Discussions of fruits, veggies and grains other then just mashing

Moderator: Site Moderator

stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Lets get carried away with fruity goodness

Post by stillanoob »

cranky wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:53 am

Hidden underneath all the Fuji and Braeburns was a whole bunch of what I'm assuming are Granny Smiths which aren't very tart but are quite sour. I'm not a fan of Granny Smiths and Mrs Cranky hates them, even in pies, so I've been scratching my head about what to do with 55 pounds of Granny Smiths.

I know I could chop and press them which would only get me about 3.5 to 4 gallons of juice,which isn't enough to bother digging out the chopper and press, cleaning them and pressing. unless I was testing chopper mods, but the chopper is so good now it doesn't need any more mods.

I could chop them in the food processor and press them on the little press but the little press is buried somewhere deep in the east tunnel of the garage and could take some time to extract not to mention the risk of a cave in which could cause serious injury and take considerable time to get out of.

So, this morning I figured since they are sour and not tart I would make some apple pie filling and see if that was somehow acceptable to Mrs Cranky. Miraculously it was :esurprised: So we now have a plan to make a big batch of apple pie filling and can it so we can make good apple pies for the next year or so :D
Yeah, I have no use for Granny Smiths. No sugar or taste for cider and a so-so for pie. The only good thing I can say is that they store well and if you want natural pectin they have plenty. I think a catapult would be about the best use.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

cranky wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:53 am ......
Hidden underneath all the Fuji and Braeburns was a whole bunch of what I'm assuming are Granny Smiths which aren't very tart but are quite sour. I'm not a fan of Granny Smiths and Mrs Cranky hates them, even in pies, so I've been scratching my head about what to do with 55 pounds of Granny Smiths.
So, this morning I figured since they are sour and not tart I would make some apple pie filling and see if that was somehow acceptable to Mrs Cranky. Miraculously it was :esurprised: So we now have a plan to make a big batch of apple pie filling and can it so we can make good apple pies for the next year or so :D
Funny thing is that was my first thought, we only use Granny Smiths when we make apple pies, the others are too sweet.

We make them and freeze them whole rather than tin the mixture, I would guess the mixture would freeze well also.
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

There seem to be 2 kinds of green apples, darker round ones and a slightly elongated lighter colored ones. The lighter ones are testing around 13 brix but the darker ones are 9-10 brix which explains the sour taste. The lighter ones aren't really sour but are slightly tart but sweet enough to compensate.

Our plan is to turn them into pie filling tomorrow or the next day, we are also going to can the apple butter tomorrow.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

stillanoob wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:14 pm Yeah, I have no use for Granny Smiths. No sugar or taste for cider and a so-so for pie. The only good thing I can say is that they store well and if you want natural pectin they have plenty. I think a catapult would be about the best use.
man it's my favorite cider apple! the best sweet/tart cider ever!
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

squigglefunk wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:27 am
stillanoob wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:14 pm Yeah, I have no use for Granny Smiths. No sugar or taste for cider and a so-so for pie. The only good thing I can say is that they store well and if you want natural pectin they have plenty. I think a catapult would be about the best use.
man it's my favorite cider apple! the best sweet/tart cider ever!
Well, we will have to agree to disagree. I find it dull as a sweet cider and no flavor at all once fermented. Best cider for me is a mix of sweet and tannic apples.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

stillanoob wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:37 am Well, we will have to agree to disagree. I find it dull as a sweet cider and no flavor at all once fermented. Best cider for me is a mix of sweet and tannic apples.
hmm the stuff I have had tastes like granny smith apples, my favorite, nice and tart! My second favorite is pear cider! mmm mmm good!
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

squigglefunk wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:08 am
stillanoob wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:37 am Well, we will have to agree to disagree. I find it dull as a sweet cider and no flavor at all once fermented. Best cider for me is a mix of sweet and tannic apples.
My favourite cider is Dickens...
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fredistiller »

Hi there,

Gosh! It's been a while since I posted here!

Summer 2022 was really good, too sunny and too hot to be okay but that's another subject. I went to my "secret garden of heaven" and picked some free grapes, blackberries and elderberries at the end of the summer. I could have picked more as the place is full of fruit... but time is the most precious thing in life.

