First On Grain stripping run

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

SV-Distiller
Novice

First On Grain stripping run

Post by SV-Distiller »

I am did my second batch of Booner's Casual All Corn but instead of ass pressing the grain before distilling, I distilled it on grain.

My setup is a 6.5 gallon Anvil Foundry with an Aliexpress 2 inch reflux column. For this run I used the included Anvil Foundry's perforated grain mash basket. I dumped the complete wash, with grain, directly into the grain mash basket inside the Anvil Foundry and ran it. Run time was the same as the off grain run but this time I got more product off the wash.

I ran the stripping run down to 8% ABV. I did not get any burning smell or burn taste in the low wines. No burn or scorching of the grain or anything in the left over wash. I did get the smell of boiled corn towards the end of the run but nothing in the low wines.

Clean up was a lot easier then doing the ass press and cleaning up the strainer bag and the mess of dripping wash.

I ran it on 220V 75% or about 2100 Watts. 18 Liters of wash (with grain) took 2.5 hours to strip 4.7 liters of 32% ABV low wines.

For my prior batch of BCAC that I ass pressed, I got 11.5 liters of wash off the grain and stripped 3.2 liters of 33% ABV low wines.

I plan on running the second stripping run tomorrow and then do the Vodka spirit run after Freedom Units Thanksgiving.
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: First On Grain stripping run

Post by bluc »

Nice gain👍
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

Is your heat source an in pot element or a hot plate?
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
SV-Distiller
Novice

Post by SV-Distiller »

Dancing4dan wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:23 am Is your heat source an in pot element or a hot plate?
The Anvil Foundry has a built in bottom plate element. It is a USA 110/220 volt option. I have it wired up for 220 volt which is 2800 Watts Max. 110 Volts is 1600 Watts Max. The Anvil Foundry has a built in power controller which allows you to setup a temp and also a power level. I set it to 100C/212F and adjust the power level. I start at 100% for about the first 30-40 minutes which is when I start to get product off the spout during a stripping run. I turn it down to 70-75% power to prevent puking/boil up in the column. I found that at 80% I get some puking/boil up into my site glass.

For spirit reflux runs, I have been running it at 50-55% 1400-1600 Watts.

I am running another 18 liter on grain batch right now (while watching the F1 race) and things are going about the same as the first on grain run.

When doing my clean up from the first batch, I did see signs that it does foam/boil up more then off grain.

After the freedom unit Thanksgiving, I plan on working on a batch of Honey Bear Bourbon (another first) and I plan on running it on grain also.
dragon9874
Novice

Post by dragon9874 »

SV-Distiller wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:05 am After the freedom unit Thanksgiving, I plan on working on a batch of Honey Bear Bourbon (another first) and I plan on running it on grain also.
... any update on that Honey Bear Bourbon @SV-D? i'm intrigued!! :-)
My Journey Started here: Cranky's Spoon Feeding!
10G pot still + 3.5G thumper + 4G condenser... all copper! d-(^^,)
{DWDSD} \m/(^_^) \m/
SV-Distiller
Novice

Post by SV-Distiller »

dragon9874 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:48 pm ... any update on that Honey Bear Bourbon @SV-D? i'm intrigued!! :-)
Thanks for the reminder, the local brew store was out of some of the grains. I need to give them a call to see if they got it in.
Dexters Lab
Novice

Post by Dexters Lab »

SV, Any updates?? I’d really like to hear more. Using same Anvil system but was refluxing only. I have over 100 lbs. of unused grain from brewing schedules that never happened. With all this aging grain on hand it’s time to venture into making a few whiskeys.

Cheers,

Dexters Lab.
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

This sounds like a great solution for stripping runs that will save time and mess. I just ordered a Grainfather S40 that was on for 50%. Hopefully I can modify the lid for a column. I don’t think the still spirits will fit it but will see.
Jsnoz
Novice

Post by Jsnoz »

hawkwing wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:00 am This sounds like a great solution for stripping runs that will save time and mess. I just ordered a Grainfather S40 that was on for 50%. Hopefully I can modify the lid for a column. I don’t think the still spirits will fit it but will see.
you’ve probably already figured this out but grainfather just released a distilling lid for the G40 / S40
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

I think it's for the G40/G70. I don't think it will fit. I did however drill a hole with a hole saw for a tri clover fitting. I plugged the small holes with stainless screws and nuts. I did have to paste with rye flour and water to seal it up around the lid and screws. It worked marvelously especially when stripping a grape pulp ferment. It made a terrible mess in my copper pot still. First time I have seen colored and burnt smelling distillate. Also way easier to use and larger batches.