New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hadleyburg Chef
Novice

Post by Hadleyburg Chef »

I’m not very friendly, and dislike posting on the internet generally. I went with this username assuming the handle “Old Man Winter” was already taken. I believe it’s important to share and make contributions, however- as it looks like there is quite a bit of knowledge and wisdom on this site.

I’m primarily interested in safe, effective home distillation for personal use- it’s been a very interesting hobby so far. I’m excited to learn more about different methods of cooling vapor in different still designs.

My current distillation skill level is “vevor”. It seemed like a better option than just trying to build one based off the instructions in the old Fox Fire books, though. I live on the West Coast currently and have about 4-5 runs under my belt so far. I’ve managed to cobble together (after a lot of reading) a sugar wash recipe that works fairly well. I’m looking forward to trying a mash next- possibly something with corn and barley.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: New Member

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome aboard Hadley, Ive seen more than one newb here say that some folk here are not very friendly......so you might just fit in yet. :lol:
Hadleyburg Chef wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:08 pm I’ve managed to cobble together (after a lot of reading) a sugar wash recipe that works fairly well.
You need go no further than here ~~~>viewforum.php?f=14
They are pretty much guaranteed fool proof. If its sugar wash your after try Shadys Recipe, if its a SugarHead try the UJSSM Recipe.
Hadleyburg Chef wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:08 pm My current distillation skill level is “vevor”. It seemed like a better option than just trying to build one
I'll have to disagree with that.
Hadleyburg Chef wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:08 pm based off the instructions in the old Fox Fire books,
Spend some time looking around the forum and you will find everything you need to build a much much better still.
The build threads are a great place to start and lots of people will guide you in the right direction.
Wildcats
Distiller

Re: New Member

Post by Wildcats »

Welcome aboard man. Check out the Tried and True. Have fun and stay safe.