Notable and quotable

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: Notable and quotable

Post by Yummyrum »

LOL Normandie , that ones pretty hard to beat .

WTF Salty :clap: I’d like to see that one on stamp collecting forum :ebiggrin:
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Its just the truth Yummy, Ive wanted to type that for a very long time, but haven't ......every single time I see a newb saying they want to buy a super cheap still ........just to see how the hobby works.
I can see how/what they are thinking , but in reality it makes no sense at all.
You and I both started out with store bought stills that where far from perfect.....but they were a hell of a lot better to learn on than this current crop of cheap shit.
Would we have gone the same route had we been warned by people who knew good from bad? Or might it have scared us away from the hobby totally .......its a fine line I guess.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:41 am You and I both started out with store bought stills that where far from perfect.....but they were a hell of a lot better to learn on than this current crop of cheap shit.
Haa haa , I’d almost put this up for N&Q too Salty , but its surely unfair to double dip :D

But I totally agree .These cheap arse Chinese shit boxes are an embarrassment to the hobby .
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:41 am You and I both started out with store bought stills that where far from perfect.....but they were a hell of a lot better to learn on than this current crop of cheap shit.
It's funny. I nearly bought one (well, an unbadged one direct from China) and the fact that it was a possibility and that I had a price gave me a budget. Then I read a little here (which I found via a site which is a translation of HD into French) and discovered I could build a keg still and liebig for around the same price as a crappy vevor.

So I was one of the lucky ones!
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Stonecutter wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:56 pm
Harley wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:42 pm
If a there's any other questions that I should be asking then please add them. Thanks in advance for the insights!
I think the one question you should be asking yourself is…. “Now where the hell is that search function?”
be water my friend
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Its a long one but I think it belongs here. Well put Yummy.

Laredo7mm wrote: ↑Mon May 01, 2023 10:52 am
It is interesting that some people here have no problem using a hydrometer, but shun the use of a thermometer.

That kinda implies that “Some People here” would have a black and white approach to using anything that takes measurements .

That is far from the truth .
Those people have spent real time in their sheds doing many more fermentations and distillations than I bet you have done .

They have watched thermometers for countless hours and realised , they give no useful info that running a hand over their still can provide .

They have realised that a hydrometer is a useful tool for calculating potential Alc and watching fermentation progression .

They have realised that an Alc meter is far more accurate than throwing a teaspoon of liquor in a fire . :ewink: ….. and safer . :ebiggrin:

They have worked out that using a thermometer to keep a fermentation at an optimum temp will produce a better product .

They have realised that using a thermometer to monitor mashing temp is vital to getting optimum conversion when mashing .
They have realised that checking pH before adding Enzymes and adjusting has helped conversion .

They have realised that a drop of fruit juice in a Refractometer gives a more accurate reading than measuring the pulp in a hydrometer .

They have realised that collecting spirit at a particular l/hr gets them the results they like .

Point is that advice such as “Thermometers are pointless” is not just a flippant comment but rather a real statement based on thousands of Home distillers that have been members here over the last almost 20 years that have personally experienced the same results .

If it works , we use it . If its pointless crap , we’ll tell you .
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:32 am Its a long one but I think it belongs here. Well put Yummy.

Laredo7mm wrote: ↑Mon May 01, 2023 10:52 am
It is interesting that some people here have no problem using a hydrometer, but shun the use of a thermometer.

That kinda implies that “Some People here” would have a black and white approach to using anything that takes measurements .

That is far from the truth .
Those people have spent real time in their sheds doing many more fermentations and distillations than I bet you have done .

They have watched thermometers for countless hours and realised , they give no useful info that running a hand over their still can provide .

They have realised that a hydrometer is a useful tool for calculating potential Alc and watching fermentation progression .

They have realised that an Alc meter is far more accurate than throwing a teaspoon of liquor in a fire . :ewink: ….. and safer . :ebiggrin:

They have worked out that using a thermometer to keep a fermentation at an optimum temp will produce a better product .

