Blood Butcher Suggestions

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Ironheadchop
Novice

Blood Butcher Suggestions

Post by Ironheadchop »

I have someone who wants to give me 50lb of milled Bloody Butcher corn. I am looking for help on a grain bill for something to use with it.

So I have been wanting to do a mash with Bloody Butcher corn. I started out running a UJSSM and am on about the 14th gen of that. I started out with that as a beginner as I was afraid of doing an all grain and trying to do conversions, mainly because I didn’t have the pot big enough for all the hot water. I have a 15 Gal keg now that I can use to heat my water in and a couple 21 gal drums for fermenting in.  I bought a grain kit from John Miller of Steeke Creek on FB and did that and it turned out really good IMO for a first try with grain. It was a 10 Gal kit- 5 lbs of ground Hickory King White corn and 2 1/2 lbs of Wintermagic Rye malt. I cant remember the steps right off hand but this was close.  Heated the water to 190. Dumped in the corn then poured in I think 5 gal of water. Let steep for 45 mins stirring every so often. Let it cool to 145? Then added in the rye and sugar and stirred. Let cool to 100 and then pitched the yeast.  It started out at 6% Potential ABV.  It tasted really good and run off 130 without using my thumper.

I was thinking of malted 6 row barley or malted red winter wheat?

How much of each grain to use?

How to mash it in?

I would like to keep away from adding amylase or any other enzymes.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Blood Butcher Suggestions

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Ironheadchop wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:24 am  I have someone who wants to give me 50lb of milled Bloody Butcher corn. I am looking for help on a grain bill for something to use with it.

So I have been wanting to do a mash with Bloody Butcher corn. I started out running a UJSSM and am on about the 14th gen of that. I started out with that as a beginner as I was afraid of doing an all grain and trying to do conversions, mainly because I didn’t have the pot big enough for all the hot water. I have a 15 Gal keg now that I can use to heat my water in and a couple 21 gal drums for fermenting in.  I bought a grain kit from John Miller of Steeke Creek on FB and did that and it turned out really good IMO for a first try with grain. It was a 10 Gal kit- 5 lbs of ground Hickory King White corn and 2 1/2 lbs of Wintermagic Rye malt. I cant remember the steps right off hand but this was close.  Heated the water to 190. Dumped in the corn then poured in I think 5 gal of water. Let steep for 45 mins stirring every so often. Let it cool to 145? Then added in the rye and sugar and stirred. Let cool to 100 and then pitched the yeast.  It started out at 6% Potential ABV.  It tasted really good and run off 130 without using my thumper.

How to mash it in?

Check out the Tried & True section for grain bills and mash protocols. You could sub the Bloody Butcher for anything with corn.

I understand wanting to do a traditional malt for your enzymes but cultured enzymes help out a ton and provide good insurance.

2-2.5#/gallon total grains is a good place. 2.5# will be a thicker mash.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
PLAYMP
Bootlegger

Post by PLAYMP »

Ironheadchop wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:24 am  I have someone who wants to give me 50lb of milled Bloody Butcher corn. I am looking for help on a grain bill for something to use with it.
My damn dream come true. I’ve been looking all over for heirloom corn and I seem to be in a total dead zone.

I was listening to a podcast the other day and the guest was saying with plain old yellow dent corn you really rely on other flavoring grains (wheat, rye, barley, etc) to round out a bourbon. But if you’re dealing with heirloom corn you have to let it shine. I say do it simple, all corn in line with the Booners recipe in the T&T section and just celebrate what you have.
Ironheadchop
Novice

Post by Ironheadchop »

I cant find it in the recipes? Have a link for it?
PLAYMP
Bootlegger

Post by PLAYMP »

Nanacooks
Novice

Post by Nanacooks »

Ironroot Distillery in Texas is doing a lot of work on heirloom corn varieties. The Whiskey Tribe has done some interviews and visits with them, as has Jesse on StillIt. According to them, using as little as 30% I believe is enough to give a notable difference in flavor, highlighting the individual notes of specialties like Bloody Butcher. Check out some of their info and discussions, it is very informative.
Laredo7mm
Bootlegger

Post by Laredo7mm »

Hmmm, there is a local malt house in my area that has malted bloody butcher corn for $1.29 a pound. I may have to run out and buy a 50# sack and see if I can tell a difference with my poor sense of taste/smell.
Ironheadchop
Novice

Post by Ironheadchop »

Laredo7mm wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:56 pm Hmmm, there is a local malt house in my area that has malted bloody butcher corn for $1.29 a pound. I may have to run out and buy a 50# sack and see if I can tell a difference with my poor sense of taste/smell.
do they ship?
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:30 am

How to mash it in?

