Ugly Striper Level gauge

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bigvalveturbo
Novice

Ugly Striper Level gauge

Post by Bigvalveturbo »

I am looking for a 24 inch long by 1/2 or 3/4 level gauge so I can keep track while making a run and during filling /emptying. anyone got a good source for one? I am thinking the kind with a glass tube and 4 bars to protect it. Thanks!
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Re: Ugly Striper Level gauge

Post by Salt Must Flow »

When I first built my large stripping boiler I installed two ports because I thought I wanted a sight glass (level gauge). I never bothered installing one and the ports are left plugged. The reason I realized I didn't need one is because I always know how much went into the boiler, I know how much is coming out of the still therefore I know how much is left inside the boiler. It's always wise to know how much liquid is required to keep the elements covered. I'm also 100% certain that the heating elements will never be exposed because based on the amount that went in, the amount that comes out can never be enough to allow the elements to be exposed. If there was a leak then I'd see the leak before the level could be low enough to be an issue.

Same with my 15.5 gal boiler that I use for spirit runs. The only time the level could get low is if I'm doing a really small batch and that would be best done using a smaller boiler that's more appropriate for such a small batch.

I have a small boiler I made for doing really small runs and I installed/soldered one of these Weld Union Sight Glasses just above the level of the heating element. I found it for $5 on Amazon with free shipping so it was too good of a deal to pass up.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I don't use anything of the kind, you know the quantity in the boiler and you know how much it comes out so it's not strictly necessary. In any case, look at homebrewing material sites
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Here's how I make a level gage out of old fittings and 12mm borosilicate glass.
12MM glass will slide inside 1/2" id tubing.
I modify a flare fitting so it compresses an o-ring to form the seal.
Attachments
DSCF0001 (263x350).jpg
DSCF0002 (350x263) (1).jpg
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Id be on eggshells trying not to crack that like an eggshell. I like it tho.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Chauncey wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:32 pm Id be on eggshells trying not to crack that like an eggshell. I like it tho.
I’m like you on that one . Always wanted one but the thought of smashing it and dealing with a boil load of mess has always put me off
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

I have a flange/ferrule on the top of my boiler and on side above element level where I can put windows to monitor fill level but I usually just check with a gauge stick I made-marked in inches and gallons -before the run... then keep track of volume distilled

I know every gallon distillate equals so much in inches in the boiler level. Adding a thumper adds an extra degree of difficulty estimating fill level this way.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.