Doing my first real rum spirit run tomorrow, some Q's

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rumhead
Novice

Re: Doing my first real rum spirit run tomorrow, some Q's

Post by Rumhead »

Dont know how to do multiple "eeeh whatitscalled.."

Yes bottles was a thought i had but i only have large 750ml ones so it would have been clumsy. Someone mentioned glasses and cups before and that is also a good idea, for anyone else reading this later on. Very much a replay of a huge number of earlier threads this one.

What i was after in way of answer was the type HDNB JustinNZ and some others provided. Very helpful. Might have found the answers googling some more, but i had today to do this run and didnt really find the answers i wanted, so i decided to start this thread.

Regarding dumps i cant remember seeing jars or bottles at the dumps here, we have special bins around the town where they are recycled and lifted of by a truck. Someone mentioned glass recycles like a mofo and yes it does but it takes a lot of energy to manufacture and recycle so it isnt as eco friendly as wellpapp and others in the long run.

Im no treehugger by no means, but we get that with the breastmilk here.

If only us 10 million people recycle everything we will save the world for the 6 billion others who dont recycle. Yes box.
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

Rumhead wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:43 am Regarding dumps i cant remember seeing jars or bottles at the dumps here, we have special bins around the town where they are recycled and lifted of by a truck.
Take a large box, write on it in big clear writing "I'm a jam maker may I please have your jars?" Leave it in front of the glass recycling bin.
Collect your treasure weekly.

You can thank me later. :D
Make Booze, not War!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Like many old school New Zealanders with excess produce to preserve, we buy glassware for making jam & pickles etc. from an online supplier. They are cheap and fast. Search the net for a suitable supplier.

They also supply the same 500ml jars that I use for cuts, but in New Zealand, there are so many products for sale in these same jars that all we would have to do is put the word out to our friends that we wanted some and we would soon have more than enough, so I've never bought any. Charity shops here often have them cheap, or free, only running out when they are in high demand because there is a lot of fruit ripe.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Rumhead said,'Yes bottles was a thought i had but i only have large 750ml ones so it would have been clumsy.

I have a hundred or so tall, tapered one litre bottles I use. Wide cap, most often used when people make tomato sauce.

They take up no more bench space than smaller ones. Just fill each to the level you want. Works fine.

Had them so long that I can't remember where I got them but they would have been free or nearly.
Maybe a charity shop.
I bought a hundred replacement caps because some got a bit rusty...

Geoff
The Baker
Bolverk
Trainee

Post by Bolverk »

This might be an option if you can get glass beer bottles

There are two types of people in this world.
1. Those that can extrapolate from incomplete information.
Rumhead
Novice

Post by Rumhead »

Bolverk wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:14 am This might be an option if you can get glass beer bottles

This is actually a really good option for me as i can get free wine bottles in large amounts from a family member. Found one for 6usd on wish, well worth a try atleast. Shall see if i can get two of their beercases, would probably be a good size on the vessel, around 3sl for 2dl cuts.

Green and brown would work but i want white ones. Shall inspect the possibilities for this.

Thanks for the advice man!
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

I made a bottle cutter from a few bits of wood and a carbide cutting tip from a lathe, it works really well scoring a clean line around the bottle, then it's just hot/cold water to part the bottle and a polish with a diamond stone to smooth the edge.
Make Booze, not War!