Check out the Tried & True section for grain bills and mash protocols. You could sub the Bloody Butcher for anything with corn.

I understand wanting to do a traditional malt for your enzymes but cultured enzymes help out a ton and provide good insurance.

Cheers!
-jonny
Nothing wrong with getting free ingredients but you should try some bloody butcher that the commercial distillers produce. You may change your mind about the grain.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
Laredo7mm
Bootlegger

Post by Laredo7mm »

Ironheadchop wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:54 pm
Laredo7mm wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:56 pm Hmmm, there is a local malt house in my area that has malted bloody butcher corn for $1.29 a pound. I may have to run out and buy a 50# sack and see if I can tell a difference with my poor sense of taste/smell.
do they ship?
Not sure, you would have to give them a call. Here is their website:

https://emergentmalt.com/
Ironheadchop
Novice

Post by Ironheadchop »

Ironheadchop wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:24 am  

Cheers!
-jonny
Can you expalin more on this? So i found a recipie that calls out 90% bb 5% wheat and 5% barley. How would i figure how much of what for a 12 gallon run?
Laredo7mm
Bootlegger

Post by Laredo7mm »

Ironheadchop wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:33 am
Ironheadchop wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:24 am  

Cheers!
-jonny
Can you expalin more on this? So i found a recipie that calls out 90% bb 5% wheat and 5% barley. How would i figure how much of what for a 12 gallon run?

2 to 2.5 pounds of grain per gallon of water is what he was saying. For 2 pounds per gallon, that would be 1.8 pounds bloody butcher, 0.1 pound wheat, and 0.1 pound barley, per gallon of water used in you mash.
Last edited by Laredo7mm on Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:30 am 2-2.5#/gallon total grains is a good place. 2.5# will be a thicker mash.

Cheers!
-jonny
Ironheadchop wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:24 am Can you expalin more on this? So i found a recipie that calls out 90% bb 5% wheat and 5% barley. How would i figure how much of what for a 12 gallon run?
Who woulda thought this would involve math lol! Some math can be helpful. Here's examples for both 2# and 2.5#/g below. Somewhere between those two will get you there.

2# per gallon total grain bill into 12g water:
12g x 2#/g = 24# total grain
24# x 90% = 21.6# bb
24# x 5% = 1.2# wheat
24# x 5% = 1.2# barley

2.5# per gallon total grain bill into 12g water:
12g x 2.5#/g = 30# total grain
30# x 90% = 27# bb
30# x 5% = 1.5# wheat
30# x 5% = 1.5# barley

Cheers,
j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Newtothis
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Newtothis »

Just a heads up if anyone else is looking this is so far the cheapest I have found if you want to get some shipped. Free shipping is nice!
https://www.heartypet.com/products/bloo ... rn-non-gmo
werkkrew
Novice

Post by werkkrew »

This local farm in PA recently started shipping (it's not cheap) of various varieties of heirloom corn, and even some other grains (rye, wheat, barley).

I'm driving out there tomorrow to get a few bags.

https://www.dancingstarfarmseed.com/
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

werkkrew wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:47 am This local farm in PA recently started shipping (it's not cheap) of various varieties of heirloom corn, and even some other grains (rye, wheat, barley).

I'm driving out there tomorrow to get a few bags.

https://www.dancingstarfarmseed.com/
I bought two 50# pound sacks of Bloody Butcher, freshly ground and then shipped from this farm. I spoke with Dan there and he is real easy to do business with. They have several heirloom corn varieties that I’m interested in trying next.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”