Anybody ever using LME

Moderator: Site Moderator

malt_lover
Novice

Anybody ever using LME

Post by malt_lover »

Hello there, has anybody ever used liquid malt extract to white whisky to add body, colour and bit sweetness to it. In scotch only caramel is allowed for colour and taste, I was wondering LME has similar consistency and is malt, hence means more pure approach. Please share experience.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Anybody ever using LME

Post by Deplorable »

I've never added anything to my white whiskey but wood and time.
I found my single malt had good body color and taste just from wide(ish) cuts and plenty of time in a 20L once used bourbon barrel.
I think if you try to color white whiskey with LME, it's going to be overly sweet, and cloudy, before you get that alluring amber hue you get from time on charred wood.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
PLAYMP
Bootlegger

Post by PLAYMP »

I probably wouldn't do it as I like to let my fermentation, distillation, and aging do the talking if we're dealing with spirits but that shouldn't stop you from trying.

The idea does intrigue me a little bit from the perspective of a malt liqueur, though. Might try that some time, I don't think it would be too bad.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Novel concept, but adding an unfermented raw product to a refined and carefully polished spirit sounds kinda counter-productive. There's nothing stopping you from trying it though, and reporting back with your assessments.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Well, I have added a little light dry malt extract to my espresso. It make a rich, subtly sweet coffee.

But adding malt extract, liquid or dry, to a finished white spirit (after cuts) just doesn’t sound inviting to me. Toasted and charred oak chunks is the way to go. Oh, and you need “time” in the formula too.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

malt_lover wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:46 am . In scotch only caramel is allowed for colour and taste, I was wondering LME has similar consistency and is malt, hence means more pure approach. Please share experience.
Sounds like a good experiment.
Best way to find out, is to give it a try.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

You could also clear a fermented distiller’s beer and proof down with some of that instead of water. Let it meld and age on oak too.

Cheers,
Jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Nice thing about home distillation.
We don't have to abide by the rules that define different liquors.

Based on my limited experience.
If Ya want to add some LME after distillation for body, colour and bit sweetness. All is good.
Just remember the maltose sugar in LME doesn't taste very sweet compared to sucrose sugar. :ewink:
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

I would try it with a little bit. I have some white rum I am aging on sweetened coconut (for coconut rum). I only did a little. I shake it a ton and leave the cover off for a bit to let it air. I taste it every now and then. Though I can taste a little of the coconut coming through, it's still kinda gross cause it needs to age. Like mentioned above, you can add color and sweetness, but you can't add aging.