They have realised that using a thermometer to monitor mashing temp is vital to getting optimum conversion when mashing .
They have realised that checking pH before adding Enzymes and adjusting has helped conversion .

They have realised that a drop of fruit juice in a Refractometer gives a more accurate reading than measuring the pulp in a hydrometer .

They have realised that collecting spirit at a particular l/hr gets them the results they like .

Point is that advice such as “Thermometers are pointless” is not just a flippant comment but rather a real statement based on thousands of Home distillers that have been members here over the last almost 20 years that have personally experienced the same results .

If it works , we use it . If its pointless crap , we’ll tell you .
Well said.feeling the pipe for the vapor rise is all the thermostat I have in my still. Works for me.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Goose once (or maybe more?) commented how "ole boys" can't even see the thermometer at night. Naturally, I'm paraphrasing.
I would imagine a well lit work space could have been asking for trouble to some of those "ole boys"?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

Re: Badmotivator
NormandieStill wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:50 pm He was a master innovator indeed. I watched the video tour of his workshop. A lot of time and thought went into making his life just a little bit easier and more efficient. And generous to a fault with his knowledge. I couldn't justify the shipping cost of a barrel, or the cost of buying multiple ones. And one day I'll probably end up making some, but he's one of two innovative people I've encountered who intuitively understood that those who wanted to just buy one, would, and those who wanted to try and build one probably would too, so rather than hold back your secrets, best to provide a little help.

Here's to you Ben, and your legacy of making the world (and some spirits) just a little bit better.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

still_stirrin wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:36 pm
But, if appearances will help you “drop the panties”, then it may be worth it. Obviously the best answer is always serve fresh panty droppers.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
GrumbleStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrumbleStill »

Deplorable wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:15 pm
People ask me all the time if I make "traditional shine". The reply is always the same. "FUCK NO! There is no sugar in my shed. All Grain, all the time."

Love this one :D
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

This whole thread
viewtopic.php?t=56356

Stay safe
OVZ
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Been a while since I've read that. He was a hell of a craftsman . Rip Ben
bunny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bunny »

"This discussion is interesting and thus far has been moving along with enthusiastic participation.
But please be mindful not to declare perceived or expected still behavior as a matter of fact. If you don't have first hand experience or
a documented example to bring to the table to make your point, then it would be best to frame one's thoughts in the form of a
question rather than a practical observation." -LWTCS
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Don't silence the voice of dissent, listen.
Before deciding if their making mountains out of mole hills. :lol:
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

jedneck wrote: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:18 pm Folks can toss out advice until the cows come home, or the Buffalo Bills win the Superbowl, but what you need is consistent practice...
Mr. Rad
Bump
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Yummyrum wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:54 am The real education begins when you want to learn for yourself
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

"When I started this hobby I had no idea there were so many rabbit holes to fall into."

From our good friend Twisted Brick
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

shadylane wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:05 am Since time and gravity are against me.
It's nice when I can use both to my advantage. :lol:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:22 am
cupofkings wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:27 pm i'm not great with navigating this old school page
Distilling is an old school art/ craft.....best get used to doing it the old school way.
Ain’t that the truth!
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

HDNB wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:22 pm don't worry about them. adds flavour, what doesn't get stuck in your teeth will get filtered out by your liver.
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

"There's a lot of good info coated in snark and smart-assery headed your way, don't let it get you down. Lots to learn in this hobby and lots of ways to learn it, experience being one of the best!

TwoSheds"

Just read this one in a thread on stalled sugar wash.
Classic.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Swedish Pride wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:48 pm Nah for scotch I only strip once, for Irish potstilled I strip the same spirit twice then spirit run.
Fill the boiler with low wines if you can, makes for best chance of making good cuts.
Air or the side of caution on heads, with tails be brave, it'll age out, especially in a barrel
Epic!
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”