I fermented the grapes in one vessel, and mixed black end elders together in another one as it gave good results until now. It's still fermenting but I plan to run both batches at the same time in one single run with the thumper really soon. I don't think I'll recycle my feints from 2021. I used a lot of rowan berries that year and I'm not happy with the result, it's way too acrid/strong to my taste.
Attachments
black and elderberries
black and elderberries
grapes
grapes
Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fredistiller »

After a first successful attempt with apples in 2021, I decided to go a bit bigger in 2022. I knew that my brother's best friend had one or two apple tree so I proposed him to make some brandy together. All I got was a polite "yeah sure, why not?" so I let him be.
I searched the internet and found a guy selling his "juice apples" for a very fair price. 80L juice made out of 140kg apples, using all my fermentation vessels, were just happily bubbling with them as my brother's best friend called me. And said that he had picked all his apples, and that from his brother in law and that we should start pressing them as soon as possible! I quickly bought extra fermentation vessels and we made 75L out of his apples. I used EC-1118 for his apples, giving a chance to the wild yeast of the 30 years old orchard to the one I bought.

The juice (SG 1.048-1.050) fermented completely for 5 month and gave an good smelling result. I ran the 1st run this weekend, giving 32.8L@30%. I never had so much low wines in my life! I'm curious about the results of the spirit run.
Attachments
20230219_121736(1).jpg
20221027_192629(1).jpg
I made a "chauffe-vin" to preheat the hard cider, with the recycled water from the condensor. It takes only half of the time to get to temp!
I made a "chauffe-vin" to preheat the hard cider, with the recycled water from the condensor. It takes only half of the time to get to temp!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Fredistiller wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:51 am After a first successful attempt with apples in 2021, I decided to go a bit bigger in 2022. I knew that my brother's best friend had one or two apple tree so I proposed him to make some brandy together. All I got was a polite "yeah sure, why not?" so I let him be.
I searched the internet and found a guy selling his "juice apples" for a very fair price. 80L juice made out of 140kg apples, using all my fermentation vessels, were just happily bubbling with them as my brother's best friend called me. And said that he had picked all his apples, and that from his brother in law and that we should start pressing them as soon as possible! I quickly bought extra fermentation vessels and we made 75L out of his apples. I used EC-1118 for his apples, giving a chance to the wild yeast of the 30 years old orchard to the one I bought.

The juice (SG 1.048-1.050) fermented completely for 5 month and gave an good smelling result. I ran the 1st run this weekend, giving 32.8L@30%. I never had so much low wines in my life! I'm curious about the results of the spirit run.
I'm glad someone had a good year :D my year was so bad I was considering actually buying apple juice :crazy:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

We did not get any apples this last year out at the island lucky our other apple trees came through. Last year we made around 40 gallons the year before 173 gallons.
Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fredistiller »

I ran all my fruits the last past month.

Berries + grapes are quite okay but have that acrid taste that I thought came from the rowan last year. But it's a spirit that changes tremendously with some times. It's a lot of work and time and but it stays my favourite.

I ran the 32L of low wines of apples in 2 batches. For the 1st, that I'll share with my brother's best friend who brought his apples, I made narrow cuts and intent to drink it white within a year of so. For the 2nd, I took broader cuts and lets it sit for a few years. It will be nice to compare the 2... if I can wait so long!
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

I need to check last year's brandy cider and see if it is ready to run. Probably is but it has been a long cold winter. Just sampled some of my 2 year old apple and it is getting really nice. Almost time to bottle it and call it a day. Haven't even tasted the run from last year. I'll let it sit until fall and then take a taste and see where it is headed.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Ya'll probably already know that last year was a total bust for me. Apples just didn't produce and everything else was too time consuming to deal with because my life spiraled out of control as it's apt to do. Not sure this year is going to be much better. I do have some apple low wines and 8 or 10 gallons of cider from '21 I never managed to get to. My '21 batch is still in the barrel, I've never even sampled it. The only '21 I have sampled is what I think of as my "special reserve". It is a half gallon of what was kept when I reran the '21 feints and it is exceptional, although for my tastes it's a little heavy on the wood but I think it is perfect for most people's.

The fruit trees here are looking very good. The pears look especially promising because, although they blossomed late they managed to blossom between storms so they managed to keep them long enough to get pollinated.

Plums did well too but blossomed a bit early but I don't think the late frost we had the other day harmed them.

The cherries are just now starting to blossom and my strawberries are doing very well.

Somebody also offers me all of their grapes this year if I can find the time to pick them. I gope things work out that I can do that this year.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

cranky wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:12 pm Ya'll probably already know that last year was a total bust for me. Apples just didn't produce and everything else was too time consuming to deal with because my life spiraled out of control as it's apt to do. Not sure this year is going to be much better. I do have some apple low wines and 8 or 10 gallons of cider from '21 I never managed to get to. My '21 batch is still in the barrel, I've never even sampled it. The only '21 I have sampled is what I think of as my "special reserve". It is a half gallon of what was kept when I reran the '21 feints and it is exceptional, although for my tastes it's a little heavy on the wood but I think it is perfect for most people's.

