Rum with oats rumskeyish maybe

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Ridgeback816
Novice

Rum with oats rumskeyish maybe

Post by Ridgeback816 »

So fo the final recipe I settled on 23 pbs of panela 12 lbs of lt brown sugar 10 lbs of flaked oats I converted them with enzymes also i only used 80 percent of the dosage and 2 lbs of molasses I didn't measure the water but my starting gravity was 1.074 I used ec 1118 the fermentation took 5 days to finish and it sat for another 4 days because I had a bunch of shit to do. The stripping runs went well I was a little concerned that it didn't smell much of rum, I ended up doing the stripping runs like I do a vodka strip where I keep everything over 40 percent anything under gets added back to the next strip, I find this cleans up/ reduces the amount of tails, it also dials back the flavor and I wasn't trying for a high ester rum anyway. The spirit run was just under 6 gallons at 40 percent came off the still at 82 percent aired out for a day ended up keeping 2 gallons of hearts cuts were easy as soon as the grain tails smell came i cut from hearts to tails. Its a nice clean rum there is no oat flavor in there but it's nice and thick on the tongue. I must have been good the wife and her friend drank 3 liters this weekend lol

On another note I have some interesting backset for the bourbon that I am about to start so that should end up fun.
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Rum with oats rumskeyish maybe

Post by Dougmatt »

Recipe sounds interesting.
Ridgeback816 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:42 pm I must have been good the wife and her friend drank 3 liters this weekend lol

Hopefully that was diluted and a LONG weekend!
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

No surprise that your batch did not smell much like rum. A batch made from pure panela is a nice drop but it does not smell like rum to me. I started adding just a little molasses to my panela rum for a light rum smell. For what I was looking for I landed on 20% molasses to 80% panela and my rums now have just a light rum smell to them. Your batch looks like about 6% molasses. You’ll need a lot more molasses if you want that traditional rum smell/taste.

A good indicator of success is people liking what you make. Congratulations on the successful batch.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

EC1118 wont help with flavor either its more suited to fruits and Neutrals
Ridgeback816
Novice

Post by Ridgeback816 »

Dougmatt wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:48 pm Recipe sounds interesting.
Ridgeback816 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:42 pm I must have been good the wife and her friend drank 3 liters this weekend lol

Hopefully that was diluted and a LONG weekend!
Fuck me it was a long weekend they drank that in 2 days lol. I did settle on 6 percent molasses it actually gave it enough so you know it was rum but if your not a rum fan you still liked it. If/ when the wife tells me I make it again I would probably double the molasses to 4 lbs and drop the the lt brown sugar to 10. Either way a bunch of drunk women running around is still a win in my book
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I've done a few rat bastard rumski's on spent grains with some spent grain, fresh mashed grain, panela, and molasses. I didn't really measure everything religiously and used what I had on hand. I feel like I used a higher grain ratio and mostly panela for the bulk of the ETOH plus a couple jugs of molasses in the fermenter for flavor. It turned out well and i'll do it again after my AG runs. Might use a blend of either sugar + molasses or straight panela + a little bit of molasses on top of spent grains + fresh mash next time to try to hit that point of balance right between a whiskey and rum..

Cheers,
jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————