PNW Meet and drink 2023

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: PNW Meet and drink 2023

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Damn I wish that your timing would of worked for our get together, will miss you.

stay safe
OVZ
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Oldvine Zin wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:06 pm Damn I wish that your timing would of worked for our get together, will miss you.

stay safe
OVZ
For sure. Stonecutter is gonna be there though, he's driving 12 hours each way.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
bigDave
Novice

Post by bigDave »

Interested in meeting up. Its tough not being about to talk about this cool hobby with anyone. Will send a PM when i check the calendar.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Super stoked to meet some you fellow hobbyists. It’s a hell of a long drive but I just don’t see very many opportunities coming up to meet anybody.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Stonecutter wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:46 pm Super stoked to meet some you fellow hobbyists. It’s a hell of a long drive but I just don’t see very many opportunities coming up to meet anybody.
aren't you from Alberta? come over anytime. i'm definitely not "somebody", but i am in the "anybody" group.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Uncle Pete
Novice

Post by Uncle Pete »

Hi, I'm new to this hobby/forum and live on the wet side of the PNW. Can Newbies attend?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Uncle Pete wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:18 pm Hi, I'm new to this hobby/forum and live on the wet side of the PNW. Can Newbies attend?
You ain't a fed are ya? :think:
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Uncle Pete
Novice

Post by Uncle Pete »

Deplorable wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:22 am
Uncle Pete wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:18 pm Hi, I'm new to this hobby/forum and live on the wet side of the PNW. Can Newbies attend?
Nope, Just a newbie still reading new member required reading and learning this forum navigation, so I don't ask questions that have been asked 100 times before :thumbup: MY EYES, OH MY EYES...lol Thought it would be kind of fun to meet hobbyist from same area before I head off to the woods for hunting seasons.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Uncle Pete wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:46 pm
Deplorable wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:22 am
Nope, Just a newbie still reading new member required reading and learning this forum navigation, so I don't ask questions that have been asked 100 times before :thumbup:
I think you'll find the group a knowledgeable and generous lot eager to share samples, successes and maybe even a near-miss or two. And more importantly, compare notes and perceptions in flesh and blood. As a newbie, I reckon much of the talk might be a tad over your head, so bring a notebook to jot the concepts and principles down for later research. Later, once you've checked all the boxes you'll be amazed at how much you've learned. This hobby's rabbit hole is endless. :mrgreen:

It goes without saying I'm envious of all who get to attend.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I hope you all are still planning to make the journey. See you all on the 19th of August.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

I’ll be your huckleberry
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Stonecutter wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:47 pm I’ll be your huckleberry
Lucky for you Huckleberries will be out of season by August. They should start coming on in the next few weeks though.

Mmmm, Huckleberry pie!😋
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Deplorable, I intend to join the fun in August. I’ve been thinking about what to bring and have a list of spirits to bottle before then. :ebiggrin: Can’t wait to share and try what other’s are making.

Parts and equipment swap
I have an assortment of new and used copper/brass/stainless fittings, bits and still parts that I don't have a use for. I figured if I bring these things to the meet-up that there may be somebody who would like to do some trading or pick some things up cheep. I’ll be bringing a few boxes of parts in the event folks are interested. I’m always looking for something new so folks may want to consider bringing their excess still and build parts.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

That sounds great Otis. Who knows what others might be in the market for.
It doesn't sound like anyone is up for a group buy on panela. I missed out on the last buy, so I may just have to make a trip down to see Ben and grab a sack or two from his shop. I'm ready to try my hand at Rum.
I put myself on the waitlist for another BadMo. I'm so impressed with how tight this one is, I think I need another one or three.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:50 pm That sounds great Otis. Who knows what others might be in the market for.
It doesn't sound like anyone is up for a group buy on panela. I missed out on the last buy, so I may just have to make a trip down to see Ben and grab a sack or two from his shop. I'm ready to try my hand at Rum.
I put myself on the waitlist for another BadMo. I'm so impressed with how tight this one is, I think I need another one or three.
Your comment about needing a few more BadMo barrels just sparked an idea for Ben, how about doing a subscription based order system? Based on your output, lets say a few gallons a month, have a standing order for 1 Badmo barrel each month. That would keep Ben busy.

I have a bit of surplus copper pipe in 2" , 3", and 4" that I'll bring down for the swap meet.