The fruit trees here are looking very good. The pears look especially promising because, although they blossomed late they managed to blossom between storms so they managed to keep them long enough to get pollinated.

Plums did well too but blossomed a bit early but I don't think the late frost we had the other day harmed them.

The cherries are just now starting to blossom and my strawberries are doing very well.

Somebody also offers me all of their grapes this year if I can find the time to pick them. I gope things work out that I can do that this year.
This year will also be a good year for me, I hope. I have access to a press now am surrounded by Apple trees and have a fellow who has no need for his juice anymore and will be sending it all my way.
I'm very excited for this year also 🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Hard to say how the year is going to shake out in my county. Long cold winter here but the plums went off on their usual schedule. Too early to tell how they set will be. Around here plums are boom or bust so we just have to wait and see the set. I am gone for almost all of June on a road trip to Alaska so I may miss them even if they do set. Way to early to tell about all the other fruit. Here is hoping!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

While out at the islands shrimping we stayed on the 40 acre farm with two apple orchards. The apple trees did not look great as the whole island has a caterpillar problem. We got a spray bottle filled it with dawn laundry detergent and sprayed all the nests. Seems to have killed most the nests but not sure what we will get this year.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Plums a bust this year. Peaches a bust. Apples look ok but not great. Ran last year's cider stripping run. Going to have to leave the low wines until I get back from Alaska.

I am at one of those ebbs in energy. I think apples are all I will do this year.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Apples look good here in N Colorado. So hope to run a batch of apple brandy. Would like to ferment on the pulp in hopes of getting more apple flavor. Question - when you ferment on the pulp does it mostly break down, or do I need to plan on squeezing similar to squeezing the grain after fermenting on grain?
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

subbrew wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:58 am Apples look good here in N Colorado. So hope to run a batch of apple brandy. Would like to ferment on the pulp in hopes of getting more apple flavor. Question - when you ferment on the pulp does it mostly break down, or do I need to plan on squeezing similar to squeezing the grain after fermenting on grain?
I personally would not ferment on the pulp. Cider is as full of flavor as you are going to get, the pulp is just cellulose or whatever. It really isn't going to add anything. If your shredding and pressing is done well and you taste the pommace you will find there is nothing of value left there. And what pulp manages to get by my pressing seems nasty when I rack. I do a long slow ferment as my cider house is unheated and so I do a primary ferment of a week to 10 days, then rack it off the trub and apple bits and allow to ferment until clear or I get to it.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

stillanoob wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:13 am

I personally would not ferment on the pulp. Cider is as full of flavor as you are going to get, the pulp is just cellulose or whatever. It really isn't going to add anything. If your shredding and pressing is done well and you taste the pommace you will find there is nothing of value left there. And what pulp manages to get by my pressing seems nasty when I rack. I do a long slow ferment as my cider house is unheated and so I do a primary ferment of a week to 10 days, then rack it off the trub and apple bits and allow to ferment until clear or I get to it.
I was hoping to get extra flavor mostly from the skins. I have a couple of gallons of brandy made from cider aging and it is good but just not as "applie" as I had hoped.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Made from fresh pressed? Or from a jar or can?

And what varieties you have access to will also dictate what flavor you get. Golden Delicious on it's own is bland. Mixed with Jonathan's or any bitter/tannic apple is great. I do a nibble test to see what flavors will come through after a ferment. Nibble the skin and the first 1/8" to 1/4" beneath the skin. I find those are the flavors that survive. So if you are getting fresh pressed hard cider that doesn't have enough flavor, source some tannic apples.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

stillanoob wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:19 am Made from fresh pressed? Or from a jar or can?

And what varieties you have access to will also dictate what flavor you get. Golden Delicious on it's own is bland. Mixed with Jonathan's or any bitter/tannic apple is great. I do a nibble test to see what flavors will come through after a ferment. Nibble the skin and the first 1/8" to 1/4" beneath the skin. I find those are the flavors that survive. So if you are getting fresh pressed hard cider that doesn't have enough flavor, source some tannic apples.
Thank you for the suggestions. My previous batch was fresh apple run through my press. But the apple selection was whatever tree I could find and the owner would let me pick, so variety was unknown.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Quite a few fruit crops didn't do well in NZ this season. I've made a few geist type products using fruit spirits from previous seasons, but no alcohol from free/cheap fruit for next year. I hope you in the northern hemisphere have a better season than we had here.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

subbrew wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:14 pm
stillanoob wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:19 am Made from fresh pressed? Or from a jar or can?

