Shells and infections

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Shells and infections

Post by MooseMan »

Do any of you guys that use shells for pH buffer, get infections from them at all?

I've been using calcium carbonate chips but, on a beach visit yesterday we got the kids to collect a couple of kilos of Limpet shells.

I've given some of them several washes to get the sand etc off, a good vigorous wash in some backset that I saved from the last strip, and a few minutes boil in a pot.

It's that considered enough to get rid of all the bugs?
I've not read of anyone having contamination issues from the shells, but my inner beer brewer is cringing at the thought of adding "Dirty" things to my ferments! :?
Make Booze, not War!
amh71
Novice

Re: Shells and infections

Post by amh71 »

I use the shell/grit for the chickens, add it to a mesh bag and leave in the fermenter when sterilising it.

The only time I added shell straight from the bag I got a butryic infection, maybe coincidence but it takes forever to get the stink out of plastic buckets so I sterilise now. Sure a good boil would be just as good.
LordL
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by LordL »

I just save up the shells whenever I boil eggs. :)
20L Boiler
2" Piping
Potstill
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

I assume boiling them and then spraying with Starsan would be as sanitary as they’ll ever get.
Anytime I’ve used oyster shells I can smell a vinegar type smell coming off the fermenter. I’ve boiled them before adding them. I’ve tried not boiling them and I’ve experimented with adding them and pulling them at different time intervals. I always get a hint of vinegar. Maybe it’s not an infection maybe that’s just regular :think:
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

Thanks for replies gents.

I'm going to give them a rinse in sanitizer then fully dry and store until my next ferment, then give them a go.

Bit concerned about the report of acetic smell from using them?
Make Booze, not War!
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

My oyster shells get a short soak in hot acidic backset before I store them for later use.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I pick up whole, empty, shells from the local beach, pour boiling water over a couple, weigh them wet so that I can re-weigh them dry to find out how much gets used during the ferment, then put them in the fermenter.

Any infections are more likely to come from my shed, stirrers, fermenters, picking my nose, etc..
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

Well, to hear the last 2 methods from such experienced distillers match what I've already done, gives me great confidence, thank you.

Coming from a beer/cider/wine background I'm a bit anal about sanitation, so the generally looser attitude towards it in distilling circles is relaxing, but also a bit stressy for me at times too!

Thanks for the reminder on weighing the shells to see how much is being scavenged by the water Chris, that's a really useful indicator isn't it.
Make Booze, not War!
lest1
Novice

Post by lest1 »

i use oyster shells and run them twice through the dishwasher
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

lest1 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:23 am i use oyster shells and run them twice through the dishwasher
Well now, why did I not think of that! (Insert facepalm emoji here!)

The wife puts the dishwasher on every single day before bedtime and it never once occurred to me........
Make Booze, not War!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I haven't done my homework on what chemicals we put in our dishwasher, but some of them don't smell like anything I'd want in my likker.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I just grab a hand full or two from the chook grit bag and toss it in .No infections and I definitely don’t wash it first .

Saltbush bills starting to rub off on me .( Next thing I’ll be shoving my grubby finger in the wash and having a taste :shh: :ebiggrin: )
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Yummyrum wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:19 am I just grab a hand full or two from the chook grit bag and toss it in .No infections and I definitely don’t wash it first .
Way to go Yummy :thumbup:
lest1
Novice

Post by lest1 »

NZChris wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:33 pm I haven't done my homework on what chemicals we put in our dishwasher, but some of them don't smell like anything I'd want in my likker.
Fair call , i thought if you your happy to use things from the dishwasher for cooking and eating, and theres no smell it would be okay

But its a valid point
lest1
Novice

Post by lest1 »

lest1 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:34 pm
NZChris wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:33 pm I haven't done my homework on what chemicals we put in our dishwasher, but some of them don't smell like anything I'd want in my likker.
Fair call , i thought if you your happy to use things from the dishwasher for cooking and eating, and theres no smell it would be okay

But its a valid point
i guess you could then give a dip in star san if that would help
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

lest1 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:34 pm

But its a valid point
My cutlery isn't made out of shells I picked up off the beach and I know none of it is porous. I don't know how porous shell is. I avoid any issues by not using unknown chemicals and pouring some boiling water over them, but I don't always bother doing that. Making rum, infections are often desirable and the distiller's reason for adding the shells may be to keep the pH high to keep desirable bacteria happy and productive.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

if you are using plastic fermenters you already have all the infection source material you need
redz242
Novice

Post by redz242 »

squigglefunk wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:41 am if you are using plastic fermenters you already have all the infection source material you need
Facts cause no matter how hard I try it keeps happening always good infections. I think it’s due to the fact of the scratches caused by solids and shells.

The strange smell from using oysters shells comes from the degradation of the shells as they release proteins and calcium.