Kerry Fermcap S

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Kerry Fermcap S

Post by 8Ball »

I picked up some Kerry Fermcap S off of Amazon recently. Getting ready for my rum & brandy runs with hot weather & fruit seasons kicking in. Didn’t want a repeat of the puking experienced in the past.
(Fermcap-S Foam Inhibitor- 1 oz. https://a.co/d/5HGtYsi)

I used 2 drops per gallon in a recent panela & blackstrap rum wash before pitching. The ferment was clean and the stripping runs were uneventful. This stuff works. I did a 2/3 fill of my pot boiler with wash and did a normal heat up & stripped as fast as the condenser could handle.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Kerry Fermcap S

Post by Chauncey »

Is it for boiler foam or fermentation foam or both? Silicone based? Guess I could look it up lol
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

8Ball wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:47 pm I picked up some Kerry Fermcap S off of Amazon recently. Getting ready for my rum & brandy runs with hot weather & fruit seasons kicking in. Didn’t want a repeat of the puking experienced in the past.
(Fermcap-S Foam Inhibitor- 1 oz. https://a.co/d/5HGtYsi)

I used 2 drops per gallon in a recent panela & blackstrap rum wash before pitching. The ferment was clean and the stripping runs were uneventful. This stuff works. I did a 2/3 fill of my pot boiler with wash and did a normal heat up & stripped as fast as the condenser could handle.
Did it affect your flavor at all? Supposed to retain IBU’s in beer ferment, curious what it does in a rum wash….
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Chauncey wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:12 am Is it for boiler foam or fermentation foam or both? Silicone based? Guess I could look it up lol
It is for both. If you use it during fermentation then you don’t have to add any more to the boiler. I added to the ferment just to see how it worked. No high krausen, just lots of fizzies.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Dougmatt wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:33 am Did it affect your flavor at all? Supposed to retain IBU’s in beer ferment, curious what it does in a rum wash….
I haven’t done the spirit run yet, so I can’t say. The few tastes that I did take during the early part if the strips were ‘normal’ to me, i.e., I didn’t notice anything that made me think of the foam inhibiter used. I’m going to go out on a limb and say that it probably doesn’t affect flavor at all. Hopefully one of the grand masters will chime in.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Is it silicone based?

If it starts foaming/puking I always know as I use a sight glass on both the boiler top and bottom segment of column. If I see it I go ahead and cut the heat(boil break) then add olive oil or corn oil if I didn't already. Come back online at lower power

I tend to heat up slowly so it's been a while since I had foam issues. Seems to help.

8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Chauncey wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:14 am Is it silicone based?

If it starts foaming/puking I always know as I use a sight glass on both the boiler top and bottom segment of column. If I see it I go ahead and cut the heat(boil break) then add olive oil or corn oil if I didn't already. Come back online at lower power

I tend to heat up slowly so it's been a while since I had foam issues. Seems to help.
I think it is silicone related. Here is the link to the product specifications from Kerry: https://www.brewshopro.no/images_hoveds ... ap%20S.pdf

Product Data Sheet April'10 Update
Kerry Ingredients & Flavours
Kilnagleary, Carrigaline, Co. Cork, Ireland Tel: 00 353 21 437 6400 Fax: 00 353 21 437 6480
Product Name: Product Code: Date Printed:
FermCap S 5D01530 April 27, 2010
General Description
FermCap S is a unique emulsion of an extremely effective surface active agent Dimethylpolysiloxane which prevents foam formation by reducing surface tension. FermCap S is classified as a "Process Aid" because of its novel feature of being completely removed from the beer under normal processing conditions. It is adsorbed onto the surface of the yeast, vessel walls and filter media. Analytical techniques accurate to 0.005 ppm cannot detect FermCap S in finished beer.
Application
FermCap S is used as a antifoam agent during the fermentation step of the brewing process. Typical dose rates are in the range of 1 - 8ml/hl. The dose rate is dependant on wort composition, gravity and fermentation conditions fermentation conditions.
The ingredients of this product may settle. For best results, the closed package should be shaken vigorously before use. Do not freeze, store below 32°C.
All other application information is well defined in the separate "Application Information" document in Pegasus.
Specification
All methods of analysis available on request.
Appearance :
Antifoam efficiency :
pH :
Solids content : Microbiological Specifications TVC :
Yeast & Moulds :
Salmonella :
E.Coli :
Enterobacteriaceae:
Off white stable liquid emulsion <10 seconds
3.5 - 5.5
23- 28%
max. 5000/g max. 100/g absent in 25g absent in 5g max. 30/g
Legal Status
The active ingredient in FermCap S is included in the Miscellaneous Additives in Food Regulations1995.
FermCap S is an emulsion of Dimethylpolysiloxane (E900)
Local food regulations should always be consulted with respect to specific applications and necessary declarations. Legislation may vary from country to country.
Handling & Storage
The ingredients of this product may settle. For best results, the closed package should be shaken vigorously before use. Do not freeze, store below 32°C.
In unopened original Kerry Bio-Science packaging, FermCap S has a shelf-life of 24 months from date of manufacture. Store in dry conditions at 32oC or below but do not freeze. Product stored longer than recommended shelf-life should be retested before use, to confirm quality. Kerry will be happy to perform this function and/or send details of the assay procedure to be used.
Packaging
FermCap S is supplied in 25kgs Polydrums.
Reason for update
April'10 : CD/CR/4771 & 4774 - Update shelf life from 12 to 24 months. Dec'09 : Amend solid content in line with spec as defined in COA.
Page 1 of 2 ©2009 Kerry Group www.kerrygroup.com

Product Data Sheet FermCap S (5D01530)

April '07 : Include the statement "Do not allow to freeze".
IMPORTANT FOR YOUR PROTECTION The information and recommendations contained herein are to the best of our knowledge reliable. However, nothing herein is to be construed as a warranty of representation in respect of safety in use, suitability, efficacy or otherwise including freedom from patent infringement. Users should make their own tests for their particular purpose. We cannot accept any liability for any loss, damage or infringeme
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Yea that's dimethicone which is a common anti foam agent in food products. Wonder if it's safe for distillation, it's considered inert mostly iirc

8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Chauncey wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:47 am Yea that's dimethicone which is a common anti foam agent in food products. Wonder if it's safe for distillation, it's considered inert mostly iirc
The 2 drops per gallon is 10 times the max allowed to eat in prepared foods. This number is the best I could figure based on 10mg/kg listed in the 1995 UK Misc Additives Act. The product sheet says that this stuff sticks to yeast, vessel walls, and filter media. So since I use it in the ferment first, some of it doesn’t make it into my boiler. Then it is subjected to being distilled — twice, then filtered & diluted to drinking strength. I’m pretty sure my liver can handle any that makes it that far. 😎
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Dougmatt wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:33 am Did it affect your flavor at all? Supposed to retain IBU’s in beer ferment, curious what it does in a rum wash….
No, not at all. Just finished the spirit and enjoying some as a matter of fact. 👍👍🇱🇷
Attachments
IMG_2023-5-26-171927.jpeg
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

:thumbup:
8Ball wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:21 pm
No, not at all. Just finished the spirit and enjoying some as a matter of fact. 👍👍🇱🇷
Nice! Cheers!
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!