Thank you for the suggestions. My previous batch was fresh apple run through my press. But the apple selection was whatever tree I could find and the owner would let me pick, so variety was unknown.
In my experience the amount you press the apples matters greatly. the juice with the most flavor comes off the pulp without pressing. The harder you press the less flavor you get.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Now that I have a bit more time I would like to add to the above.

I have a pretty specific way of pressing. You may or may not know it but the current version of my apple chopper chops pretty finely. I will take that finely chopped pulp and put it in bags in the press and just let it bleed for a little while. This unpressed juice has the greatest and richest flavor.

I will then begin lightly pressing the bags of pulp. This gives juice with slightly less flavor but still lots of flavor and what can only be described as "mouth feel".

I will then relax and possibly move the bags a bit and do a hard pressing. This produces a lighter juice with less mouth feel.

I will then fluff or empty the bags and repack them with the nearly spent pulp. I often fold the bags in half at this point and give a very hard pressing, letting the press sit for a few minutes, It will bleed off pressure as it sits, I then add more pressure repeatedly until pressure doesn't bleed off. This gives a very light juice with store bought juice flavor and texture.

This method usually nets me right at 1 gallon of juice for every 13 lbs of apples.

I used to then freeze the pulp, thaw it and do one final pressing but found that this final pressing didn't contain enough flavor to bother with. It does contain usable sugar, in fact all pressings had equal sugar content regardless of flavor so this final step would be great if you need cheap fermentation for vodka or something but it is worthless for brandy.

I will also note that if you choose to heat the juice and go above 170f it will lose that mouth feel and flavor and be almost exactly like store bought juice.

If I recall correctly Calvadose is only lightly pressed and must extract no more than something like 60% of total weight in juice...or in other words since according to the interweb a gallon of apple juice weighs 9.5 lbs (or maybe 8.5 depending on who is answering) that's roughly a gallon for every 16.5 lbs of apples (a little over 14 lbs of apples if you believe 8.5 lbs per gallon). They say any more than that and you lose flavor and I believe they are right.

One of these days I'm going to have to weigh the juice as it comes off the press and see if there is a difference between unpressed and heavy pressed :problem: and if sugar content makes a difference. Also maybe compare it to the weight of store bought juice.

Now if you really want to take things to an extreme...

I have noticed my very best results come when I have enough juice to get an all apple feints run. This is a run with very little hearts but produces the finest brandies I make. These runs actually now get separated out for what I like to call Cranky's Special Reserve. I believe if I get enough juice in the future I will begin doing 3 runs rather than two and remove only the fores and hearts from the second run then doing a final spirit run and not add all the hearts back in when I blend.

Of course that cuts the overall take down but the hearts are still good for flavoring or any number of things but they do tend to take flavor away from the final batch.

I think I recall Chris mentioning something like this once.
Last edited by cranky on Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

My tree are actually producing quite well, apple and cherry especially so. My front yard tree is as loaded as the year is bent over and touched the ground. My strawberries are doing great as well :ebiggrin:
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Thanks Cranky. If I have plenty of apples this year I will try just taking the first part of the press for the brandy. I am also going to wait a week or so later to pick in hopes the sugar is a bit more and the acid a bit less as my cider tends to be a bit too tart.

On a different note, last winter was very cold here and I lost two of three peaches. I will replace one but I was thinking of putting an apple in the other spot. Anyone have a suggestion for an apple variety that would be a good cider apple and have some fireblight resistance?
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

subbrew wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:49 am Anyone have a suggestion for an apple variety that would be a good cider apple and have some fireblight resistance?
A big part of the answer to that will depend on where you live and what chill hours you tend to get and what heat in the summer. Some varieties will not produce reliably without enough chill hours and some do not do well in high summer heat.

And then what type of apple you need. It sounds like a tannic (bitter) or bittersharp type of apples might be good for you as you are seeking more flavor. This company has an amazing selection of varieties and the best info pages as well. Dig through their articles, well worth it:

https://www.orangepippintrees.com/trees ... pple-trees
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

stillanoob wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:06 am

A big part of the answer to that will depend on where you live and what chill hours you tend to get and what heat in the summer. Some varieties will not produce reliably without enough chill hours and some do not do well in high summer heat.

And then what type of apple you need. It sounds like a tannic (bitter) or bittersharp type of apples might be good for you as you are seeking more flavor. This company has an amazing selection of varieties and the best info pages as well. Dig through their articles, well worth it:

https://www.orangepippintrees.com/trees ... pple-trees
Thank you, I certainly should have been more specific. I am zone 5. So plenty of chill hours. Summers do get hot but rarely to100.