Old guy in a new hobby/endeaver

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Old one-eye Joe
Novice

Old guy in a new hobby/endeaver

Post by Old one-eye Joe »

Well, as the title says, I am fairly old (70) and have made wine before. I am finding out this is a whole lot more complex. That will be part of the intrigue. I would like to try to make a standard Bourbon style whisky with the twist of aging it with different woods. First, I have to get it in the jar. As a retired director of a small state agency dealing with driving under the influence, I am familiar with the final product(s). I have a healthy respect for avoiding methanol, perhaps bordering on paranoia. The one eye in my screen name is true. Last October, I lost my left eye in a different hobby and am alive by the grace of God. Made a pact with my self not to do anything else stupid. I am just finding out this is trickier than making wine.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Old guy in a new hobby/endeaver

Post by Stonecutter »

Welcome in Brother. See you down the rabbit hole
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Welcome old guy, from another old(ish) guy.

I’ll save you some time and tell you that you can forget about methanol all together and not worry about it again. You won’t create enough methanol to concern yourself over, even when making Brandy, which is the type of spirit that produces the most. (Comes from fermenting Pectin found in fruit). Methanol so not isolated easily (likes to cling to water) so what little methanol you do produce will be spread throughout the run. I hear there is more methanol in a glass of OJ than there is in brandy drink. All the reports I have read about methanol poisoning comes from adulterated spirits, where someone intentionally adds methanol to spirits to boost ABV so they can make more money.

Trying different wood can be fun. What types of wood are you thinking of trying.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Yes this is the welcome center, and welcome. but everyone new and old should read this.

search.php?keywords=methanol+myth
be water my friend
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Welcome to HD.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Welcome aboard man. You're in the right place. Have fun and stay safe.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Welcome to the forums. There is much to read here. Have fun and be safe.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Old one-eye Joe
Novice

Post by Old one-eye Joe »

OtisT wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:19 pm Welcome old guy, from another old(ish) guy.

I’ll save you some time and tell you that you can forget about methanol all together and not worry about it again. You won’t create enough methanol to concern yourself over, even when making Brandy, which is the type of spirit that produces the most. (Comes from fermenting Pectin found in fruit). Methanol so not isolated easily (likes to cling to water) so what little methanol you do produce will be spread throughout the run. I hear there is more methanol in a glass of OJ than there is in brandy drink. All the reports I have read about methanol poisoning comes from adulterated spirits, where someone intentionally adds methanol to spirits to boost ABV so they can make more money.

Trying different wood can be fun. What types of wood are you thinking of trying.
Well, I feel better about the methanol thing. It surprised me that there was any at all. Still going to throw out (burn) the first half cup of any run. I have all manner of trees growing on my acreage. I'm starting with charred wild cherry. But I have red and white oaks, pecan, hickory, sassafras, and a few that I won't ever try. If it stinks to smoke food with it, there's no point. That lets out black walnut, locusts of all kinds and any soft woods like pine. I would appreciate your experiences with various woods. Thanks,