Stay safe
OVZ
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

That's a great idea. I'd probably be in for one every 3 months for at least a couple years before I really started scratching my head about where to put them.
I got the one, and before I knew it sales took off and they became unobtainium.
If things keep up like this, he'll be hiring a full time employee or 3 to keep up.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

I just started prepping for this event. Today I drained a 3.5 year old barrel of HBB. It finished at 70 ABV and at that wow lots of flavors, thinking about bringing a bottle at cask strength and another tempered down to about 45ABV. On the list of barrels to drain are a apple from 2018, a sugar shine from 2019, and a panella rum from 2019.

Stay safe
OVZ
BoilerMaker
Novice

Post by BoilerMaker »

Would be interesting to taste both cask strength and proofed down side by side. :thumbup:
I prepared some SCB that turned out pretty good - aged 2 yrs on gary oak + 6 months on ex-chardonay french oak stave.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

In anticipation of the up and coming meet and drink I drained a couple more barrels today. Both 4.5 years in barrel, a panela rum and a sugar shine.
See you all soon ans stay safe
OVZ
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Oldvine Zin wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:40 pm In anticipation of the up and coming meet and drink I drained a couple more barrels today. Both 4.5 years in barrel, a panela rum and a sugar shine.
See you all soon ans stay safe
OVZ
Dang OVZ, that's incredible. I'm really looking forward to getting to the point where I can share 3-4 year old spirits.
For this meet up I'm just looking for honest feedback from folks that have been at this a while who can teach me what can't be conveyed through the internet.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:46 pm
Dang OVZ, that's incredible. I'm really looking forward to getting to the point where I can share 3-4 year old spirits.
For this meet up I'm just looking for honest feedback from folks that have been at this a while who can teach me what can't be conveyed through the internet.
I'm about to drain a 5+ year old barrel of apple brandy, happy to share with all of you. Oh BTW if you are making and using all the help and info here on this site it's hard to go wrong, looking forward to taste what everyone brings :D

Stay safe
OVZ
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

So sad to hear that Ben AKA badmotivator will not be able to join us for this event, Rest in peace Ben.

Stay safe
OVZ
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Oldvine Zin wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:47 pm So sad to hear that Ben AKA badmotivator will not be able to join us for this event, Rest in peace Ben.

Stay safe
OVZ
We will raise a glass to Ben for sure. I was really looking forward to meeting him.
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

Would love to meet you lads....and see what you've made. Crossing country boarders would be an issue I'd think....lol.... Have fun and be safe!
GG
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Grappa-Gringo wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:38 am Would love to meet you lads....and see what you've made. Crossing country boarders would be an issue I'd think....lol.... Have fun and be safe!
GG
You could always show up empty handed,(no boarder issues) :D

Stay safe
OVZ
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

I would love to join you guys for this meetup! Only Hangup would be getting called out to a wild fire beforehand. I literally just found out about Ben from the Stillit YouTube channel. Ben and were friends, can’t say close, but I was known to have dinner with him and his family.
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still
modular 3" CCVM copper&stainless w/offset gin head
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Ben and many of the folk here were friends, please join us for a toast to him. I hope that you can make it to the meet and drink

Stay safe
OVZ
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

I made a single malt for a friend last year and gifted it to him in a Bad Mo #377, I have a bit of topping for that run. Going to see if I can pull a taste out of that barrel and then fill it with the topping bottle. Maybe we will have a toast out of that barrel to Ben.

Stay safe
OVZ
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Wow! That would be really special Oldvine Zin. The PNW “BadMo” meetup is going to be awesome. Ben will be there with us in spirit. I’m sure he’s got dibs on all the angels share coming out of his barrels. :angel:
I’ve got a good connection with a print screening and embroidery shop. I’ve been thinking about getting some shirts made for the meet up that incorporate BadMotivator somehow. I’ll be a bit crunched for time to get them done. Obviously Ben was a Star Wars fan but if anybody cares to share something about Ben that they think would do well on a shirt that would be great
-Thomas Paine
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

In addition to the fun of seeing friends and meeting new folks who share the love of stilling, I can’t wait to try some of what y’all have been making as well as share some of mine. Can’t wait to try OVZ’s 5 yr bourbon. :-).

Grappa Gringo, you don’t need to bring spirits with you across the boarder to join us. I would love to meet you and there should be plenty to drink there.

I just finished proofing/bottling up some things I want to share next month. Some oak, cherry, and apple aged rums, a 5 yr bourbon, a 5 year peated whiskey and a couple of young all rye whiskies.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels