White Star Yeast Strains

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bluegrass
Novice

White Star Yeast Strains

Post by bluegrass »

I have been making spirits for awhile now, and Just like everyone else, I struggled at first, but now I am to a point that my results are consistently the same, and I am happy with my products.

I have been preparing to set up some rums and Brandie’s in the next few weeks, and while I was researching my recipes for the rum, I stumbled across white star yeasts different rum varieties. They have Colonial, Tropical, and a couple of others. They also have several other strains dedicated to different whiskeys and the like.

I have never used any of these before, and I have searched on google and the site here, can’t seem to find anything on it.

Does anyone here have any experience with these? They seem to be rather expensive. 100 grams is 19.99, whereas my current favorite yeast is Red Star DADY at 9.99 per pound. That’s a big difference. Can the yeast be that much better?
To Drink, or not to Drink... That is the question.
PLAYMP
Bootlegger

Re: White Star Yeast Strains

Post by PLAYMP »

Thanks for sharing this, I'm also interested in different rum yeasts (aside from bakers) but rum yeasts generally seem to be a bit of a black hole. I wish this manufacturer could offer a little more details on each strain, even things like the optimal fermentation temp, efficiency, etc.

This is a producer that does it really well but it's limited to craft beer strains, although I have used them before for apple brandy to great results:

https://escarpmentlabs.com/pages/compare

I think I'm going to buy some C-70 for my upcoming rum exploits. The literature states it's used extensively in the carribean and at least offers a temp range.

https://fermentis.com/en/product/safspirit-c-70/

Edit to say I don't actually find the pricing too bad. I think it's buyer beware but I just had an experience with a 100% wheat spirit where I used a specialty wheat yeast strain that's given me absolutely amazing results and was worth every penny above DADY. The spice and banana and pineapple you would get with a hefeweizen all came through to the distillate beautifully and it's just a completely unique drink I'm not sure anyone has ever even tried before.
bluegrass
Novice

Re: White Star Yeast Strains

Post by bluegrass »

Interesting. I may just have to bite the bullet and try one. I’m really wanting to get the pineapple, coconut, and caramel flavors in this rum. Wife wants it for drinking and mixing. I like a good run myself, so I don’t mind spending to get the product I want.
To Drink, or not to Drink... That is the question.