did you happen to measure the ABV after a year to compare it to the entry proof? I know there's several factors that can cause the ABV to increase or drop in a real barrel.
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

TwoSheds wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:28 am
bunny wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:59 am If you really wanted to go larger, you might try making an oak o-ring for a corny keg.
My opinion, the o-ring is too small of an area to bother with. I've read some just omit the ring to let them breath.

I've considered cutting down a couple corny kegs to use like a BadMo but at around 9" in diameter they end up with around 64 sq. in. of surface area. From what I've read a barrel has about 68 sq. in. per gallon. To stay on-par with a real barrel I'd only use the very bottom and stick with 1 gallon. I could reduce the surface area and go 2 or 3 gallons and not risk over oaking, maybe add some oak inside. Guess I could cut off both ends and do a double BadMo, that'd be interesting!

Or I could cut one open and make a thin lid like I use on the mason jars, I'd just need to figure out how to hold it down when it wants to warp.

My first large (40 gallon) mash is about ready to start stripping. I'll see how yields are from that, I can store the high wines in corny kegs until I know how much I really have to deal with, then I'll figure out how to store.

Thanks for the comment. I hadn't thought about cutting up a corny for a while.

TwoSheds
This is what I'm doing at the moment. I have a corny with chips in it ( smaller amount than normal since I wanted a longer aging window) and I left the O-ring off which, in my opinion, leaves just enough space for vapor to escape at a slow enough rate. I haven't sampled it in a while, I might have to do that tonight ;)
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

tjsc5f wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:04 am
TwoSheds wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:14 am I failed to take pictures, but the drop was a little less than twice that this week at right around the year mark.
TwoSheds
Did you happen to measure the ABV after a year to compare it to the entry proof? I know there's several factors that can cause the ABV to increase or drop in a real barrel.
I didn't, but should. I bottled it and have some I can check on when I get a moment.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

bcook608 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:22 am This is what I'm doing at the moment. I have a corny with chips in it ( smaller amount than normal since I wanted a longer aging window) and I left the O-ring off which, in my opinion, leaves just enough space for vapor to escape at a slow enough rate. I haven't sampled it in a while, I might have to do that tonight ;)
I'm going to do this some as well, now that I have in excess of 3 gallons of a couple different spirits that I want to age in the same way it'll be easier to use one big corny than to split. I'll use re-surfaced staves in mine, but same idea.

I agree on removing the seal. I'll try to watch the angels share (maybe by weight) to see what happens.

Frequent sampling is always critical!