New from Nashville

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Comescrashing
Novice

New from Nashville

Post by Comescrashing »

Excited to be here and continuing to read and learn and grow. I’m pursuing this as a long term endeavor of learning and growing and experimenting and I look forward to taking my time and making high quality spirits to try.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: New from Nashville

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Welcome to HD! Also from Nash here. You're in the right spot for learning. Tons of info here if you do the research.

Let us know what spirits you're interested in and recommend reading up before building or buying.

Cheers,
jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Welcome aboard man. Check out the Tried and True. Great recipes there. Have fun and stay safe.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Welcome in, Comescrashing!

The rabbit hole goes pretty deep.

Enjoy the learning.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Welcome and 🍻. After almost 3 years of this hobby I don't see it as anything less than "a long term relationship ". :D
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Comescrashing
Novice

Post by Comescrashing »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:52 am Welcome to HD! Also from Nash here. You're in the right spot for learning. Tons of info here if you do the research.

Let us know what spirits you're interested in and recommend reading up before building or buying.

Cheers,
jonny
Great to know someone else is local! Thankfully I enjoy reading and absorbing as much information as possible.

Rocking a little 2 3/4 gal pot still on my stove top right now. I’ve only done a vinegar run so far and plan to do some runs with just water to gauge temp control and time. The last thing I want to do is start a ferment without having an idea of how long a run will take me so I can plan accordingly.

Biggest goal is to do whiskies with different mash bills and seasoning woods. And just play and explore. Also really intrigued by brandy and then eventually want a column still because I love gin lol.
Comescrashing
Novice

Post by Comescrashing »

Wildcats wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:05 am Welcome aboard man. Check out the Tried and True. Great recipes there. Have fun and stay safe.
Thank you and super excited to be here. I will definitely check out that section! Right now just working through a lot of the required reading.
Comescrashing
Novice

Post by Comescrashing »

Twisted Brick wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:15 am Welcome in, Comescrashing!

The rabbit hole goes pretty deep.

Enjoy the learning.
Thank you so much, I’m looking forward to going through it and coming out in the wonderland!
Comescrashing
Novice

Post by Comescrashing »

Bradster68 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:03 am Welcome and 🍻. After almost 3 years of this hobby I don't see it as anything less than "a long term relationship ". :D
Thank you and I’m looking forward to a long term relationship lol
Stags
Bootlegger

Post by Stags »

Curious seeing a bunch of others from mid TN here. I wonder if y’all have any insight into how much metro actually cares about our hobby?

I have a good buddy who’s a retired police detective from KY and his thoughts were if you don’t sell it and use discretion you’ll have no issues.
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

Stags wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:50 pm I wonder if y’all have any insight into how much metro actually cares about our hobby?
My opinion is keep your head down and you'll be fine.

There are lots of people selling fairly large quantities around middle TN. If a deputy stumbled across me running the still my first approach would be "you need some homemade paint stripper?"

I really think I could sit on the street in midtown Nashville selllng it out of my truck for quite a while before I got what I was asking for.

My approach when a friend offers to pay continues as "if you want a refill bring the jar back"

Don't tell, don't sell has worked so far
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
Stags
Bootlegger

Post by Stags »

elbono wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:06 pm
Stags wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:50 pm I wonder if y’all have any insight into how much metro actually cares about our hobby?
I really think I could sit on the street in midtown Nashville selllng it out of my truck for quite a while before I got what I was asking for.

My approach when a friend offers to pay continues as "if you want a refill bring the jar back"
You’d think they’d have bigger problems to deal with. Meth etc.

That’s a good line to use with friends.

You’re probably right about midtown, on a Friday or Saturday night you could get away with it for a couple hours 🤣
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Stags wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:45 pm
elbono wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:06 pm

You’d think they’d have bigger problems to deal with. Meth etc.

That’s a good line to use with friends.

You’re probably right about midtown, on a Friday or Saturday night you could get away with it for a couple hours 🤣
I've never asked Metro and I'm not planning on it - they already fuc*'d up our town enough by inviting all the "kool kids" into the shiny new tall and skinny box houses... Selling likker would be too much work IMO. A real friend would bring the bottle back full of something else - even better if they made it and it had some age on it and i'm not far from the midtown area if a meetup opportunity ever comes along ;)

Had a few friends from out of town in my cellar into the wee hours last night testing and tasting - they had to call it lol and they didn't bring any top up either... We did share some 13yp Pappy Rye earlier in the evening though at the Red Phone Booth Speakeasy....

Cheers,
jonny
————
————
Whisky13
Novice

Post by Whisky13 »

I am down the road a bit by Manchester. Good to others from TN here.
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

Stags wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:45 pm You’re probably right about midtown, on a Friday or Saturday night you could get away with it for a couple hours 🤣
I was thinking more like a couple of months or years.

Between drunk tourists, ne'er do wells looking to rob them and general redneckery the popo got their hands full around there.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
Stags
Bootlegger

Post by Stags »

I haven’t been to red phone booth- any good?
Stags
Bootlegger

Post by Stags »

Whisky13 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:50 am I am down the road a bit by Manchester. Good to others from TN here.
Gives me piece of mind to realize there’s a bunch of us hobbyists out here for sure
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Stags wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:12 pm I haven’t been to red phone booth- any good?
RPB was a cool vibe for some whiskey and a cigar. I usually don’t drink out but this was an exception. And there was no loud band so that was a bonus too :) Skulls was also a great dinner and always has a cool jazz band. They were playing Brubeck when we got there.

Cheers,
J
————
————
Stags
Bootlegger

Post by Stags »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:59 pm
Stags wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:12 pm I haven’t been to red phone booth- any good?
RPB was a cool vibe for some whiskey and a cigar. I usually don’t drink out but this was an exception. And there was no loud band so that was a bonus too :) Skulls was also a great dinner and always has a cool jazz band. They were playing Brubeck when we got there.

Cheers,
J
Skulls used to be a personal favorite but unfortunately I think they’re foods gone downhill the last couple years. Any more if I want to spend big money on a meal it’s O-Ku or Jeff rubys